Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver member
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the 2018 111s got the new & improved pistons, right? Did the '18s also get the better valve springs or did that happen in 2019? Tried a search but didn't find a clear answer.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
2019 on the valve springs - but I do not have any inside information to base this observation on. It is best to check multiple sources when determining the precise detail of these changes. Some dealerships have very sharp parts personnel, others - maybe a bit of a crap shoot. A call to Polaris might help in some instances where you are struggling to get accurate information.

·
Silver member
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diesel. Guess I'll be making some phone calls.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Thanks Diesel. Guess I'll be making some phone calls.
Just based on published information on part numbers, I would trust the valve-spring information - 2019 and forward. I have not recently done any checking on pistons... you can run the 2019 part number vs the 2018 part number to compare though. Bear in mind that Polaris did not always have all of their information accurate and up to date with some of these changes either, despite having published parts references. I would also wonder about the exact change-over date and demarcation points - maybe does not 100% follow the year model changeover. It should follow serial number ranges - in a perfect world.

·
Silver member
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just based on published information on part numbers, I would trust the valve-spring information - 2019 and forward. I have not recently done any checking on pistons... you can run the 2019 part number vs the 2018 part number to compare though. Bear in mind that Polaris did not always have all of their information accurate and up to date with some of these changes either, despite having published parts references. I would also wonder about the exact change-over date and demarcation points - maybe does not 100% follow the year model changeover. It should follow serial number ranges - in a perfect world.
Understood. Manufacturers do not always "keep up". I asked because I've been considering 558s for my '15 Vintage and would feel more comfortable with the better springs and seats. But then, my '15 does have a bit of a "rattle" starting in the 2500 RPM range and I think that could be from the pistons. That said, I'm also considering looking for a 2019 left over thinking/hoping I'd get both the improved pistons and springs. Going with a 2019 would be more $$ obviously, but I like the idea of the longer piston skirts. It's kind of a big decision for me, as I'm an old retired fart and want/need to make the right decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts