Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the updated BB Kit installed2 weeks ago and went out to ride the bike for the first time today. It turned over really slow for 3-4 seconds and then kicked off. The check engine light was flashing so I shut it down. I restarted and it started right off and the check engine flashed again. I started again and got the light again but this time it stayed solid. Checked the display and it showed a cyl misfire. I got my pvcx and cleared to codes, started again and got a solid light again and it shows a cyl misfire.

Looked in the manual and it says that after 3 misfire reports the fuel to the cyl in question is shut down until the code is cleared,.. problem is I can't clear the code and I am 7 hrs round trip from the dealer that did the work. The dealer where I bought it from is close by but I just don't trust their revolving door of techs..

Any ideas?

Mark

·
Bronze member
2,120 Posts
Don't know if this will help ya or not,but I too was getting that code and the flashing check engine light which happened a number of times [yet the motor was running fine] before I FINALLY figured out what was goin on.In my case,the plug wire on the left cylinder was actually laying on the top of the motor which caused the light to go on.So I took a piece of rubber fuel line,split it so I could slip it over the plug wire where it was laying on the top of the valve cover [I did both sides] an wola,NO MORE CHECK ENGINE light and that was over a year and 17,000 miles ago.So check your plug wires to make sure they're not resting on the cylinder head.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know if this will help ya or not,but I too was getting that code and the flashing check engine light which happened a number of times [yet the motor was running fine] before I FINALLY figured out what was goin on.In my case,the plug wire on the left cylinder was actually laying on the top of the motor which caused the light to go on.So I took a piece of rubber fuel line,split it so I could slip it over the plug wire where it was laying on the top of the valve cover [I did both sides] an wola,NO MORE CHECK ENGINE light and that was over a year and 17,000 miles ago.So check your plug wires to make sure they're not resting on the cylinder head.
It is laying on the top of the head as there is a strap holding it there...

Mark

·
Bronze member
2,860 Posts
Check that plug wires are fastened properly, maybe pull them make sure no moisture or water got in them Could be the techs left wiring too close to the cylinders causing the insulation to melt causing a dead short to the coil pack on the suspecting cylinder

·
Bronze member
2,120 Posts
It is laying on the top of the head as there is a strap holding it there...

Mark

So was mine.I slipped that piece of hose under the wire where it was resting on the head right up to that wire clamp which lifted it off the head and that fixed my problem.And that was 14 months and 17,000 miles ago.I am a happy camper!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Probably have a bad plug wire, I have had it happen to 6 out of 22 bbk I built.
When they tore it apart to install the bbk a plug got ruined.
I ohm every plug wire every time I take them out to check if 1 got ruined.
Their plug wires suck, there is aftermarket ones coming soon in the next few months.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Pull the main fuse on the left side, wait 30 seconds and reinstall.
Clear codes with the PVCX controller.
Its the VCM fuse and you dont need the PVCX controller.
It located under the left side panel, towards the left inside box. Two long fuses. Its marked on box lid which one is the VCM fuse.
Pull and leave out for 10 seconds.
This clears the clock and any presets on the radio as well.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its the VCM fuse and you dont need the PVCX controller.
It located under the left side panel, towards the left inside box. Two long fuses. Its marked on box lid which one is the VCM fuse.
Pull and leave out for 10 seconds.
This clears the clock and any presets on the radio as well.
I pulled positive cable, didn’t clear it

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Probably have a bad plug wire, I have had it happen to 6 out of 22 bbk I built.
When they tore it apart to install the bbk a plug got ruined.
I ohm every plug wire every time I take them out to check if 1 got ruined.
Their plug wires suck, there is aftermarket ones coming soon in the next few months.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Finally! An Indian Tech/Mechanic that is more than a mere "Parts Replacer"! You Rock! @thomasjt579 !

·
Bronze member
2,120 Posts
That's because the problem is still there.Is the motor skipping or running smooth??If it's running smooth,yet the light is on,then it's the same problem I had.And what I did corrected it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts