Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which would you choose for riding hard?

• Pirelli Night Dragon

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Metzeler Cruisetec

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Avon Cobra Chrome

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Elite 4

Votes: 3 14.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already searched but I can't find any Chieftain riders that have tried the Night Dragons.

I ride hard...I love the corners. Longevity isn't as important to me as cornering grip. The Elite 3 rear (16") and American Elite front (19") have actually been decent to me but the roll in is starting to get wonky 7,000 miles in and the wet performance isn't that good. Has anyone used either of these other tires on their tour/bagger model Indian OR does anyone have and other recommendations?

Throwing in a poll for giggles.

·
Bronze member
3,435 Posts
only Elite 3 factory and now Elite 4 on my Limited... but back in the day riding the rockies with my Vegas... the Avon had the best grip but the shortest life span... the Metzeler ME 880 was a very good compromise good grip and a little better life span...

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
You love sticky tires for curve carving and don't care too much about wear?

Why have Avon Cobra Chrome not found their way on to your list of candidates?

I am on my second set ... after factory Dunlops which became too dry after 2 years in the heat here ... then tried Metzeler ME888 WWWs ... the ME rear desintegrated/had severe tread seperation in their first summer here.
The I went Avon Cobra ... then Cobra Chrome and could not be happier!
(Just make sure to follow AVONS pressure recommendations which are slightly higher and not the Indian User Manual which only accomodates for the stiff Dunlops)

Lean as lean can ... rear muffler bodies and floor boards/brackets are carrying their battle scars with pride!

I have meanwhile 80000kms on my Chief Classic (pimped up with hard bags and windshield)... the last half on Avons ...

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have cruistec tires on my 2016 cheiftain dark horse i have put a little over 2000 miles on them . I went with them because i wanted more grip then stock. I have a 16 inch front wheel not a 19 . They made my riding experience way worse then the stock tires. they dont track well and you really have to lean the bike over when turning . Not sure if I got a bad batch of tires or if i got something else going on. curious to see if anyone else has tried them on there cheiftain.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I have cruistec tires on my 2016 cheiftain dark horse i have put a little over 2000 miles on them . I went with them because i wanted more grip then stock. I have a 16 inch front wheel not a 19 . They made my riding experience way worse then the stock tires. they dont track well and you really have to lean the bike over when turning . Not sure if I got a bad batch of tires or if i got something else going on. curious to see if anyone else has tried them on there cheiftain.
I have them on my RM. I don't have any of the issues that you are describing.

Reactions: Richvic74

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have them on my RM. I don't have any of the issues that you are describing.
Thanks for the reply I must have something else going on . i didnt have the dealership install the tires had a local indy shop . When I have my recall done I'll have them check it out .

·
Registered
5 Posts
i run the night dragons front and rear.. always had great mileage and traction with them used to run metzler 880 but no grip or mileage

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
Another thing about Metzler is where they are made. The Brazilian made ones are crap and the German made ones are good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Already searched but I can't find any Chieftain riders that have tried the Night Dragons.

I ride hard...I love the corners. Longevity isn't as important to me as cornering grip. The Elite 3 rear (16") and American Elite front (19") have actually been decent to me but the roll in is starting to get wonky 7,000 miles in and the wet performance isn't that good. Has anyone used either of these other tires on their tour/bagger model Indian OR does anyone have and other recommendations?

Throwing in a poll for giggles.
I have run the Night Dragons on a 2001 Suzuki LC1500 and they are Excellent on Dry or Wet Pavement and on Steel Bridges, aggressive riding or not. Traded the bike before wearing the tires out, but had about 9,500 miles on them and they had a lot of tread left!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts