Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing a cat delete I felt I was still getting to much heat although it helped. Bought a wrap kit off of amazon for 15 bucks if I remember right. Wrapped both header pipes and the collector and still have some leftover. It was the 2 inch by 50 ft. kit. Came with stainless straps and gloves. Anyway after about 500 miles I believe this is going to make it bearable in 90 plus heat. So if you delete the cat I would recommend wrapping at the same time.

·
Bronze member
1,499 Posts
I had my cat wrapped before I got rid of it, and haven't needed to do anything about it since then. It did help when I had it on, however after only a year, the metal of the pipe was starting to corrode. There have been cases where the pipes will rot from the inside out when they are wrapped, so something to think about.

Also, I have found that in the hottest weather, the following combination works best at keeping things cool:

Left Lower (when on the bike): Barn Door open and upper deflector in the up position
Right Lower: Barn door closed and upper deflector down.

For whatever reason, I have tried every combination and the above combo has kept me cool up to 100 degrees. That's moving of course, aint nothing going to fix it when you are sitting or moving in parade traffic.

Reactions: ThumperW

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wrapped mine also and it made a major difference. I've been wrapping pipes for since the 80's on cars and bikes without any issues. Some claim it makes the metal rust. I've never have figured out how a hot pipe retains any moisture when you get caught in the rain, but thats what some people believe.
Heatwrap3.jpg

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nice job. Do the pipes need to be removed to apply the wrap?
Yes. The wrap is easiest to work with when its been soaking in water. Makes it a lot easier to wrap tight. Taking everything off the bike can be a real pain in the azz to do. You'll want to do it on a rainy day. I had a hard time getting the mufflers off and the rear brake pedal/master cylinder has to be unbolted and held out of the way. Before I put everything back together I bought a muffler pipe expander which really helped getting everything back. Also, when reassembling, you want everything left loose before tightening. I made the mistake of tightening the crossover and then expecting the mufflers to fit back. :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Now that sounds like a lot of work. Thank's for all of the info. What do you think about just wrapping around the cat and then some to avoid pulling the whole system off?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like they sell ceramic coatings. My pipes came off fairly easily actually. I’m thinking two hour job. I think if you wash your bike maybe run it for a few minutes to dry the wrap out would really help. It does hold water but should dry right out in just a few minutes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Be cautious...pipe wrap can rot your headers.
At least the article did mention this............."Engineers, Metallurgists, and other experts out there will state that there is no way that the material can fail because it was designed to withstand the internal temperatures of exhaust gases." I wonder what century perforamaces opinion is on heat treating techniques where in some instances you want metal to cool slowly so it is more flexible. The article is similar to a Chevy ad saying to buy only Chevys because they are the only safe vehicle on the road. All I know is that I've been wrapping pipes for 40+ years and have never had any issues. The only failures I've known of was people wrapping bad/old pipes mainly to hide the discoloration etc. In that case, the metal was already doomed to failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts