Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Turn some of these pins into seat bolts. I ride solo and would love to slap a bonehead in place of the ugly Allen bolt that holds the passenger seat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I
A few years ago we went to an estate sale in Johnson City.
We went on a lark, spur of the moment thing.
It just so happened that the estate was that of an LBJ artifact collector.....all kinds of memorabilia from The Great Society.

I walked over to a table that had a Stetson hat box....don't tell me.....damn it.
I opened the lid to find a nice fawn Open Road with the gold LBJ initials imprinted in the hatband.
It was all I could do to take my next breath.
Before anyone could stop me....it fit like a glove....and they took MasterCard.
It's not very often that you spend $3,500.00 for a hat.....not me anyway....but I did that day.

It's a very old one, very soft. It has the string wind trolley with the button on the end of the string. That button would go into the buttonhole on a suit lapel. It kept you from losing your hat on a windy day.

This hat rates right up there with a couple of daddy's shootin irons as my most prized possessions.
LBJ said that cowboy hats were for the boys who worked the ranch.
The Open Road is worn by the man who owns the ranch.

The Open Road was also Ronnie's favorite.
The morning JFK was killed in Dallas, John Connolly,Governor of Texas gave him an Open Road as a present. JFK tried it on but it messed up his hair. Jackie laughed and shook her head no....JFK handed it to an aide and history was made.

I just got a new Open Road straw for summer....
I bought my 1st open road in comfort tx in late 80s it was from the 60s even then,i was younger and it was bigger but i wanted it then. My newer own i got but its a full brim,only break it out in winter if i do. Im a hat guy and also collector of Johnson collectibles(lighters,pens,tie pins,buttons, etc)aside,that hat you speak of must be amazing. I was told by Luci Johnson and his grandson that at a bbq once they gave away over 500 open roads and could make the crown how you wanted on site.I make it a point to visit the ranch when around there,always so much history. I tip my hat to you ! Side note- that boss of the plains looks nice.Nice brim and crown height. Sounds like big d speed shop knows whats up:)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts