Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Bonehead is going on my Silver Belly Open Road!

Reactions: Big Daddy

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Silver Belly Open Road... Perspective is weird, but its an early '70s Stetson Open Road, now worn by my husband. @Big Daddy wears his on a sailor cap, got a picture somewhere.

View attachment 39899
A few years ago we went to an estate sale in Johnson City.
We went on a lark, spur of the moment thing.
It just so happened that the estate was that of an LBJ artifact collector.....all kinds of memorabilia from The Great Society.

I walked over to a table that had a Stetson hat box....don't tell me.....damn it.
I opened the lid to find a nice fawn Open Road with the gold LBJ initials imprinted in the hatband.
It was all I could do to take my next breath.
Before anyone could stop me....it fit like a glove....and they took MasterCard.
It's not very often that you spend $3,500.00 for a hat.....not me anyway....but I did that day.

It's a very old one, very soft. It has the string wind trolley with the button on the end of the string. That button would go into the buttonhole on a suit lapel. It kept you from losing your hat on a windy day.

This hat rates right up there with a couple of daddy's shootin irons as my most prized possessions.
LBJ said that cowboy hats were for the boys who worked the ranch.
The Open Road is worn by the man who owns the ranch.

The Open Road was also Ronnie's favorite.
The morning JFK was killed in Dallas, John Connolly,Governor of Texas gave him an Open Road as a present. JFK tried it on but it messed up his hair. Jackie laughed and shook her head no....JFK handed it to an aide and history was made.

I just got a new Open Road straw for summer....

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few years ago we went to an estate sale in Johnson City.
We went on a lark, spur of the moment thing.
It just so happened that the estate was that of an LBJ artifact collector.....all kinds of memorabilia from The Great Society.

I walked over to a table that had a Stetson hat box....don't tell me.....damn it.
I opened the lid to find a nice fawn Open Road with the gold LBJ initials imprinted in the hatband.
It was all I could do to take my next breath.
Before anyone could stop me....it fit like a glove....and they took MasterCard.
It's not very often that you spend $3,500.00 for a hat.....not me anyway....but I did that day.

It's a very old one, very soft. It has the string wind trolley with the button on the end of the string. That button would go into the buttonhole on a suit lapel. It kept you from losing your hat on a windy day.

This hat rates right up there with a couple of daddy's shootin irons as my most prized possessions.
LBJ said that cowboy hats were for the boys who worked the ranch.
The Open Road is worn by the man who owns the ranch.

The Open Road was also Ronnie's favorite.
The morning JFK was killed in Dallas, John Connolly,Governor of Texas gave him an Open Road as a present. JFK tried it on but it messed up his hair. Jackie laughed and shook her head no....JFK handed it to an aide and history was made.

I just got a new Open Road straw for summer....
Great story! Summer my husband wears a Borsalino he's had for ages, but I should get him to try a straw Open Road. The two hats he wears are mostly the Open Road (work week, pushing pencils) and the Boss of the Plains, pictured below, when the weather is bad. Hats are cool, and Texas has the best.

image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts