Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pingleshiftscoutorhd.jpg

click up -- click down - all with a thumb and no clutch $1156.00 for a Scout.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Reactions: Rudy Smith

·
Registered
147 Posts
I want one and have been looking at them. But I want an air shifter, it only has to up shift for me(who would use it to down shift?). The only advantage I would see here is that there is no air tank to hide but has a higher price. I have a friend that has an air shifter on his Hayabusa and when he turns the system on the horn button becomes the up shift button, that's what I would like to have.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want one and have been looking at them. But I want an air shifter, it only has to up shift for me(who would use it to down shift?). The only advantage I would see here is that there is no air tank to hide but has a higher price. I have a friend that has an air shifter on his Hayabusa and when he turns the system on the horn button becomes the up shift button, that's what I would like to have.
@George4 - I was told by a couple of authorized install/service locations that the air systems are MORE problematic. As far as upshifting V downshifting - I see the point of these systems as eliminating the need to PULL IN the clutch.

·
Registered
147 Posts
U should still use the clutch when riding normal, these quick shifts will cause damage if u try to use it all the time. At least this is what I have been told

·
Rider
879 Posts
Everything you need is in a McMaster Carr catalogue... excepting perhaps the Tank... I have even seen tiny propane tanks used.. You need to go to where the folks are that are Using them... Like perhaps the Harley Drags!!!! They are Glad to Help.

U should still use the clutch when riding normal, these quick shifts will cause damage if u try to use it all the time. At least this is what I have been told
No... When setup Properly they shift more gently than some Gorillas I have seen Stomping the Lever... The Kill is the Secret

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Disagree (with what you were told) These devices have been around a long time and were developed for paraplegic riders and racers. Everything I have read about them indicates they shift more precisely and faster than a human can - less likely to miss a gear etc... BUT you HAVE TO use the clutch to get to neutral. As with any thing keeping it adjusted properly is important - thus I am wanting to talk to someone who has been using a pingle on a scout.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am doing exactly this - the radius exp clutch from recluse and the pingle shifter - the clutch will only be for finding neutral.

·
Rider
879 Posts
You could use in conjunction with this and seemingly eliminate clutch lever use for the most part.
I ordered one for the Bobber so it will be easier for my girlfriend to learn to ride.
RADIUSX CLUTCH (INDIAN) | Rekluse
Hmmm
In the Beginning... maybe yet now even, some guys used a second Button on the Airshifter to "hold the clutch in" for the Launch... Drag Racing. Simply release the button, and use the standard "shift" button for... Shifting..
Never fooled with one that down shifted... but, I'm Positive the old style [air only] would work just fine...
Ya Gotta Know Exactly how they work for them to Work Correctly tho... the Electric one are Kinda "Dummy Proof" !!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Rudy, so how do u like that shifter? Can you share some more pics of it? I would like to see how much it sticks out from the side. I am wanting an air shifter but since I have never set one up before I think I need to buy a kit and it seems that the only kit it the electric one from Pingel. So that's what I am leaning towards.

·
If you cant go fast you better look good
497 Posts
they work well and being electric you dont have to worry about air, tank, or air lines. i would say unless you are drag racing dont do the air!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I rode a busa with a Pingel air shifter yesterday. He had a little compressor that pumped up the tank and it seemed to work extremely well. I think I aired it up to 80psi and that was enough air for 2 runs. It just seems like the most unreliable part of an air setup is the electronics. And having only a 30 day warranty on an expensive electric solenoid kinda freaks me out.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been riding scout #124 for 1 month with the pingle electric shift - pretty cool, add to it my rekluse clutch and shazam I can fly - the pingle doesn't stick out at all, at least not in a way that affects foot placement or shifting, and yes, you can shift manual or electric anytime you choose. but push button shifting without a clutch is pretty cool. You do have to learn or relearn operations a bit, finding the sweet spot in rpm's etc. down shifts into 2nd or first are harsh if you forget that engine braking will occur.

·
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does it do well at full throttle redline shifts?
@George4 - it thrives on gas, the more you give it the faster shift happens. Pun intended. Now I wouldn't say the pingle is great downshifting into 2nd or first, but it's going to take me some miles to learn the equipment. but YES it loves gears 3-6 at high rpms.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts