Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - is there any way to retrieve the PIN number from my Chief outside of taking it to a dealer? The closest one is about a 100 mile, and finding time is a real pain....

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
All - is there any way to retrieve the PIN number from my Chief outside of taking it to a dealer? The closest one is about a 100 mile, and finding time is a real pain....
I called my Dealer, they looked up the master PIN for my bike and gave it to me over the phone.

Went out to try it, worked just fine.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

Reactions: K2V2

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
There are at least two different PIN codes involved - Master or Factory PIN, accessible to dealer only, rider or personal PIN, user can change to suit individual preference (if you know original rider PIN)... Dealer should be able to retrieve with Digital Wrench, or at least enable a change in rider PIN for your own access.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May be hand written on the first page of your manual, if you still have it.
Should also be written on the original sales receipt.
There is a code written in my manual, it doesn't work. They guy I bought it from had a couple of Chiefs on hand, and he mailed me the manual after the fact. I suspect it wasn't the one that came with the bike.
I never saw the original sales receipt.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are at least two different PIN codes involved - Master or Factory PIN, accessible to dealer only, rider or personal PIN, user can change to suit individual preference (if you know original rider PIN)... Dealer should be able to retrieve with Digital Wrench, or at least enable a change in rider PIN for your own access.
As you and I discussed, I need to get to a dealer sometime. I'm just being proactive...I keep worrying that my fob is going to puke on me sometime really inconvenient.

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Try 0000. Lazy dealer default pin. Push turn signal button straight in 4 times. Might work

IMHO - the pin set up need not be so complex

Reactions: GaD57

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try 0000. Lazy dealer default pin. Push turn signal button straight in 4 times. Might work

IMHO - the pin set up need not be so complex
What I think would be really slick is if they could develop some sort of technology where you could use a device, probably made of metal, that would active a locking switch mechanism that would be unique to that particular device. You could activate the locking switch mechanism when this device is inserted into the mechanism, and when this device is not inserted into the mechanism the switch would be considered inoperative and useless. Maybe I should patent the idea....
Or we could go to retinal scanners.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Pretty good idea...
What I think would be really slick is if they could develop some sort of technology where you could use a device, probably made of metal, that would active a locking switch mechanism that would be unique to that particular device. You could activate the locking switch mechanism when this device is inserted into the mechanism, and when this device is not inserted into the mechanism the switch would be considered inoperative and useless. Maybe I should patent the idea....
Or we could go to retinal scanners.
Pretty good idea... might be worth a patent!

·
Founding member
2,300 Posts
I don't understand why some think it is so difficult. Every computer password change I know of follows the standard process - enter the old code, enter the new code, enter the new code again. If you don't know the old code, then you have to see a dealer so they can verify that you are the legal owner of the bike and many don't store it in their store records for your security reasons. If it was given out freely by dealers or Indian over the phone, it would be easy for anyone to change it on your bike.

Write down your Master PIN (dealers will provide it and should have shared it upon purchase) in a safe place (I store it on my phone so it's always with me) and program an easily remembered Personal PIN.

I've had my bike/fob for 3+ years, accidentally put the fob through the washer three times, changed the fob battery twice, and never had to use the PIN (but I try it every couple of months just to be sure I remember the process). The bike lets you know when the fob battery is getting weak. I love having a fob that stays in my pocket and not worrying about leaving the key on the bike.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
It is surely not difficult at all until such time as you lose your code and get caught with a malfunction of some sort that disables the FOB... or you simply lose the gadget. The OP is trying to figure out how to get a missing code without a special trip to the dealership.

·
Bronze member
2,419 Posts
I called my Dealer, they looked up the master PIN for my bike and gave it to me over the phone.

Went out to try it, worked just fine.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
I'm thinking you have a good relationship with your dealer…and situations like this are the reason that's a good thing to have.

Reactions: Roadie
1 - 20 of 21 Posts