Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I‘m shopping for a windshield on my 19 Chieftain and would like to see better pics from front and side views in both lowered and raised.

I checked the forum but did not find much on the subject.

Does anyone have any pics?

I’m really interested in the Dirtybird windshield but haven’t seen any pics except on their site.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I have a Freedom windshield with the recurve at the top. It’s a good option if you want to have the option to raise it up all the way to see through it for maximum wind protection with minimal visual distortion and at the same time also have the option to look over it in the full down position.

It works so well for me that I keep it in the full down position 95% of the time.

They also sell tinted versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
416 Posts
I have the Klock Werks 12 inch dark as well. Looks really nice, but if you ride at night ( I really don't) you may want to opt for the lighter one. Just my opinion.

·
Bronze member
2,012 Posts
My wife has a 19 Chieftain and I have a 16 Roadmaster. We both have the KW Flare with the dark tint. You sit lower in the Chieftain and the dash is higher so the 10” is plenty tall. I have the 12” on my Roadmaster and I can see over it easily.
My advice is if you are taller you can run the dark tint 10” on the Chieftain but go with a lighter tint if you are shorter and can’t easily see over it while fully lowered.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Im 6’3”. I first bought the 14” clockwerks tinted . It was to tall when it was really hot out. And I didn’t like the look w the wings when it was up personally. Also tinted wasn’t really tinted at all
The second one I bought the 12” LRS black w the curve but no wings on it and it’s my favorite. Looks good up and down and gives me great wind protection.
BA749399-CD64-40FD-A0A6-5BB592E35704.png
A4D6E4F5-1E06-48BF-918A-F88BB33E3AF5.png
A7C7A501-6FE6-441E-9C43-AFECF13DE29B.png
0BC70F53-8796-4E1C-9EF2-B0DF0686966B.png
1F48BE5E-D75F-45F4-B7FF-8D576E5F19DB.png
093DF808-1E52-4C90-BDDC-55169139ADB9.png

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, the “Bat Wings” on the Klock Werks are friggin stupid looking to me as well. I know the function of them and understand, I just don’t like the look.

I haven’t heard of the IRS shield (scary name) but it looks good. I’ll look them up!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's long ride shields LRS. they have two versions, I have the 14" with the wings.
Freedom shields has some taller ones 16" or bigger also that don't have the "wings" on the sides

·
Registered
422 Posts
ha yea I fixed the post. f the irs ha. and the 14 w wings was amazing wind protection... just to much for me on hot humid days.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm 6'7" so for me, I had it to lowest height all weekend and it was glorious.
Height makes a huge different. 14 would put u about where my 12 puts me looking over it. Also I got the ultimate tallboy that puts u down in the saddle and back a bit. So it seems I get less air even now with it at lowest point.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I have a Freedom windshield with the recurve at the top. It’s a good option if you want to have the option to raise it up all the way to see through it for maximum wind protection with minimal visual distortion and at the same time also have the option to look over it in the full down position.

It works so well for me that I keep it in the full down position 95% of the time.

They also sell tinted versions.

I have the same windshield and recommend it... this looks like the 16", which is what I have. It's less expensive than a lot of options out there and works well for me. Like he said, it has practically no visual distortion when looking through it. I also ride with it down most of the time but will raise it primarily if I'm on the highway and my +1 is with me to block some wind for her.

Most (maybe all) windshield manufactures will allow you to install the windshield without removing the protective plastic it ships with and ride to test it out. If you don't like it, ship it back. If you do, remove the plastic and ride on.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just installed a freedom Clear 12” windshield. The stock windshield (10”) I never rode with it all the way down as it was too much air but always up and still able to see over it so now I can ride with it down and still see over it. With it all the way up I can look straight through it.

Tim
18F6D036-3D46-4799-A488-9CEB03725841.jpeg
5DD84F61-EECA-4F20-A6C0-BC5DFAA64227.jpeg
5C1D685C-7D18-4E3C-8F55-28BB7E89BC3B.jpeg
AB81F08A-27CE-40FC-BE0A-95A5EA341D9D.jpeg

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I have the same windshield and recommend it... this looks like the 16", which is what I have. It's less expensive than a lot of options out there and works well for me. Like he said, it has practically no visual distortion when looking through it. I also ride with it down most of the time but will raise it primarily if I'm on the highway and my +1 is with me to block some wind for her.

Most (maybe all) windshield manufactures will allow you to install the windshield without removing the protective plastic it ships with and ride to test it out. If you don't like it, ship it back. If you do, remove the plastic and ride on.
Yes it is the 16” windshield. I’m 5’ 9” and it’s perfect for me. It’s level with my nose in the full down position and it’s just above my forehead when fully up. I tried the 16” Klockwerks but the distortion was so bad looking through it that I went with the Freedom.

·
Bronze member
2,012 Posts
Yes it is the 16” windshield. I’m 5’ 9” and it’s perfect for me. It’s level with my nose in the full down position and it’s just above my forehead when fully up. I tried the 16” Klockwerks but the distortion was so bad looking through it that I went with the Freedom.

I never got the idea of having the windshield that high. I have always thought the perfect height was just below my eyes so I could see clearly over the top. I’m 6’4” and my 12” KW Flare works perfectly directing the airflow over my head.
I cannot imagine the turbulence running a windshield that high. But to each his own.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I never got the idea of having the windshield that high. I have always thought the perfect height was just below my eyes so I could see clearly over the top. I’m 6’4” and my 12” KW Flare works perfectly directing the airflow over my head.
I cannot imagine the turbulence running a windshield that high. But to each his own.
Everyone’s setup is a little different but on my bike there are no turbulence when I raise the windshield all the way up. About 90% of the time I ride with the windshield all the way down which is just about right under my eyes. But when I’m fighting something like a really strong headwind then there is some turbulence coming over the top of the windshield hitting just the top of my helmet. If I then raise the windshield higher then it completely misses my helmet. But since I prefer not looking through the windshield I only raise it high enough to look though it in extreme conditions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts