Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rider
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up the Challenger tomorrow. When I first started talking with the dealership (out of town dealer) they had a bike but then when they found out the deal was going through they said the bike had sold and they needed to get another bike brought in.

My question is how many miles should I expect on this bike? Hoping they’re not selling me a demo bike from another dealer. I think my Roadmaster had 4-5 miles on it when I bought it.
All the paperwork is done, but they don’t have my trade yet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think demos are designated as such. When my wife bought her Vintage, we thought we were going to get the floor model, but it was designated as a demo. We got one from inventory. It sounded Indian rather than dealer.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
In my world, anything from 5-30 miles would be okay.

A few hundred tells me it has been used as a demo bike for some period of time.

My 17 had 2 miles on it when I rode it. I added 10 miles on a test ride and bought it two days later. I was lucky. I rode a Stage 2 Roadmaster Willow Green, a Stage one Chieftain, and they let me ride the brand new Springfiled with 2 miles because it was bone stock and just out of the crate the night before. They had no Springfield demo bikes.

Gotta love the Arlen Ness team that way despite them dropping Indain about 6 months ago...

I waited two days simply to determine the color I wanted. I couldn't decide. Finally, I had my salesman throw a coin up. Heads black. Tails Indian Red. He thought I was nuts at the time. It was heads. So black and chrome was the bike I ended up with and the one I rode the additional 10 miles, :cool:

·
Bronze member
2,628 Posts
Probably 30 mi or less. The tech that set the bike up probably put a few miles on it and it may have had a test ride or two. If coming from another dealer, ask how many miles.

·
Rider
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My intuition was correct- for a bit. Called the dealer and stated I was coming in to pick up the bike and they requested I get the VIN changed with my insurance since the original bike had miles on it. New bike has none. So far so good.

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
My only concern with purchasing a "demo" bike with a "few" miles on it is the concern about the motor not being broken in correctly. Let's face it......and let's ALL be honest....when I demo ride a new bike from a dealer.....as soon as I'm out of sight from the dealership, it's FULL throttle in every gear, assuming road conditions will allow. I'd be leery of buying a "new" bike from a dealer with anything more than a "few" miles on it.....as I have to assume whatever number of miles are on the odo, they are "hard" early miles, which could lead to problems down the road. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. I actually saw my Challenger come out of the crate and they put a SOLD tag on it within 10 minutes of coming out of the wrapper. The dealer tech does take it out for a routine "set up" ride and I told him to keep the RPM's under 3500 RPM 's, which he said he would. Dealer techs have no reason to wind the piss out of a brand new bike....unless they are really seeking some down the road warranty work!!! Again, just my thoughts.....maybe this is not a universal issue....but other than a stock racing Ducati, I have taken out demo rides and opened up the throttle shortly after warm up and pulling away from the dealership. It's just the way it is.

·
Rider
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really like this one. Pinnacle mirrors next. Sound system is great

Reactions: ReBorn
1 - 9 of 9 Posts