Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree about fairings. And I only use a windshield for long trips and cold weather. But a radiator is not necessary for a motorcycle. Just more expense and weight. One more thing to fix.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Radiator is probably more about positioning themselves to meet increasing emission regulations before they happen so they’re not scrambling at the last minute. Air cooled is on its way out.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Before hauling trucks and racing with Road Glides, did Indian fix whatever inherent problem was with these bikes? cylinder or engine shut off...or something like that...can't remember.

·
Registered
8,356 Posts
I agree about fairings. And I only use a windshield for long trips and cold weather. But a radiator is not necessary for a motorcycle. Just more expense and weight. One more thing to fix.
What decade are you from? 😱😁
There not "needed" on anything.. BUT..
Radiators are responsible for:
Higher compression ratios.
More stable temperatures.
More power.
Higher weight limits.
Higher power/efficiency potential.
Longevity.
Smoother.
More Quiet. (From the ugly clickety clackety noises of air cooled)
Better gas mileage.
Cleaner running.
Cooler running.
Longer and fewer maintenance intervals.
(You won't see 10k oil change intervals nor 100k spark plug intervals with out one just to name a couple)
Zero worry while idling or riding slow in traffic.
Less gasket fatigue.
Typically longer warranties.
More stout engine design allowing for better, stiffer more thought out engineering for strategic flexing frame configuration and stressed member architecture. (Which makes for superior ride and handling)
Allows a bike to be made lighter over all with lower CG negating the added 10 pounds of cooling system.

It can be said that the ONE part responsible for a Challenger walking all over the RG is it's radiator, since the challenger has all the above going for it, because of it.
That all said, since most of my bikes have all had one and shared the same benefits while only having had 1 (ONE!) cooling system issue in all my life of riding, beating and crashing bikes since '95. It was on a track bike on a hot day prompted by my own doing. So id say it's been well worth it's "extra cost, weight and complexity".
So when I see a radiator and know what it's worth, it's absolutely gorgeous..
To know, my liquid cooled bike will out do an air cooled in every benchmark available (Except being a curmudgeon yearning for the past) is dead sexy.
😁😁😁
But Over all, your right, there is no "need" for one..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Can't Wait for someone to Bring any Indian besides a Scout [we got a few of them] to the American Motorcycle Racing Association Drag Races!!!!!
No BS, no Excuses... Just Race.... Legal, Fair, and Heads Up!!!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
What decade are you from? 😱😁
There not "needed" on anything.. BUT..
Radiators are responsible for:
Higher compression ratios.
More stable temperatures.
More power.
Higher weight limits.
Higher power/efficiency potential.
Longevity.
Smoother.
More Quiet. (From the ugly clickety clackety noises of air cooled)
Better gas mileage.
Cleaner running.
Cooler running.
Longer and fewer maintenance intervals.
(You won't see 10k oil change intervals nor 100k spark plug intervals with out one just to name a couple)
Zero worry while idling or riding slow in traffic.
Less gasket fatigue.
Typically longer warranties.
More stout engine design allowing for better, stiffer more thought out engineering for strategic flexing frame configuration and stressed member architecture. (Which makes for superior ride and handling)
Allows a bike to be made lighter over all with lower CG negating the added 10 pounds of cooling system.

It can be said that the ONE part responsible for a Challenger walking all over the RG is it's radiator, since the challenger has all the above going for it, because of it.
That all said, since most of my bikes have all had one and shared the same benefits while only having had 1 (ONE!) cooling system issue in all my life of riding, beating and crashing bikes since '95. It was on a track bike on a hot day prompted by my own doing. So id say it's been well worth it's "extra cost, weight and complexity".
So when I see a radiator and know what it's worth, it's absolutely gorgeous..
To know, my liquid cooled bike will out do an air cooled in every benchmark available (Except being a curmudgeon yearning for the past) is dead sexy.
😁😁😁
But Over all, your right, there is no "need" for one..
Thank you! I was trying to post up something along these lines yesterday but ran out of time.

Both the Indian Challenger and the H-D Road Glide are hideous and stupid looking. At least the Road Glide doesn’t have a radiator.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... takes a look at the bike in your avatar with a stuffed animal as a seat :sick:

(I have ridden a guys bike with such a seat. It was comfortable.:giggle:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ask Matt Laidlaw what he thinks!!!! LOL
I would be glad to...If I really CARED what Matt had to say in the first place...:p

If you want to really stir things up, post these on the hd forum...
It's was posted on the CVOHarley site yesterday. Interesting discussions but none of the "laughed off" type comments.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'll save y'all the trouble. I ride a '17 CVO Street Glide with a Stage 1 2-in-1 exhaust/air intake.

Doesn't hold a candle to the power and handling of the Challenger which I test road shortly after they came out.

Looks-wise, I prefer my SG.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts