Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thunder Black
I picked it up and was in the shade shadow of the dealership overhang and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Finished deal hopped on and rode home. Got home and parked in the sunlight and thought I noticed a scratch. Started looking closely and noticed fine scratches everywhere. Cant get them to show up in pics, thats how shallow/fine they are.

I emailed the dealer (owner) letting him know and that I am fine waiting until 500 mile service to take care of everything, he was agreeable to waiting....but..... and here is the thing that bothers me.
He stated he thinks they will go away with a good wax job....I disagree. Wax may cover some or all of them( may be) but its not a correction it will hide the errors at best

wax strips off and viola scratches are still there in the clear coat.

I did not want to get in a pissing contest with him via email but I bought a bike, brand new and scratch free. Thats not what was delivered to me.

if when time comes and he refuses to get a detail guy to perform paint correction what are my options?
Will Indian corporate lean on him or stand up and do the honorable thing?
Or since its a motorcycle and most likely gas tanks are sacrificial lambs, so to speak, and get beat and show wear. Should I just get over it and let it go?

·
Registered
316 Posts
This has been the case on every bike/car I've ever bought, but black is the worst color for it by far. Silver/gray colors are the best to not be able to see them IMO. I was able to see a bunch on my deep water blue Chieftain when I brought it home recently. Wiping it with even a microfiber cloth after a wash will cause them due to fine dirt/dust particles clinging to it. They are impossible to avoid 100% unless you get them gone and then put the bike in a bubble and never ride it.

My Street Glide Special is black so I know your situation well. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax does a pretty good job, I've done that a couple times. There are some still there, but at this point in my life, I've stopped obsessing over things I can't fix. They also make a product called ScratchX that is decent, but any of these are temporary unless you just never wash/wipe it off again.

·
Bronze member
1,587 Posts
I think it's your problem, to be honest. But it also sounds like an experienced detailer can buff-out or otherwise treat the area and minimize the issue. Besides that, a good wax job is always a good idea and I bet it does take care of most of it, from your description. Good luck! You have a great bike, either way...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thunder Black
I picked it up and was in the shade shadow of the dealership overhang and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Finished deal hopped on and rode home. Got home and parked in the sunlight and thought I noticed a scratch. Started looking closely and noticed fine scratches everywhere. Cant get them to show up in pics, thats how shallow/fine they are.

I emailed the dealer (owner) letting him know and that I am fine waiting until 500 mile service to take care of everything, he was agreeable to waiting....but..... and here is the thing that bothers me.
He stated he thinks they will go away with a good wax job....I disagree. Wax may cover some or all of them( may be) but its not a correction it will hide the errors at best

I did not want to get in a pissing contest with him via email but I bought a bike, brand new and scratch free. Thats not what was delivered to me.

if when time comes and he refuses to get a detail guy to perform paint correction what are my options?
Or since its a motorcycle and most likely gas tanks are sacrificial lambs, so to speak, and get beat and show wear. Should I just get over it and let it go?
Get on a good car detail site and order a Clay bar kit. Get real clay, not the synthetic, order the spray lubricant, and a couple of good micro fiber towels. Wash the bike, dry it with a blower. After it’s dry, get the clay out, kneed it in your hand, spray on the lube and lightly to moderately rub the clay on the paint, it the clay is sticky just spray a little more lube. Run it down good and then wipe off with towel. Every few minutes re-kneed the clay and continue. After you are down wax your bike with Chemical Guys Hot Butter Wax- I will bet the scratches will be gone, your bike will be really clean and shiny and it will be protected with smooth paint and a good wax for the next 2 months. Clay will do wonders for your paint job, it removes all the dirt and crud that you can’t really see from the paint and it’s a lot better for the paint than using a buffer.
Good luck, let me know the results!!

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
As a fellow black Indian bike owner all I can say is I’d never buy another black vehicle again! It’s impossible to keep clean and looking like new. I’ve used every type of cleaner, polish and wax to no avail. I now ride the bike and don’t worry if it’s dirty, dusty or scratched. I bought the bike to ride it and enjoy it, not display it at car/bike shows, museums, etc... I’d say just ride it and don’t get too caught up worrying about the scratches. It’s not a perfect world.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had mine ceramic coated. I wash it and wipe it down with a microfiber cloth and a detailing spray and it looks great. Maybe look into doing this now while the paint is solid. You are likely seeing superficial swirls in the clear coat assuming you don’t have a matte finish.

·
Rider
841 Posts
I bought a 2019 Chieftain Limited that had scratches similar to the OP's on the tops of the saddlebag lids. I completely removed them with Meguiars show car glaze and scratch remover, using microfiber towels and applicator pad.
Then I used Garage One , Oracle, sealer and TLC ( the Last Coat ), on the entire bike.
If you properly prepare the surface and seal it , black is no harder to maintain than any other color.
I would not let anyone at the dealership within 10 ft. of my bikes paint job.
indian 002.JPG

·
Bronze member
2,543 Posts
What sandspur said...don’t let some hack at the dealership try buff them out. Wax alone (if it doesn’t have any cut added) will not address scratches. The dealer should send you to a paint shop and let a pro buff them out with the correct pad and polish.

·
Senior member / bronze
1,599 Posts
if you own a black bike and want to keep it swirl free, It worth the $200 bucks to purchase a 4” buffer, pads and correction cream from Griots Garage. This little unit very high quality small enough for motorcycle will safely remove swirls and fine scratches. I use every spring and sometimes for spots during summer. You’ll get amazing results. You’ll need to make sure you buy high quality micro fibre towels, for polish/wax removal. I use Wizards detailer with micro fibre often, have never
Sprayed bike down with hose.

·
Registered
364 Posts
if you own a black bike and want to keep it swirl free, It worth the $200 bucks to purchase a 4” buffer, pads and correction cream from Griots Garage. This little unit very high quality small enough for motorcycle will safely remove swirls and fine scratches. I use every spring and sometimes for spots during summer. You’ll get amazing results. You’ll need to make sure you buy high quality micro fibre towels, for polish/wax removal. I use Wizards detailer with micro fibre often, have never
I agree totally. I do detailing and wax does NOT remove or fill scratches. You need to thoroughly clean, POLISH, and coat. Whether its wax or ceramic or synthetic paint sealant. Black is really hard to maintain, shows swirl marks very easy, especially in the sun. You need to be extremely careful when washing or drying, if you are OCD about swirl marks. Use a very fine abrasive polish, such as Meguiars. Then coat. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
4,796 Posts
+1 for Wizards products. I use a DeWalt 90 degree cordless drill with 4 inch buffing pads to detail my bikes. The DeWalt is variable speed plus I already have/had it as part of a DeWalt kit. Good size for Motorcycles. The paint on my '12 Road King Police had been less than well cared for when I bought it used and was a challenge. But after buffing and polishing the black ended up having a mirror finish. No scratches or "spider webbs" in the sunlight.

·
Bronze member
2,543 Posts
X2 on that buffer. I have that one and a larger one from Griots. I use them and Griots polish on my RM and vehicle. Both are 2016s and have been swirl mark free.

·
Rider
1,237 Posts
First thing anyone should do when they buy a black vehicle...

clay it, buff it, seal it and protect it...

many black vehicle comes with visible swirls, even the cheap garbage Indian paint...

just do it and you'll be happy...if not, tell them you want a different color that won't show the same swirls in the paint "as bad"...

·
KHAOS
535 Posts
Thunder Black

Look into Griots products, best polish and waxes around. Swirl marks are easy to get rid of with a fine polish. Then wax.
Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

·
Registered
480 Posts
More often than not those very fine scratches are in the wax or detailer the dealer used. Also, always check manufacturers recommendations before waxing or sealing any new paint. It needs to properly cure. Most factory finishes are force dried, but its worth a few minutes to check. It’s usually safe to use a quick detailer if unsure as it doesn’t “seal” the finish.

If you’ve ever seen tiny bubbles like acne under your paint, you have solvent pops. They are small trapped bubbles of the thinner/reducer under the surface. This is why they used to say wait 6 months to wax.

·
Bronze member
2,543 Posts
More often than not those very fine scratches are in the wax or detailer the dealer used. Also, always check manufacturers recommendations before waxing or sealing any new paint. It needs to properly cure. Most factory finishes are force dried, but its worth a few minutes to check. It’s usually safe to use a quick detailer if unsure as it doesn’t “seal” the finish.

If you’ve ever seen tiny bubbles like acne under your paint, you have solvent pops. They are small trapped bubbles of the thinner/reducer under the surface. This is why they used to say wait 6 months to wax.
Good info...a buddy had this (solvent pops) happen on a new Street Glide. The bubbles didn’t start appearing until a few months after purchase. Fortunately, the dealer replaced the tank.

·
Rider
549 Posts
First thing anyone should do when they buy a black vehicle...

clay it, buff it, seal it and protect it...

many black vehicle comes with visible swirls, even the cheap garbage Indian paint...

just do it and you'll be happy...if not, tell them you want a different color that won't show the same swirls in the paint "as bad"...
Yes and bring about $4000. ???

1 - 20 of 37 Posts