Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Photo of the day

1127415 Views 13481 Replies 459 Participants Last post by  Scouts out!
Scooter Motor vehicle Vespa Vehicle Mode of transport

Preferably motorcycle-related — but if not, .... keep em clean and apolitical.

-UPDATE : no graphically disturbing images !! (You wouldn’t think I’d have to articulate that, eh — but I do...)
(see post #8184)
11521 - 11540 of 13482 Posts

· Administrator
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,523 · (Edited)
I always liked Highway 50 from Canyon City to Salida.
The section from I-15 west to Fallon, NV is “the loneliest highway” section (and where the photo was taken) but you are absolutely right ~~ the section further east in colorado is a gem. Completely different vibe (gentle curves vs straightaways) but even the Nevada section has a surprising number of good curves as it hits the occasional mountain ridges.

Here‘s another good photo from the Nevada section — taken outside of Baker off Hwy 50. Some local pundits erected a series of funny scenes like this. Nevada DOT was not amused and removed most of ‘em.
Sky Plant Mountain Tire Plant community

· Administrator
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,528 ·
That road doesn't look like it has many overpasses to shelter under while you get into your rain suit.
Nope. Wyoming, colorado, Utah — lotta places out west don’t have that luxury. Choices are to pull over and risk getting ass-ended, turn around (which I hate to do), or slow way down once you get suited up and sally forth. I usually do the latter. If it’s just a cell it usually won’t last too long and you can ride through it. If it’s the leading edge of a front, the frontal boundary is usually the worst part and it settles down once you ride thru. There are parts of the country where that doesn’t hold true (anywhere in Tornado Alley) and riding into something like this can be pretty dangerous. I was in a MERA rally where one of the guys rode into a tornado in Nebraska at 2am and got killed.

· Registered
1,144 Posts
Nope. Wyoming, colorado, Utah — lotta places out west don’t have that luxury. Choices are to pull over and risk getting ass-ended, turn around (which I hate to do), or slow way down once you get suited up and sally forth. I usually do the latter. If it’s just a cell it usually won’t last too long and you can ride through it. If it’s the leading edge of a front, the frontal boundary is usually the worst part and it settles down once you ride thru. There are parts of the country where that doesn’t hold true (anywhere in Tornado Alley) and riding into something like this can be pretty dangerous. I was in a MERA rally where one of the guys rode into a tornado in Nebraska at 2am and got killed.
I was coming through the St. Louis area a few years back and got into some pretty hard rain. I stopped under an overpass till it eased up then continued. But again, and then again it was raining too hard and I stopped under an overpass. Checked the weather radar app on my phone. Shit! The storm was moving North East, and I was riding East and I kept catching up to it. So I bit the bullet and rode all the way through it and, finally, got to where the roads were dry. Needed gas, coffee and needed to pee. Got off the slab and gassed up, peed, but had to forgo the coffee as the black clouds were just about over me. As I was running almost 90 up the ramp the first few big drops were splattering me but maybe 1/4 more of a mile I was clear of it but that storm was chasing me for another 2 hrs. Nope, I don't like riding in rain.

· Administrator
25,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,530 ·
Massive fires yday on the opposite side of the metro area (Denver) ~~ 580 homes wiped out. We had some deck damage from the wind but are thankful that was it. It was like a hurricane all along the front range, lasting sunup to sundown. A lot of people are going to be starting 2022 without homes. The scale of destruction is hard to believe.
Cloud Atmosphere Window Sky Building
Sky Cloud Hazard Pollution Fire
Atmosphere Nature Fire Flame Pollution

· Premium Member
930 Posts
Massive fires yday on the opposite side of the metro area (Denver) ~~ 580 homes wiped out. We had some deck damage from the wind but are thankful that was it. It was like a hurricane all along the front range, lasting sunup to sundown. A lot of people are going to be starting 2022 without homes. The scale of destruction is hard to believe.
View attachment 665005 View attachment 665006 View attachment 665007
Prayers sent Hink. What a crazy time of year to have wildfires. I have a lot of family and friends in Pagosa and Colorado Springs. I hope the winds die down and they can get control of the fire.

Phil

· German Rider
2,729 Posts
Reactions: Super Jute and HINK
11521 - 11540 of 13482 Posts