Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
morning everyone! did like 250 miles yesterday. I use an iPhone. I started using Apple Music and it crushed my battery in a few short hours. what are you all doing to charge your phones? I see they sell plugs into the battery tender plug but that puts your phone a bit away. wire usb up by the handlebars would be ideal.... one of those holders? something to convert to where the usb is... plugged in phone won't fit in that little area. I don't know if that usb chargers either. I know my iPod didn't work at all there. im bored my county is locked down. I wanna get into something ha

·
Bronze member
2,256 Posts
I am using the baddest ass power bank I could find.

Placed in the nacelle bag with a short cable to my phone/navi/juke box it delivers enough juice for the most hungry phone for more than a day without pulling amps from the onboard electricity.
Modern smartphones can suck 3 [email protected] => 15 watt.

And this is the lazy ass solution. If you are bored you maybe want to wire a USB charger plug (with or without han dlebar clamp) which you can get on fleabay to the dormant switched power supply plug hidden under your nacelle (on the Chiefs! not sure if the other models have that too)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
On the Roadmaster, we have a cigarette plug in the right saddle bag. If you have one there, that would be simple enough.

There are a bunch of phone holders with built in chargers. You'd just need to wire the charger to the battery or tap it into a power source.

Does the Chieftan DH have the little phone holder USB compartment on the dash? I think I've seen a person run that USB line to come out under the fairing and just plugged a phone charger into that and mounted the phone on the handlebar.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,097 Posts

Does the Chieftan DH have the little phone holder USB compartment on the dash? I think I've seen a person run that USB line to come out under the fairing and just plugged a phone charger into that and mounted the phone on the handlebar.
I was probably the one that posted that mod. It was simple enough, and the USB does provide enough juice to keep the phone charged. One word of caution for this though, be sure to zip tie the cord out of the way onto the handlebars.

Oh, and get a GOOD phone holder. My galaxy s9 went for a tumble at 70 mph when ot fell off. Not good.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
When I had the Chieftain I just ran a cord from the wire in the flip up storage dash by the windshield to my phone handlebar holder. Also put phone on low power mode.

Ride Command now has Apple Play?
Is this an update?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was probably the one that posted that mod. It was simple enough, and the USB does provide enough juice to keep the phone charged. One word of caution for this though, be sure to zip tie the cord out of the way onto the handlebars.

Oh, and get a GOOD phone holder. My galaxy s9 went for a tumble at 70 mph when ot fell off. Not good.
firstly I would like to keep it clean and plugged in. I may try to use that plug in the upper compartment and handlebar mount. you just worked it out of where its located and up the inside of the faring? otherwise one of these charging packs isn't a bad idea and will serve the purpose.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea so relocating that usb will be easy enough. Is it strong enough to charge or maintain a full charge. 10 fits right in there plugged in no problem. If there is apple play it’s on the new ride command and my understanding is it’s not a upgradable add on it start on the 2020 ride command.
My chieftain wouldn’t play my ipod that’s why I assumed it wouldn’t charge or play my phone plugged in at that point

1 - 8 of 8 Posts