Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a Phase 7 LED headlight made by Trucklite and now I have an DTC of SPN 2350 FMI 5 on the dash. At the 5k service yesterday the mechanic at the Reno Dealer said there is insufficient power draw from the LED headlight so that is why I get the code. He said the upper and lower LED elements are on because the Indian is sending extra amperage to the LED headlight. I know that if I put the stock headlight back in the error code goes away. Kuryakyn sells this headlight or something like it and says theirs is compatible with the 2014 Indians. I can live with the code but wish I could get the code to go away for good. Mechanic said he could not clear the code either. Tell you one thing this light rocks. I know the new Harleys have LED lights so I wonder what they use. In house part or a part made by ???

LED Headlight.jpg

Attachments

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called Kuryakyn who have on their website a Phase 7 LED headlight listed as a part that fits the Chieftain and the tech guy said they were aware of the DTC showing up after installing the Phase 7 and that they were going to remove the 2014 Indians from bikes the Phase 7 LED headlight would fit. So having just did my first night time ride I will live with the DTC code in exchange for killer illumintion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A point of clarification, the motorcycle can send voltage, but it is up to the load (lights) to draw current (amperage). If the ECM isn't seeing adequate load (not enough resistance) in the LED Lights, a ballast resistor supplementing the load and to waste that power might be the answer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Kuryakyn sells the Truck-lite LED bulbs. Harley Daymakers are made by JW Speaker.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For now I have reverted back to the stock headlight with an "off road" 80/100W PIAA bulb. Perhaps its just a coincidence but the issue with the front tire pressure monitor has gone away. Really liked the brightness of the Phase 7 LED headlight too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I installed Led turns on my Victory, They came with Load resistors. And were Kury's. You would think Kuryakyn would have something for this light to balance the load

·
Registered
1 Posts
Expected load on a headlight is a lot higher. That's a lot of heat to be burned off. Basically a load resister is just turns the electricity to heat to match the load. A headlight makes a lot of heat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Indian dealer told me yesterday the new led head lights and light bar lights will be in by the end of the month cost head light is 399.99 fog lights are 299.99 little higher than the Ker, but well worth the price coming right from the dealer.

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
All you have to do is put a load resistor in parralell with the hi and lo beam on the truck lite and the codes will go away. The resistors costs about $5 each.

The indian lights are no better than the truck lite. When you buy the overpriced indian lights, they go into the VCM and change the amp limits that throw a code.

·
Registered
833 Posts
All you have to do is put a load resistor in parralell with the hi and lo beam on the truck lite and the codes will go away. The resistors costs about $5 each.

The indian lights are no better than the truck lite. When you buy the overpriced indian lights, they go into the VCM and change the amp limits that throw a code.
Is this still a problem with the latest VCM flashes? I've got a 2016 Chietain DH and I'm curious...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts