Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently got myself an Indian Springfield Dark Horse and after a few weeks of ownership I had to start working on it.

At this stage I’ve upgraded:
- Air cleaner from OTB Voodoo
- Indian Stage 2 Exhaust
- Lloyd’s 585 cams
- stage 3 valve springs
- High performance clutch
- PV3 tune from Fuel Moto

Now to my ask to all of you experts.
1. At low rev it feels like the engine isn’t getting the correct amount of air or fuel, it runs a bit uneven. Maybe it’s the tune that needs more work? At higher rev it feels very strong and accelerates fast.
2. If my goal is to have enough power to be able to get the bike to lose the grip in second gear. How much more power will I need and what is your recommended modifications, if any?

Rolling burnout is the goal!

·
Rider
530 Posts
put your bike on a diet
get her down to 500 pounds, 400 up front 100 out back
you loose 25 percent of your body weight
lean really far forward
stand on floorboards
let CraigB tweak your tune
run 94 octane
do it on a cool evening, about 50 or so
you will need a new back tire Sir

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
put your bike on a diet
get her down to 500 pounds, 400 up front 100 out back
you loose 25 percent of your body weight
lean really far forward
stand on floorboards
let CraigB tweak your tune
run 94 octane
do it on a cool evening, about 50 or so
you will need a new back tire Sir
Funniest reply so far and it’s not even Friday.
Question still remains though, is the goal possible without stripping the bike or contact weightwatchers?

·
Bronze member
1,531 Posts
Your low rev uneven running is 99% a tuning issue, and fine tuning in that area will surely make an improvement. A generic tune from ANYBODY will not be perfect 100% of the operational range.

RACNRAY

Reactions: Ron H.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your low rev uneven running is 99% a tuning issue, and fine tuning in that area will surely make an improvement. A generic tune from ANYBODY will not be perfect 100% of the operational range.

RACNRAY
Do you recommend to continue working with fuelmoto until I get there or do you have to put it on a Dyna in order to get it 100%?
I’m still trying to better understand what it takes.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Dial in the fuel and timing yourself or pay a pro. Don't forget to lie on the forums about how the front tire comes off the ground.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,128 Posts
Well ... I have more or less the same setup.
While not good for a rolling burnout I still can very well break the rear tire loose even with pillion.

Having said that: with my grippier Avon rear tire it is not as easy as it was with the stock Dunlops ... especially when they were a bit worn.
And ... coming out of a turn and hitting the trottle a bit while rpms are in a sweet spot: and voila, better back off.
And if the road was a bit sun polished some hard accell (yes straight) and there is this fishtailing. (feels good)

The 585s need some revs to be in a sweet spot. And 1st is too short for spectacular starts. And if you hit it hard in 2nd from a dead stop your clutch is the thing burning out ... lol.

(I am working now on my front brake technique ... )

All in all: I don't want to break things (tires included). And for me its plenty of power to have respect for my skoot ...
Wheelies are not on my whishlist with this frame anyway (think about the fork eating landing, lol) and I doubt it will ever be possible with this geometry.

Oh .. and I dialed in my tune myself with some WBCX equipment ...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What would it take to get more power on lower revs. Is the profile different from other cams out there? Possible to tune for more performance early on or this is what the 111 can do?

Well ... I have more or less the same setup.
While not good for a rolling burnout I still can very well break the rear tire loose even with pillion.

Having said that: with my grippier Avon rear tire it is not as easy as it was with the stock Dunlops ... especially when they were a bit worn.
And ... coming out of a turn and hitting the trottle a bit while rpms are in a sweet spot: and voila, better back off.
And if the road was a bit sun polished some hard accell (yes straight) and there is this fishtailing. (feels good)

The 585s need some revs to be in a sweet spot. And 1st is too short for spectacular starts. And if you hit it hard in 2nd from a dead stop your clutch is the thing burning out ... lol.

(I am working now on my front brake technique ... )

All in all: I don't want to break things (tires included). And for me its plenty of power to have respect for my skoot ...
Wheelies are not on my whishlist with this frame anyway (think about the fork eating landing, lol) and I doubt it will ever be possible with this geometry.

Oh .. and I dialed in my tune myself with some WBCX equipment ...

·
Silver member
3,834 Posts
Get a Hayabusa and ride it like ya stole it. Then jump back on yer Injun to come back down.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,025 Posts
Do you recommend to continue working with fuelmoto until I get there or do you have to put it on a Dyna in order to get it 100%?
I’m still trying to better understand what it takes.
Get with @CraigB1960. He can get you the most out of your bike with the mods you have. Many pros and no down side. Dean

·
Bronze member
2,128 Posts
What would it take to get more power on lower revs. Is the profile different from other cams out there? Possible to tune for more performance early on or this is what the 111 can do?
yes ... the 585s come beyond 2800 rpms but mighty!

If you wantvto avoid the low end "hole" better get 558s or stage3 cams (hard to come by).
Both are less aggressive on the valve train as well. The stage3s are even "silent"...

Do I regret the 585s? NO! The fun factor with them is great!
(though I am waiting for my high lift springs and other parts now ... the other thread is scaring the crap out of me ... btw recommended for anything beyond stage2 cams)

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
yes ... the 585s come beyond 2800 rpms but mighty!

If you wantvto avoid the low end "hole" better get 558s or stage3 cams (hard to come by).
Both are less aggressive on the valve train as well. The stage3s are even "silent"...

Do I regret the 585s? NO! The fun factor with them is great!
(though I am waiting for my high lift springs and other parts now ... the other thread is scaring the crap out of me ... btw recommended for anything beyond stage2 cams)

Good info... plenty of reasons to go with the Stage 3 components - the full set if you have the expendable Dollars $$$!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lloydz has a procharger kit.
Amazon has wet nitrous kits.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,531 Posts
Working with the rbw settings can dramaticly improve throttle response, most tunes are kinda lazy in the lower throttle opening area.

RACNRAY

Reactions: Ron H. and joescian
1 - 15 of 15 Posts