Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took vacation to TRUELY enjoy my new Roadmaster (and commemorate my 60th birthday - which I NEVER could had seen coming). It seems like almost every gas fill-up, the person next to me has to give me some sort of a comment. Today the wife and I rode out to the Pontiac & Oakland museum in Pontiac, IL. When I parked the bike, I saw a guy sitting in his car. After our "tour", when we got back to our bike, that guy commented that about 10 people walking by just had to stop and take a picture of my bike (bug splattered and all). Coming back from Starved Rock State Park last week, at a stoplight I heard, "Hey, buddy - that is a Kick-ass bike!". Or just pulling into a parking lot to let my wife stretch her hip out, I has had total strangers pointing, and telling me how "bad-assed" it was. I guess when use buy a bike as "bad-ass" as these, use better to ready for these responses.

·
Read Only
65 Posts
I took vacation to TRUELY enjoy my new Roadmaster (and commemorate my 60th birthday - which I NEVER could had seen coming). It seems like almost every gas fill-up, the person next to me has to give me some sort of a comment. Today the wife and I rode out to the Pontiac & Oakland museum in Pontiac, IL. When I parked the bike, I saw a guy sitting in his car. After our "tour", when we got back to our bike, that guy commented that about 10 people walking by just had to stop and take a picture of my bike (bug splattered and all). Coming back from Starved Rock State Park last week, at a stoplight I heard, "Hey, buddy - that is a Kick-ass bike!". Or just pulling into a parking lot to let my wife stretch her hip out, I has had total strangers pointing, and telling me how "bad-assed" it was. I guess when use buy a bike as "bad-ass" as these, use better to ready for these responses.
Last night I was washing my bike in my driveway and I saw a little girl (probably about 5) and her mother kind of peaking around the corner and I said hi. The mother said her daughter had to show her an "amazing" bike!

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank Cruiser

Having said this, I am somewhat used to it as my other 2 actually get a lot more positive accolades and requests for photos.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

A couple of weeks ago at a restaurant, I was getting ready to leave and an extremely polite boy with his mother commented how awesome my bike is. He asked if he could take a picture and also asked if he could sit on it and I said yes. His pose and grin on his face was priceless as his mother took the picture! After his mother took the picture, the boy thanked me profusely. Was so happy to be able to make his day!

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Chopper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
102 Posts
Last night I was washing my bike in my driveway and I saw a little girl (probably about 5) and her mother kind of peaking around the corner and I said hi. The mother said her daughter had to show her an "amazing" bike!

View attachment 606838
Having said this, I am somewhat used to it as my other 2 actually get a lot more positive accolades and requests for photos.

View attachment 606839

A couple of weeks ago at a restaurant, I was getting ready to leave and an extremely polite boy with his mother commented how awesome my bike is. He asked if he could take a picture and also asked if he could sit on it and I said yes. His pose and grin on his face was priceless as his mother took the picture! After his mother took the picture, the boy thanked me profusely. Was so happy to be able to make his day!

View attachment 606841

I think we can all agree... Wow! Just wow!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Now I just expect that people will want to talk and/or photograph the bike when I stop. This wasn't something I expected. Its just amazing to see people go wow or have their eyes go wide open when they see some of these bikes. You know you have something truly special when people ask if its a show bike. These are truly special, amazing machines that blend the visual and mechanical in ways no others can do. Gas stops have become anything but routine.

·
Rider
1,412 Posts
Sport bike guys seem to love Bobbers more than big baggers...

my sport bike buddies are in love with my Bobber 🙌🏼

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I have owned my Roadmaster for 4 years now. It still amazes me how many people walk up to me and strike up a conversation.
But what really amazes me is the amount of attention the FTR I bought a few months ago attracts. You almost don’t want to stop for gas. There is simply no in and out when you do. And you’re stopping every 100 miles or so!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I get some kinda look and/or comment basically every time I take the bike out. From a guy in the truck next to me at a stop light giving me a thumbs up to a cop pulling through a gas station while I’m filling up just to stop and say it’s the best looking bike he’s seen, to a little girl crossing the parking lot with her mom having her face light up in excitement because her outfit was the same color as my bike and tugging her moms hand and pointing at me and her shirt with a big grin. I could go on and on about different times it’s happened(all 3 examples mentioned are just in the last week)

My brother-in-law hates it because we’ll ride together and every time we stop someone comes up to talk about my indian with his Harley sitting right next to it and they either ignore it completely or give the “oh and your bikes nice too” afterthought comment. He just flips me a middle finger soon as they turn to walk away.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
When I had a Scout it got lots of attention. It was original red with tan 1901 solo saddle and old-style aftermarket tan leather bags to match. The most common remark was, 'It sounds weird saying this but that's a really pretty bike.'

One time out touring with a mate on a Roadmaster we were having breakfast in a cafe with the bikes parked close by. An old guy crosses the road to check out the bikes. I point out to my mate that he was only interested in the Scout. He looks up and down the street, sees us through the cafe window and comes in to ask about the bikes. Then he starts telling stories of his Indian adventures in his younger years. He was genuinely funny and warm-hearted and he entertained us through scrambled eggs and coffee until we had to go.

When I sold the Scout and got a Springfield DH I went invisible and the comments stopped. I began to think it wouldn't even be picked up on radar. Only two occasions in almost three years that I can remember.

There was one guy came up to me while I was filling up and asked if the was the new SFDH. He said has was thinking of getting one himself, so he had that extra awareness. The only other memorable time was walking back to the bike after paying for fuel one day a guy in his 80s walks up and asks how old the bike is. I said it's 2018. 'Oh,' he said, 'I didn't know they were still making them. I thought you must have restored an old one but I couldn't see the gear change lever on the tank.' :)

·
Registered
212 Posts

View attachment 606838

View attachment 606839

View attachment 606841
I love the paint scheme on both your customs!

·
Silver member
5,501 Posts

View attachment 606838

View attachment 606839

View attachment 606841
I'm dooling!! (y)

Reactions: CaptFlood

·
Registered
129 Posts
There's just something about an Indian, I also get a lot of complements on my Indian Chief Vintage, And some even want to take pictures of it, Makes me feel like I am riding on a celebrity lol. I'm surprised how many people don't know Indian is back and think my 2019 Chief is from the 1940s, They seem surprised when I tell them it is new. 🐺

·
632 Posts
Yep add about another 30 minutes to your outing for people wanting to talk to you lol and get used to it.
I generally enjoy talking with people when I’m on the road and answering questions about riding and Indian motorcycles.....I‘ve heard lots of stories about someone’s grandfather who used to own an old Indian. However, if I’m short on time and have to stop for gas I leave my helmet on and won’t make eye contact to ensure the stop doesn’t turn into a long winded conversation. 😃

1 - 20 of 54 Posts