Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of guys are saying pvcx but lloydz recommends pcv.If I have then dyno with pcv there shouldn't be any questions on the tune for my bike? As if I went with pvcx and put in a general flash for my components there could be possible "fine tuning left on the table"that dynoing would take care of? I'm just asking opinions before I make a move thanks for your feedback!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
From my understanding, the pcv is a piggyback or addition to the factory computer. I had a very similar device in my 2005 C90 Suzuki from the same company. It intercepts signals, makes changes in addition to changes the ecm makes. This is as good as it gets if you can't get into the factory ecm and update it.

We can get into the ecm and program it with the PvcX, the PVCX can do everything the pcv can do and more. In my opinion why use 10 plus year old technology, when better exists and doesn't require you adding another computer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you use pvcx if your dyno tuning also? I not real familiar with tuning bikes but I know with sleds that you can reflash with a"general tune" and it's good I have that done .But every machine is alittle different and a dyno will let you know it! I know people that have done work on bikes reflashed which improved it but then went to the dyno and made it better. The reason I'm inquiring is I'm looking at having lloydz set my bike up and they insist on pcv but a lot of guys on here are saying pvcx.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Not sure why Lloyd’s insists on a pvc ask them why? I would be curious to know. The PVCX makes changes to the program in the computer to tailor the program to your bike. The PVCX allows changes to timing and parameters other than just fuel. Unless Lloyd’s isn’t familiar with the PVCX.

·
Registered
401 Posts
pvcx

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,281 Posts
Not sure why Lloyd’s insists on a pvc ask them why? I would be curious to know. The PCVX makes changes to the program in the computer to tailor the program to your bike. The PCVX allows changes to timing and parameters other than just fuel. Unless Lloyd’s isn’t familiar with the PCVX.
I would bet the answer is simple. He simply does not have any experience working the software involved with the PCVX. You tend to stick with what you know. He has used the PCV for years and is comfortable using that. My vote is for the PCVX hands down. That is because it can do so much more. The factory ignition maps are horrible. Now without the guys at Fuel Moto or CraigBs help I probably still be running the Dobeck programmer on my RM or possibly have sold the biike by now. The PCVX I got from Fuel Moto and their maps with the help of CraigB got rid of a lot of the ignition noises I had from the factory ignition curves. I fell in love with my Indian again. Got the throttle response the way I like it, the engine runs stronger and cooler, and definitely accelerates with great top end power. Dean

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info ! I have to make a decision the pvcx seems very user friendly and a do it your self kind of thing ! But the pcv and the dyno maybe old school but it seems more custom to the bike being tuned! Time to make a decision! Has any one ever run a bike up against one with a general against one dynoed and custom tuned? Just wondering

·
Silver member
4,723 Posts
I know a lot of guys are saying pvcx but lloydz recommends pcv.If I have then dyno with pcv there shouldn't be any questions on the tune for my bike? As if I went with pvcx and put in a general flash for my components there could be possible "fine tuning left on the table"that dynoing would take care of? I'm just asking opinions before I make a move thanks for your feedback!
Lloyd'z does not know how to tune with the PVCX, so that is the reason he recommends the PC-V. I have seen their tunes so I am comfortable saying this. I hope this changes, since the PVCX is not hard to tune with if you are willing to put in the effort to learn it.

The PC-V and the Dynojet dyno talk to each other, taking the operator out of the loop for the most part. It can only tailor fuel and timing and only run in open-loop operation. The PVCX can tailor everything that controls the fuel and timing of the engine as well as throttle response and target AFR so you can map out exactly what AFR you want the bike to run at.

The PVCX takes someone experienced to tune, but there are some very good tunes available for almost all combinations of performance components out there. To me, it is a no brainier

·
Bronze member
3,380 Posts
All the Mobil dyno trailers at runs want the pcv.they seem to do a good job.forum folks like the fuel moto and the pcvx,I don't have any idea which is best,but it seems the pcvx is a lot more time and money.the pcv on harleys is the way to go acording to my oldest son.he builds the newer harley engines.

·
Silver member
4,723 Posts
All the Mobil dyno trailers at runs want the pcv.they seem to do a good job.forum folks like the fuel moto and the pcvx,I don't have any idea which is best,but it seems the pcvx is a lot more time and money.the pcv on harleys is the way to go acording to my oldest son.he builds the newer harley engines.
The mobile dyno's tune with the PC-V simply because of the automation between dyno and bike. You cannot achieve a good solid tune in a 1 or 2 hour dyno session though. A good tune developed for an engine takes 4 to 6 hours of dyno time.

The PC-V is not the way to go with Harleys! There are plenty of options for the Harley's, you have the SERT (not great), TTS Mastertune (very good), Dynojet Power Vision for HD (very good) to name the big ones. All of these are flash tuners like the PVCX.

We need to differentiate what a fuel modifier is, which is what the PC-V is, and what a flash tuner like the PVCX is. There just is no comparison between the two as far as capabilities.

When I tuned in the Harley world, there was always a healthy discussion between fuel modifiers and flash tuners. No different here in the Indian world. I prefer to learn how to tune the ECU directly then to overcome its programming after the fact with a fuel modifier. Fuel modifier's have their place, but I suspect with the EPA requirements becoming more and more stringent (with regards to enforcing closed-loop operation during idle through cruise operation) the fuel modifier will be a thing of the past. Just in the past year we have seen the non-availability of 02 bypass plugs. This should be a very strong flag raised showing the way the wind is blowing.

·
Bronze member
1,898 Posts
Craig did my ‘17 Roadmaster and the throttle response is the best part. Big difference. Love it. I have stage 1 & 2

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
PVCX hands down. Calling for a PC-V is the same mindset as someone insisting on a carburetor instead of fuel injection, or a fireplace instead of a heat pump. Old and familiar doesn’t mean better.

·
Bronze member
3,380 Posts
I'm changing to carb as soon as I can have a magnito configured to the timing cover,I figure this is my last bike might as well make it user friendly.I bought a 71 chevy and put a hei distributor in it as I need to keep the shops at bay.also a international semi with a big cam 400 .no smog crap or big repair bills hopefully.you can have this new tech.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I started with the PC-V and liked it ok but the throttle response was not great, I then changed mine to the PVCX with a custom map from Craig B. and not only did the throttle response greatly improved but the overall performance went from good with the PC-V to Fantastic with the PVCX. To me, its a no brainer.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Had a PCv installed on my 2015 Chieftain with Stage Two Cams and High Flow Air Breather and Catless Header and TAB Performance Slip-ons with Zombie Baffles and professionally Dynoed.

Bike ran good, but knew it could be better.

So after 1½ years I pulled it off the Bike and installed a map with the PVCX from FuelMoto and then bought the Remote Tuning from them done by Craig who is a genius when it comes to the PVCX.

Bike now runs Great in my opinion, better than ever.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

1 - 20 of 22 Posts