Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trolling for parts, came upon a site in German that offered for sale a PC5 for the Scout. Sure enough, there is a 'coming soon' notice on PC's own site. I don't know how we'll get to the injectors, it seems like a tight squeeze, but this is pretty exciting!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I was trolling for parts, came upon a site in German that offered for sale a PC5 for the Scout. Sure enough, there is a 'coming soon' notice on PC's own site. I don't know how we'll get to the injectors, it seems like a tight squeeze, but this is pretty exciting!
That is cool, good to know they have one in the works.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHAT are you talking about ?
Power Commander 5, a little gizmo made by the good people at Dyno Jet, allows you to essentially control your own fuel/air mixture. It hooks right into the fuel injectors. Most of the times the also supply a 'map' so you don't have to actually do the programming yourself. End of day, should be good for a few HPs especially when combined with other improvements. Google 'PC5 indian chief' and you'll see how they install one on YouTube.

As importantly as having it as a stand alone product, it should really open the slip-on market wide open IMO.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
The bike is fast as hell as is, I don't think it needs more HP. But I am old so what do I know , to each his own.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bike is fast as hell as is, I don't think it needs more HP. But I am old so what do I know , to each his own.
I hear ya. I am more excited about more pipes and slip-ons coming out that will rely on the PC5 to optimize performance. And almost any Dyno shop can perform the work.

And please, let's not convert this thread to warranty discussion.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
The PC5 is not so much to make it faster but better use of your Fuel Air Ratio Giving Better Combustion In Your Cylinders and Cool down the Lean Mixture Stock EPA wants Giving Longer Engine Life and Cooler Exhaust .. If Look at my Dyno Sheet That is my Stage 2 Victory Cross Country, If look at the Bottom my Air/Fuel Ratio is about 13.6-13.8 EPA Standard is 14.7 .. I have added High Flow Air Filter and Catless Performance Dual Pipes as well as Cams .. If had added these without Having the PC5 Tuner to keep the Air/Fuel Ratio in Check for the added power would be running extremely Lean causing Engine Damage Eventually .. Thanks for Sharing This Meggie .. Look Forward to Finding out More about this ..

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Very interesting. I think I will just shut up and read, might learn something.

It is better to keep quiet and let people think you are a fool
Than speak out and remove all doubt

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
EPA measurements are also generally only checked in at specific operating ranges and not across the entire throttle range. Lean conditions are generally found just off idle. It's not uncommon to see FI bikes operating a bit rich at mid/full throttle positions. The beauty of these devices is that they can also subtract fuel and change timing (some models). The Scouts biggest issue will be the ability to get extra air intake in thru its restricted intake area...

·
Registered
478 Posts
May I offer a big red apple to the teacher? A color coordinated thing for your red scout.

Meggie, you impress the crap out of me. A whiskey drinking, cigar smoking wildcat who appears to really know motorcycle mechanics, I would suspect you have some XY chromosomes but your pictures show you to be a real looker, too. Impressive.

If you were my daughter I would be mighty proud of you. I had to plug that in so you know you I am not trying to make any moves on you. I remember an early thread of what you did to your nice dog.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My experience with tuning and the PCV tells me that it may have some issues with our bike. I believe that the Scout has a closed loop system, which means that the ECU is constantly making changes to keep a set AFR. When you add the PCV, the two systems end up fighting each other.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May I offer a big red apple to the teacher? A color coordinated thing for your red scout.

Meggie, you impress the crap out of me. A whiskey drinking, cigar smoking wildcat who appears to really know motorcycle mechanics, I would suspect you have some XY chromosomes but your pictures show you to be a real looker, too. Impressive.

If you were my daughter I would be mighty proud of you. I had to plug that in so you know you I am not trying to make any moves on you. I remember an early thread of what you did to your nice dog.
That's sweet, Lute! Thank you!

But I have to make a confession; I am not a big cigar smoker. There is a stocked humidor in the garage, so I would occasionally sneak one in, but that's pretty rare.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My experience with tuning and the PCV tells me that it may have some issues with our bike. I believe that the Scout has a closed loop system, which means that the ECU is constantly making changes to keep a set AFR. When you add the PCV, the two systems end up fighting each other.
I am not an expert. I've seen workarounds closed-loops by overriding and fooling the sensors, but I'll let someone else comment. I AM concerned about intake design and access to the injectors.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very interesting. I think I will just shut up and read, might learn something.

It is better to keep quiet and let people think you are a fool
Than speak out and remove all doubt
Taboothe, here is a concise explaination how it works -

·
Founding member
1,070 Posts
Meggie
Thanks for clearing that up. The video helped me to completely understand the process. I feel so stupid for not seeing that for myself.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Where does the Flux Capacitor connect?

·
Registered
748 Posts
PC will also smooth out any rough or lean spots in the power curve. Thanks to the EPA - these do exist. Coming from European bikes 100 HP is lightweight, especially from a 1100 cc motor. (MV 675cc is at 130hp and Bmw 1000cc is now over 200hp) The Scout is just a fun cruiser bike that can be enhanced with a few mods and a PC.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts