Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this discussion is out there already, but...
I work nights, which means that a good portion of my riding is done in the dark. I'm happy with the beam spread on the Chieftain with the standard bulb, but not with the brightness. I've found that aftermarket LED replacement bulbs are nice and bright, but due to the different type of configuration, they don't always give you the spread pattern you want with the stock reflector.
Has anyone had any experience with the Indian pathfinder light, vs the Hogworkz 7" replacement? I have two buddies who ride Electraglides that both love the Hogworkz halo over the original Daymaker. Price is not the biggest factor for me, but yeah, the Hogworkz is about $150 cheaper.

·
Rider
451 Posts
Go with the Hogworkz or even Eagle lights! Eagle lights are great too in my experience and they are like $100 cheaper than hogworkz. Both are good though. Pathfinder to me isn't worth the money at all and aren't nearly as bright has the others I mentioned. Both are plug and play as well and are a direct fit

·
Registered
22 Posts
I work nights, which means that a good portion of my riding is done in the dark. I'm happy with the beam spread on the Chieftain with the standard bulb, but not with the brightness. I've found that aftermarket LED replacement bulbs are nice and bright, but due to the different type of configuration, they don't always give you the spread pattern you want with the stock reflector.
Has anyone had any experience with the Indian pathfinder light, vs the Hogworkz 7" replacement? I have two buddies who ride Electraglides that both love the Hogworkz halo over the original Daymaker. Price is not the biggest factor for me, but yeah, the Hogworkz is about $150 cheaper.
I had used the pathfinders and it was like the sun was shooting from the front of the bike. The pathfinder connections were different than the OEM of the bike. Instead of cutting and splicing, I change the pins on the OEM wires to fit the pathfinder configuration. Not a difficult job, but tracking down a place that sold AMP pins meeting was a small task. Can’t by 4, only come in packs of 100 for $15. o_O

·
Registered
65 Posts
Depending on what you are looking to spend, there are several quality LED light manufactures. JW Speaker and Custom Dynamics both provide excellent lights made in the USA. CD has a lifetime warranty on their products. For auxiliary lighting I have used Clearwater LEDs which are pricey, but super effective at throwing some light,

·
Registered
190 Posts
I work 7p-7a at a hospital that I have a choice of two different two lane roads to get to. Both have large sections that aren’t well lit at all combined with sharp turns.
It’s because of the many turns with no streetlight combo I went with the JW Speaker adaptive 2. I didn’t wanna skimp on possibly having a better lighting solution when, in the winter, I’m riding there and back in the dark.
I can’t speak for every light out there. But there’s no comparison between it and the stock. I upgraded to the pathfinder, and that’s actually why I was ok spending as much as they are, because I didn’t want to keep rolling the dice $2-300 at a time only to be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
There are inexpensive versions on amazon that I have put in both Indian and HD bikes. $45 dollars for the scount and sportster LED headlights and about $120 for the FLSTN, easy plug and go, over 2 years in some bikes and no issues. really great lighting too as I often ride at night through Indiana farmland and need to keep a watch out for deer in the fields that may make a dash for the road

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I had used the pathfinders and it was like the sun was shooting from the front of the bike. The pathfinder connections were different than the OEM of the bike. Instead of cutting and splicing, I change the pins on the OEM wires to fit the pathfinder configuration. Not a difficult job, but tracking down a place that sold AMP pins meeting was a small task. Can’t by 4, only come in packs of 100 for $15. o_O
That seems strange. Since the Pathfinder is made by Indian you would think it would be plug and play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Rider
620 Posts
Go with the Hogworkz or even Eagle lights! Eagle lights are great too in my experience and they are like $100 cheaper than hogworkz. Both are good though. Pathfinder to me isn't worth the money at all and aren't nearly as bright has the others I mentioned. Both are plug and play as well and are a direct fit
I second the Eagle Lights. They're just Hogworkz at a cheaper price. I got a set on my Springfield that lights up everything. I get neck to neck with cars and their headlights disappear into mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, I decided to go with the Eagle 9100C. I love the light output and beam pattern, but... It was not as plug and play as I had hoped.
First, and I think my mistake was that I ordered from Amazon instead of direct from Eagle. The standard wiring configuration for the halo is wired into the low beam. Mine came with a separate lead for the halo, so I had to cut, splice and solder into the plug harness. not really a big deal but kind of a pain in the @$$. Next, once in, I found that I had to substantially lower the aim on the light. The high beam was hitting the roof of the building across from me from about 60 ft away.

Anyway, its all done and all good now. I love the bright light, it gives good peripheral lighting and I'm happy with the final result.

·
Bronze member
2,104 Posts
I installed the JW Speaker Adaptive 2 in my wife’s 2019 Chieftain Limited on Sunday. Unlike the earlier bikes there is no trimming of the plastic headlight bucket necessary to install. It is simply plug-n-play now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just installed Eagle Lights on my 18 Chieftain Dark Horse and super happy with the results. Doesn't hurt that they make the bike even better looking too IMO.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been anxiously watching this company. They are making both bulbs and whole assemblies that are lean angle sensitive. Just cant get over the price and ugliness of the JW speaker adaptive light.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Installed hogworks halo headlight and passing lights about a year ago on my 17 cdh. Lights are way better than stock. And the customer service is excellent and go above and beyond. Passing lamp recently took a rock at "highway"speeds knocked a reflector loose. Took a picture and sent to them. Asked if i could buy one. They sent me 2 replacement lights no charge. Something that is lacking from a lot of companies in general these days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have Custom Dynamic LED lighting all around.
This is in a B Pearl 2018 Chieftain Limited
I have this set up
Front - Pro Beam LED 7 “ and passing 4.5
Back - Pro Beam Red Lens
And have their Brake Light flasher
Thy are a good company by products and their customer service.
I would highly recommend
Vince

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have Custom Dynamic LED lighting all around.
This is in a B Pearl 2018 Chieftain Limited
I have this set up
Front - Pro Beam LED 7 “ and passing 4.5
Back - Pro Beam Red Lens
And have their Brake Light flasher
Thy are a good company by products and their customer service.
I would highly recommend
Vince
Will post pictures if you want they are clean looking

·
Silver member
5,478 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts