Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Pathfinder S Driving Lights on my 2021 Chieftain for added visibility. While I'm sure they will achieve that goal, I ended up with a bonus surprise. These lights eliminated all the wind buffeting I was experiencing above 50mph!
Background: I am 5'6" and was experiencing significant wind buffeting. I installed a slightly taller Freedom windshield and Jess deflectors which reduced the buffeting to a tolerable level. I had pretty much learned to live with my head bobbling side to side. I almost forgot it was happening until I installed these lights yesterday. I took it on the highway and set the cruise at 80 and noticed that my head wasn't bobbling around at all. I definitely hear a bit more wind noise filtering around the lights, but it really doesn't bother me.
So the combination of lower deflectors, windshield, and driving lights seemed like a magic trio for me. Who knows if this would hold true for taller riders, but I figured I would share with the community. Ignore the messy garage (it was pool day for the kids).
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I should run an experiment by removing the deflectors, then the windshield to see if the combo was the magic bullet or the lights alone. I'll update this post when I do those experiments.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Interesting. I recently installed the driving lights as well, and if anything the buffeting seems worse, but I don't have a set of those JES wind deflectors (yet)..
EDIT: I'm 5'11".

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I recently installed the driving lights as well, and if anything the buffeting seems worse, but I don't have a set of those JES wind deflectors (yet)..
EDIT: I'm 5'11".
Interesting. Now I really have to conduct my experiment by removing the deflectors. Any modification (or series of modifications) to the frontal area of a bike can have dramatic effects on wind flow as evidenced by your experience with the lights. It is quite possible that the lights alone increase wind turbulence while decreasing turbulence when combined with the deflectors. It could also be the three modifications together (freedom shield), or my 5'6" height combined with any of the three mods.

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,259 Posts
I think you are imagining things. I have felt no difference since I put them on my 20 RMDH

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are imagining things. I have felt no difference since I put them on my 20 RMDH

View attachment 688899
Maybe so... and if that is the case, I am digging my sense of imagination right now. Got to love subjective experiences.
To muddy the waters, you have Roadmaster lowers and a different flare windshield. Everything in front of the rider will change the wind flow characteristics on its own and as a combined unit. significant vortices occur in wind tunnel testing with very small deflectors added one at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts