Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased the Pathfinder S LED Driving Light Mount Kit and the Indian LED 3.5" lights sold separately for my Challenger Limited. I'm located in Texas, purchase the LED driving lights from Indianmotorcycle.com and the driving light mount kit online from a dealership in Arkansas. After installing everything I noticed that the driving light switch was illuminated as soon as I powered up the bike but the button switch doesn't seem to work properly, when I push the button switch the light does not shut off and the driving lights won't come on no matter how many times I re-push the button switch. I had the installation instructions which are now on line for the Challenger, the install is easy but somewhat time consuming. When the driving lights would not work, I disassembled the entire system and rechecked every step of the install three times, even checked the electrical pins for any possible damage but the driving lights still would not come on. All of the other lighjts work fine so I then went on to check the fuse box and all of the fuses where good as well. Afterwards I seen that I had a "Notice" on the RideCommand and it was for the driving lights but there wasn't any specific code nor description other than "Unkown Error" Unhandled error code SPN: 516194 FMI:9 SrcAddr:145 on the ride Command screen. I guess on Tuesday I'll will call the dealership to see if they have any experience with this kit and install, otherwise I'm going to need to take it to my local dealership to see if they can get to the bottom of this problem. Anmyone else install these on their Challanger?

Behind the rubber sleeve inside the left hand glove box are three separate connectors, a two pin , a three pin and a four pin (all female connectors). The driving light button switch has a (male plug) four (4)-pin connector so there's no question of which one is correct to use. This is also explained in the installation instructions. The reason I believe the problem is with the switch is that when you try to depress the driving light button swtich the light on the switch will not shut off. The instruction said it is only is used to turn on and off the driving lights so when you shut them off the lighted swtich is suppose to be off as well but mine won't shut off and stays illiminated constantly when the bike is powered up.

See page 9 of 13 on the installation manual:
https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalasse...2/New/2884899_kit_instructions.pdf?v=870ebafa

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
Herk, you should have installed another vcm module in the fairing. The last part of the install says it has to be programmed with the digital wrench by a dealer. Given what you're seeing, my guess is that's what you're missing.

I'm very interested in hearing how these work. Especially if they come on with the bike. I've been considering replacing my custom option with the Indian one but want to hear how it works and how ride command sees it.

Would you mind posting some more pics as well? I'm really curious to see how these look. How do you like the looks of them so far?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I can't believe I completely miss that.... thank you!

DIGITAL WRENCH
1. Perform vehicle control module update with
Digital Wrench® Auxiliary Controller
Reprogramming.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Herk, you should have installed another vcm module in the fairing. The last part of the install says it has to be programmed with the digital wrench by a dealer. Given what you're seeing, my guess is that's what you're missing.

I'm very interested in hearing how these work. Especially if they come on with the bike. I've been considering replacing my custom option with the Indian one but want to hear how it works and how ride command sees it.

Would you mind posting some more pics as well? I'm really curious to see how these look. How do you like the looks of them so far?

Yes I did install the additional VCM in the pre-set location under the faring. I will call my dealer to make an appointment tomorrow, once the control module is updated and the system works as intended I will share the working functions of the new Pathfinder driving lights. I hope they are (or work) completely independent from the headlamp. On my Springfield the aux lights only would work with the low beams, if you switched the head lamp to hi beam the aux lights would turm off. Unfortunately for me, we are also getting alot of rain here in north Texas for the next couple of day so hopefully I can get this taken care of this Friday or Saturday while I'm off work.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
Interesting... I never considered them shutting off with the high beams. The big thing that I worried about was them coming on with the bike each time. I imagine they'll be off till started like the headlight but I hope they come on each time by default or its a setting in ride command.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
On the 16 Springfield the Aux driving lights would only come on after you pushed the button switch to on (switch light would illuminate Green when on) for them. Otherwise only the head lamp would turn on upon engine ignition however, even if you left the Aux lights on when powering down the bike and then restarted it, you would have to turn the Aux lights back on again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The reason I believe the problem is with the switch is that when you try to depress the driving light button swtich the light on the switch will not shut off. The instruction said it is only is used to turn on and off the driving lights so when you shut them off the lighted swtich is suppose to be off as well but mine won't shut off and stays illiminated constantly when the bike is powered up.

See page 9 of 13 on the installation manual:
https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalasse...2/New/2884899_kit_instructions.pdf?v=870ebafa
I believe when you get the last step done, you will find that the fog switch is always lit when the bike is powered on. Like your Springfield, the button is red when the lights are off and green when the lights are on. The button gets switched power at start up to illuminate the button red. VCM3 will send a signal to the button turning it green when the lights are turned on. I too am curious if the VCM will remember the last state of operation, or if the lights must be turned on manually after each start..

·
Registered
613 Posts
So, you try to install these yourself to save dealer install fees but have to take it to the dealer anyway to get them 'activated'? Crazy. So you'll have to pay the dealer... anyway???

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So, you try to install these yourself to save dealer install fees but have to take it to the dealer anyway to get them 'activated'? Crazy. So you'll have to pay the dealer... anyway???
It wasn't just to save money for the reason of installing the lights myself, I like tooling on my motorcycles. This is a new model and with new models come new problems and other issues to overcome. I have already made an appointment to have the control module updated for the driving lights on Friday, the cost should be around sixty dollars give or take a few bucks.

I did the same thing with the exhaust, stage one intake, etc., on the Challenger however... .you will still have to take the bike back to the dealer to get the bike flashed for these specific modifications when combine. The ECM on these bikes are very advanced, this makes performing alot of different modification easy to (tune-in) finalize.

Hey if you like tooling on your bike, you should read one of my older post in the ThunderStroke Garage when I modified my 16 Sprinfield Lloyd'z IMC-585 Hi-Performance Cams

·
Registered
613 Posts
I tool a bit on my bike as well. It's just baffles me that you order parts and install 'em yourself but those parts required a trip to the dealer to get them to work properly. My slip ons, Air Cleaner, etc... only required my ability to plug in my PV3 and off I went.

So I'm probably looking at a trip to the dealer to get those lights working properly on my '19 CDH when I can finally find a set to purchase. Which will be next season since the summer dropped out here in NY - snow on Friday.... awesome.

It wasn't just to save money for the reason of installing the lights myself, I like tooling on my motorcycles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I tool a bit on my bike as well. It's just baffles me that you order parts and install 'em yourself but those parts required a trip to the dealer to get them to work properly. My slip ons, Air Cleaner, etc... only required my ability to plug in my PV3 and off I went.

So I'm probably looking at a trip to the dealer to get those lights working properly on my '19 CDH when I can finally find a set to purchase. Which will be next season since the summer dropped out here in NY - snow on Friday.... awesome.
My 2020 CDH didn’t require trip to dealer for install. Only Challengers do.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That adaptive headlight is sweet. I checked one out at my local dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm somewhat interested in the Pathfinder LED Headlamp as well, I love the lean technology it has but I would realy like to have a chance to see it in the dark (in person) before spending $500 to $600 dollars for one.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing. None of the ones avaiable list the Challenger as a supported model. I was kinda bummed by that. I've read that a couple people have installed them and like them. I like the looks of the Indian one better than the JWSpeaker one.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I like it when all the lights match in (uniform) style, but I'm also willing to overlook that if the functionality of a different style LED light is ultimately superior and/or has better lighting performance.

I had the Indain LED driving aux lights and headlamp on my 16 Springfield (changed out the dim OEM bulb lights it came with originally), buy the way they also cost a total of $700.00 for the three Indian LED lights. With all three Indian LED lights installed, my night vision was greatly improved. Hence, this is the reason why I wanted the Indian Pathfinder Driving Lights on my Challenger, once I get them activated so I can see how much they may improve the night vision, then I will make a desission if I still have a need to change the single aftermaket 7" LED headlamp I have in it right now.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Well, well, well.... how is it I'm not surprised. Took my bike to the dealership today to have them perform the vehicle control module update (Digital Wrench Auxiliary Controller) reprogramming for the new Pathfinder 3.5" driving lights on my Challenger Limited and guess what?

Apparently and according to Indian corporate, they are having a software issue(s) with the new Pathfinder driving lights for the Challenger models. Indian stated that they are working on a software update/fix and said they may have it ready by sometime in (maybe mid month) November. I had a feeling that this may of been the case when I first installed the lights (before I realized they also had to be programed by a dealership) and they didn't work. But it wasn't until I had checked the ride command diagnostics after the initial install due to a notification reading of "Unknown Error" - (Unhandled error codes SPN:516194 FMI:9 SrcAddr:145) these are not normal/regular codes the Indian MasterTech had explained.

Sigh* guess I'll just have to wait until the new update is ready. BTW: Those of you with acquiring minds, the dealership charged me $80.00 for the so-called reprograming update however, I won't be charged anything more when I take it back to have the new update downloaded due to the dealership making a warranty claim. Hopefully then, the new driving lights will finally work. I'm also wondering now, if there will be issues with the new Pathfinder 7" headlamp for the Challenger too.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
Well, well, well.... how is it I'm not surprised. Took my bike to the dealership today to have them perform the vehicle control module update (Digital Wrench Auxiliary Controller) reprogramming for the new Pathfinder 3.5" driving lights on my Challenger Limited and guess what?

Apparently and according to Indian corporate, they are having a software issue(s) with the new Pathfinder driving lights for the Challenger models. Indian stated that they are working on a software update/fix and said they may have it ready by sometime in (maybe mid month) November. I had a feeling that this may of been the case when I first installed the lights (before I realized they also had to be programed by a dealership) and they didn't work. But it wasn't until I had checked the ride command diagnostics after the initial install due to a notification reading of "Unknown Error" - (Unhandled error codes SPN:516194 FMI:9 SrcAddr:145) these are not normal/regular codes the Indian MasterTech had explained.

Sigh* guess I'll just have to wait until the new update is ready. BTW: Those of you with acquiring minds, the dealership charged me $80.00 for the so-called reprograming update however, I won't be charged anything more when I take it back to have the new update downloaded. Hopefully then, the new driving light will finally work.
That is a huge bummer HERK. Were they able to program them at all? I can understand the error codes because the new VCM3 that you installed can communicate on the CAN Bus. Since they seem to come unprogrammed there would be an unknown device communicating on the bus.

I'm also wondering now, if there will be issues with the new Pathfinder 7" headlamp for the Challenger too.
There shouldn't be as many issues with the headlight as there is no direct CAN Bus connection. I'm planning on trying the newer model once I save a few more pennies.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts