Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an almost new passenger backrest and pad from a guy last winter when my bike was in storage. The seller had it on a 2017 Springfield, stock, and I asked him what it was on before he knew what bike I had. I too have a 2017 Springfield, also stock, so I snapped up the great deal. It is the OEM backrest, and I think its complete. When I snap it on my bike and latch the quick release, it isn't tight, and I can shake it around what I feel is a lot. So, what I am asking I guess is should it be solid once latched on, or is there a little bit of slop back there when latched? I don't want the thing back there rattling around. Is there possibly some sort of bushing to go on my stock spools that make it a tighter fit? My initial thought is that I could get a real thin clear rubber hose if I can find it in a big enough diameter and slice it to make a bushing but I want to see if I am missing something here. TIA

·
Registered
30 Posts
it should be a solid fit. The backrest doesn’t move at all once it’s in place. Do you have the bushing around the groves that go first on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably not harshc, I just see the silver spools. I will try looking for a parts blowup diagram and see for sure what your talking about.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I bought an almost new passenger backrest and pad from a guy last winter when my bike was in storage. The seller had it on a 2017 Springfield, stock, and I asked him what it was on before he knew what bike I had. I too have a 2017 Springfield, also stock, so I snapped up the great deal. It is the OEM backrest, and I think its complete. When I snap it on my bike and latch the quick release, it isn't tight, and I can shake it around what I feel is a lot. So, what I am asking I guess is should it be solid once latched on, or is there a little bit of slop back there when latched? I don't want the thing back there rattling around. Is there possibly some sort of bushing to go on my stock spools that make it a tighter fit? My initial thought is that I could get a real thin clear rubber hose if I can find it in a big enough diameter and slice it to make a bushing but I want to see if I am missing something here. TIA
When purchased new, the backrest comes with plastic sleeves that slip over the spools and take up the slack. You can get them from your dealer, or find them online

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, Yes, the backrest has exactly what you show harshc. Thanks for the picture. And after you posted, I looked for a parts diagram, and like bedub posted, I am missing the spool bushings, or plastic sleeves. I got a part number from one of the parts diagrams from the indian site, it has number 5450769 , but when I type in that part number the site cant find any match, so I will do some more looking online, at least until I can get ahold of my dealer on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the pictures! Now, I got to start looking around for some.

·
Registered
407 Posts
yeah, I found the same thing. My dealer said that he can get them, but I just found a set on Amazon and ordered them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I just buy the bushings to go on the stock spools on my Springfield ? On amazon I just seem to find the spools to fit hardbags on the chief, which look just like my spools, the exception being the bushings.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It looks like the ones I bought are no longer available, i was able to get just the 4 bushings

·
Rider
886 Posts
Don't quote me, but I did read recently that someone too, a bicycle inner tube and cut 1" sections and put those on the spools to take up the slack. Might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Call Zeigler Motorsports at 269-381-5800. Order four Polaris OEM busing tour, part #5450769. They are $4.99 each.

I could never get the parts to come up on my own online.

I bought a used sissy bar for my Springfield and had the same problem. Installed the spool bushings this week and the backrest is completely solid now. The entire bike moves when you shake it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, I was able to make it to my dealer and they had them in stock. Now I need to find time to the duty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Super simple to put on. Pop the side panels, disconnect the wire going to the saddlebag locks, pull off the saddlebags, and then undo the spools. Slip on the spacers and put it back together.

Takes maybe ten minutes per side if you don’t rush it.

I’m going to look for the anti theft screws as it is way too easy to disconnect the sissy bar from the bike. I just haven’t looked into finding those yet. Want to put one on the front windshield, too.

·
Rider
316 Posts
I have a 17 Springfield. I got the sissy bar as a kit. The instructions list the part (spool) # as 5450769. Tightened the sissy bar so that there is no looseness at all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I now got the bushings and ready to put them on, one more question, is the locking screw needed or would it be fine installed without that screw, so I could pop it on and off in seconds without removing the bags to pull the screw out ? I don't see me wanting it on all the time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I now got the bushings and ready to put them on, one more question, is the locking screw needed or would it be fine installed without that screw, so I could pop it on and off in seconds without removing the bags to pull the screw out ? I don't see me wanting it on all the time.
I bought mine new from the dealer and it didn't come with a locking screw. You'll see after putting the sleeves on that its a very tight fit and doesn't need a locking screw after you clamp it down

·
Rider
316 Posts
If you don't think it will get stolen, then you don't need the security screw. A person would also have to know how it comes off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts