Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 chieftain dark horse. Looking for a passenger back rest. I found some on eBay and such places like that for half the price of the new Indian one. My ? Is will one from a 2019 fit on my new bike? Did they change any dimensions from last year to this year. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought one of those backrests from Ebay. Let me start by saying that I was impressed with the quality. It looked as good as the Indian one and even the upholstery matched the Indian seat. However, I quickly learned that Indian used 2 different Spool sizes. My bike had hard bags on it already and the larger outer dimension of spools. The backrest did not fit on my spools. I thought I was going to have to return the backrest, and then I found out about the other size of spools. I ordered the smaller outer diameter spools and everything fit fine. My hard bags are still in place and the backrest fits. So, the answer is, it depends on what size spools you have. Somewhere on here, someone posted the dimensions of the 2 different spool sizes and I would ask the seller what size his backrest takes. You might just have to buy a different set of spools which the Ebay seller also sells for a lot less than Indian.

Rob

·
Registered
477 Posts
Most of the eBay backrests that I've seen specify that they fit the Chief/Vintage model bikes. These bikes have the smaller spools. Make sure that you read the fine print to see the compatibility or fitment info.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Like I said above, it doesn't matter what size spools you have. If your bike has the larger spools, you can just get the smaller spools. Many have done this, including myself. Indian changed spool sizes for some unknown reason.

Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like I said above, it doesn't matter what size spools you have. If your bike has the larger spools, you can just get the smaller spools. Many have done this, including myself. Indian changed spool sizes for some unknown reason.

Rob
Thx for the add info. I'm going to order it today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts