Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

A couple of days ago I was browsing Indianmotorcycle.com for accessories for my bike. I own a 2017 Chieftain Darkhorse, and I was looking at some upgrades. Since the wife and I like taking longer rides, I was interested in getting the lower fairing kit, hard bag lid speaker kit, and trunk kit. I know these parts existed since I have one of the old part catalogs when I picked my bike up. Now the website doesn't even list most of the parts I was looking for. Thinking that maybe the website was in need or an update or something, I called to find out if the parts were still available or was there some issue with the website that they were working on. After being on hold for several minutes so the rep could investigate and to my surprise, I was told by the indian rep that trunks, speakers and lower fairings are not available for 2017 Chieftain Darkhorses because they "are to small of a bike"??? Wtf, is that a real thing or did I just get the one guy at Indian that doesn't know what they are talking about? Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Thanks,
Crob

·
Bronze member
2,166 Posts
Clueless sales rep. Just about anything that goes on a Road Master fits any Chieftain with the right hardware, etc. Link had plenty of choices available.

Reactions: Crob0203

·
Registered
189 Posts
I feel your pain on the speaker lids. They were a spicy meatball for me to swallow when I purchased back in ‘15, but since then they don’t even offer red/cream lids anymore. One day I’ll just suck it up and try to retrofit the stock lids to hold speakers, another rider on here did that and relayed the useful info in a post.

·
Bronze member
5,089 Posts
I've owned a 2016 Scout and a 2018 Springfield DH and for both bikes the parts database had gaps. I learned early to not put too much faith in what it says about supply or fitment for specific bikes. I've had the parts guy in the shop tell me a part won't fit my bike when I was ordering it, as his only info was the database and it was his only reality.

There is so much in common between different year models that it's unlikely a part will not fit a particular year. Most of the changes between year models are internal parts such as the cam chain tensioner and the current flavor of the month, gear position sensor. Add on bits like lower fairings are interchangeable as long as the highway bars are the right model.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
One of things I appreciate about the 14 thru 19 Indians is the parts interchange. Almost everything will cross between models... just a few minor changes in a few of the externals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts