Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had the same trouble I have had with parts availability? I've brought my Scout in for service and been told that I need certain small parts but been told the dealer will have to order the parts since they are not in stock. Was out in CA needing bearings and had to call several dealers before I found one - not an Indian dealer, that had the bearings but was several states away. I stopped in one dealer in the midwest on their opening day asking them to check the rear brakes. Once they had the calipers off they informed me I needed rear pads so I asked them to install a new pair. They told me they had none in stock! On opening day!!
Anytime I ask an Indian dealer why they don't stock many parts the reply is that the need for certain parts may only occur once or twice per year. I can understand something like that with a stater gasket - try finding one of those, but with bearings and brakes?
VW came to the US with the Type 1 and made sure they had every possible part. Other foreign car companies had tried to establish themselves early on but failed because it took so long to ship needed parts over. One VW dealer even built an entire car from parts. VW established itself early and gained a loyal following.
Harley and especially BMW go out of their way to have or find parts quickly. Indian needs to do the same. I've become pretty disgusted with the search for parts and unless they get their act together doubt I will purchase another Indian.

·
Silver member
4,595 Posts
I can understand your frustration for sure. But, I am not surprised a brand new dealer that just opened didn't have brake pads, but an established dealer without them is unacceptable.

Opening day on any building is a rush for the contractor to finish and get the building open on time and pass all inspections. And the FFE takes time for the owner to be ready and get going. Hell, maybe they had some stuff ordered and were still awaiting shipment. As an owner, your contractor delays have a huge impact on that. If you order to much stuff and then the end date delays and you are hit with costs to store materials offsite and this gets expensive.

I am sure once this dealer got going they stocked all the things you needed. And on day one they want the showroom perfect. The shop may take a week or two to be fully functional. Wheel bearings, starters, voltage regulators, brake pads. All common things a shop would stock. The less common stuff will always be 3 days out. Doesn't make sense to keep a bunch of attic stock on parts you rarely need.

And remember, the dealers are franchised so the owner has to balance his budget based on sales and service needs. So brand new dealer has no customer base and needs a little time to get going.

This is not corporate Indian's fault. This is just what happens.

I am a General Contractor and our company has built three Volvo dealerships and 2 Mercedes dealerships in recent years and trust me it is a real shit show just prior to the grand opening. With Car dealers they are more concerned with the outside and showroom as they need somewhere to park all those cars. The back of house areas they have some forgiveness and are less concerned if you have some punch items or minor problems to correct prior to them being 100% operational.

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Rider
538 Posts
So let's get this straight... you're opening a dealership so you secure a used site for 200k and then spend 10's of thousands buliding it up to Indian's standards or spend 3 times as much starting from scratch then you spend another 150K or so for some showroom bikes and then completely stock the accessories dept. and don't forget another 20 k for the clothing dept. Then you hire the entire staff. Of course you completely stocked the parts dept. no one will ever see on opening day, before you did the rest ...right!!!

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
It's not just Indian, I needed a valve cover for a 2011 Cruze, dealer didn't have one but could order it. I said, so can I for less then msrp and had it delivered to my door for $48.00 less then the dealer wanted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts