Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rider
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I have the Green/cream vintage, and am thinking of painting it. .

I don't want any fancy drawings or pinstriping. Just a darker color, some shade of black, dark grey, arm green....etc.

Anyone done that? Are bike painters usually able to take down all parts and reassemble without screwing something up? Sorry, never painted a bike.

What am I to expect price-wise (ball park)?

Also any color ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Vendor / bronze
2,947 Posts
Expensive painters that are too busy probably have insurance and do it right. Cheap painters that can work on it right away.....well. I don't know for sure about this idea but what about vinyl wrap. You can get almost anything done and far less chance of damage. I see some pretty cool jobs done on cars so I assume it would work on a bike.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Could you get a good bike mechanic to remove and refit the panels? Any decent auto painter can do the prep and painting, they do it all day every day. They could apply stonechip or schutz to the inside of your fenders while they're at it.(y) Get along to your auto paint supplier and look at some colour swatches, there are thousands of colours to select from.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Definitely have a bike shop, not body shop do the disassembly and reassembly. A good body shop is still not used to the nuances of motorcycles. If they paint, all the better. Otherwise a body shop can certainly paint it, but you will definitely get what you pay for when it comes to paint quality.

·
Rider
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't even know what those are, but will look them up. There are wraps for motorcycles or made for cars?

·
Registered
224 Posts
it's a shrink wrap material like a sticker that they print and apply over the paint. usually seen on work vans or buses. Seems to fade after a couple of years though.
As far as paint goes The dark colors I've seen that I like are a really dark metallic clearcoat green that I've seen on some Toyotas. Ford has a green like that too that you see on Explorers. And a really dark metallic blue that you see on Explorers too. The '68 Pontiac dark green is a great color as well. There's also a dark root beer brown on the Ford Flex that looks good and a slightly lighter metallic like caramel brown on some Toyotas.( Highlanders I think) There's a nice dark red that you can get on GM trucks

·
Bronze member
1,590 Posts
Some things to think about when painting a bike:
  • Having the painter remove and replace the metal will add about 10-15 hours of labor to the bill. Most shops charge around $100/hr. to do it. I would suggest getting a service manual and doing it yourself. If you are even moderately mechanically inclined and have some basic tools, it's not a problem
  • Cost of paint is dependant on what you want. Basic colors are the cheapest; pearls and metallics are more, as are candy's. Some can be as much as $400/qt.
  • Quality painters will do a scuff of the parts, then paint, wet sand and clear. The type of paint dictates the number of steps in the process and adds to cost. Metallics, pearls and candy's take more layers with sanding in between
  • A good painter will charge between $2-3K for a two tone paint job. Graphics add more, as would elaborate pin-striping. I had a candy green done over holographic metal-flake with a gold leaf war bonnet done for $2500 6 years ago. That cost would be about $500 higher now due to material expenses increasing.
  • Don't forget the cost of replacing the chrome strips on the fenders. They aren't overly expensive but will have to be replaced.
  • When you go to a painter to discuss the project, have an idea of what you want, as well as some color thoughts in mind. Their time is money and the more time you take to make a decision, or need to consult with them could add to the cost.
I have had 5 bikes painted by the same person - everything from a basic single color, to copper graphics with metal flake and pearls. The biggest cost factor is usually a factor of difficulty, which translates to hours, which means $$$.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey folks,
I have the Green/cream vintage, and am thinking of painting it. .

I don't want any fancy drawings or pinstriping. Just a darker color, some shade of black, dark grey, arm green....etc.

Anyone done that? Are bike painters usually able to take down all parts and reassemble without screwing something up? Sorry, never painted a bike.

What am I to expect price-wise (ball park)?

Also any color ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
Ask your dealer if they work with a painter. My local dealer has a custom painter they contract with and he's done some wonderful jobs. It ain't cheap, but hey what is anymore?

·
Rider
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the tips.
I'll have to think about it. Not sure I want to spend that much more money on the bike. Suddenly the green and ivory are looking good again 😀

1 - 11 of 11 Posts