Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While pulling out of the garage I scraped the side edge of my right lower on a table which rubbed the paint off about a 3” length along the edge. I have the Indian Red touch up paint from Indian, but not sure best way to “paint” the rubbed area. Any suggestions? Prefer not to have to buy a new lower.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only way to "fix" this issue without spray painting is to use your touch up paint in a very patient manner. 1. Clean the area thoroughly with a water based cleaner like windex...2. Using your touch up paint,, fill the scratch with the paint, probably have to repeat this step at least 4-5 times, letting it cure/dry completely between coats....this is going to bring the scratched area higher than the existing paint.3 Find a really small sanding block or drum and starting with about 1500-2000 grit (wet or dry) sand the scratched surface to level it with the existing or surrounding paint. Doing this, you will have to continually sand and wipe to "see" when both surfaces are "level" (try to sand just the scratch, but you will get a little of the surrounding paint, especially as you get close to both the scratch and the not scratched area the same "height".) 4. Buff the sanded area....(3 step process) Your local body shop might be able to help I've done this process numerous times, (retired auto body instructor) and it will never be perfect, but will be so miniscule that only you will see the repair because you know where its at. Hope this helps and is not too confusing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only way to "fix" this issue without spray painting is to use your touch up paint in a very patient manner. 1. Clean the area thoroughly with a water based cleaner like windex...2. Using your touch up paint,, fill the scratch with the paint, probably have to repeat this step at least 4-5 times, letting it cure/dry completely between coats....this is going to bring the scratched area higher than the existing paint.3 Find a really small sanding block or drum and starting with about 1500-2000 grit (wet or dry) sand the scratched surface to level it with the existing or surrounding paint. Doing this, you will have to continually sand and wipe to "see" when both surfaces are "level" (try to sand just the scratch, but you will get a little of the surrounding paint, especially as you get close to both the scratch and the not scratched area the same "height".) 4. Buff the sanded area....(3 step process) Your local body shop might be able to help I've done this process numerous times, (retired auto body instructor) and it will never be perfect, but will be so miniscule that only you will see the repair because you know where its at. Hope this helps and is not too confusing.
Thanks Bobcat89 for that detailed input. I might run it past our local auto body shop to see how much they would charge to do the touch up first. (Can you tell I’m chicken about making a mistake and making it worse?:)). Thanks again. Will update accordingly.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Thanks Bobcat89 for that detailed input. I might run it past our local auto body shop to see how much they would charge to do the touch up first. (Can you tell I’m chicken about making a mistake and making it worse?:)). Thanks again. Will update accordingly.
Take the lower off before you do that. You’ll get a lower quote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.