Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Chief Classic Pearl White.
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I stopped by my local dealer yesterday to check out the 2020 models and the Challenger. Very nice and impressive. The gray paint, I guess it’s “Titanium”, was quite fine orange peeled, especially on the fairing and front fender. Are they purposefully trying to “degloss” the paint using that technique? Other than that, it was impressive. When I look at the Indian website it does not appear that “glossy” either. Maybe that is the intended look. All of the other bikes seemed to have a nice even gloss.

·
Bronze member
2,656 Posts
I’ve seen numerous Challengers on my dealer‘s floor and the paint looks great. No different quality-wise than the other 2020 models.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,441 Posts
I stopped by my local dealer yesterday to check out the 2020 models and the Challenger. Very nice and impressive. The gray paint, I guess it’s “Titanium”, was quite fine orange peeled, especially on the fairing and front fender. Are they purposefully trying to “degloss” the paint using that technique? Other than that, it was impressive. When I look at the Indian website it does not appear that “glossy” either. Maybe that is the intended look. All of the other bikes seemed to have a nice even gloss.
That’s the matte finish so it’s supposed to look deglossed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
The clear coat is too soft. My dealer has a Blue challenger that looks like someone took steel wool to the bike, swirl city.

·
Registered
Chief Classic Pearl White.
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I am just too old school. My Street bob in black denim was a true matte finish but was smooth as glass. It was not metallic though. I guess Matte Metallics may have to be done this way. I guess a good conversation to have with the sales guy next trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Titanium base model is high gloss paint, not matte. The one I saw was gorgeous. A small amount of orange peel is acceptable on a production bike. A custom paint job is micro-fine sanded like glass and then buffed.

·
Bronze member
1,533 Posts
What do the manufacturers see in loading up the glossy paints with metallic flake and sparkle? What happened to SOLID colored paints? I think metallic paint makes the paint/bike look cheap. Wanted to buy a Limited Challenger, but I thought the red one looked orange, green, blue, yellow and lime green in the light. The blue one was a little better, but again I do not like metallic paint, so I bought the murdered out Black Smoke Dark Horse. So far, so good....but I just don't know how durable that finish is going to look after 10,000, 20,000, 50,000 miles. Maybe at that point, I simply paint the skins the color I really wanted....which was Springfield Blue! For me, bring back the SOLID colored original Indian colors in Indian Red and Springfield Blue. I think you'll sell every one of them....especially to the old school guys. I think adding metallic flake to the paint mix is a CHEAPER process...but what do I know??!?!?

·
Rider
1,262 Posts
I have a tiny amount on the top surface between the indents in the fairing. Everywhere else is perfect. View attachment 575357
There's orange peel all over that bike. i can see it in every bit of the reflections. Especially around your silhouette and garage opening.

Orange peel is very difficult to overcome these days with the regulations put on paints to make them less toxic. Even the best of the best painters (here in California, with some of the strictest laws regarding this situation) still have a hard time over coming it. Even with all the professional sanding and buffing they do afterwards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts