Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout Bobber
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Dirty Bird Radiator cover for my 2018 Scout Bobber. I'm thinking of having it vynyl wrapped instead of painting it. Has anyone had that part on their bike wrapped? Any disadvantages of having it wrapped compared to painted?

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
3D hydrographic dipping is also worthy perhaps of due consideration?

·
Registered
2018 Indian Scout Bobber
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The graphics on the rear fender looks really cool. Was the fender dipped and clear coated? What is the difference in pricing from wrapping and hydrographing? I was considering wrapping due to the radiator cover probably seeing a lot of wear and tear from road debris. I thought vynl might hold up better than paint against chips and scratches. I could be wrong.

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
Hydrographic 3D dipping is a lot more expensive than simple wrapping. Basically the undercoat is normally prepared and painted in the color of your choice, the weave or style of dip is then applied followed by clear coat. The chin spoiler I had done has withstood three seasons of riding very well. The results speak for themselves and the fender finish was amazing with a lot of depth due to the clear coat application afterwards as you can see by the reflective properties of the fender itself.

I have a very good paint shop called Wicked Coatings very close to me so the choice was easy. A simple wrap can of course be removed and redone at minimal cost, dipping cannot. Wrap normally has a finite life dependent on how harsh the conditions are, sunlight, wear and tear etc. It purely depends on how deep your pockets are and what finish you wish to achieve? You could of course simply Plasti Dip it at home yourself too, then peel it off and redo it at will without damaging the original silver finish?

Wicked Coatings | Motorcycle Archives | Page 3 of 9

·
Bronze member
5,077 Posts
My first effort would be Plastidip. One advantage it has is how easy it is to cover any stone chips over time.

I had my plain steel JES fork lowers powder coated to match my dark horse and in three years the coating is showing signs of wear. Rather than have the coating done again I gave them a spray of Plastidip, easy. Because they take the first hit from road grit I figured more regular touchups are possible with an easy spray when necessary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts