Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cracked saddle bag in my shop off of a customer's bike. I am currently plastic welding it to repair it. I am having a very hard time finding the paint code for smoke white which is the color of the 2017 Indian chieftain limited. My local Indian dealership is not giving me the paint code but is trying to sell me a $100 aeresol can or I can spend $536 on a quart with the clear coat through the dealer... I do not want to take either of these options. Anyone know how to access this code or can point me in the right direction to color match...

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you go on cheap cycle parts and looks at the fender, it will have the paint code and description. Looks like P-675 for smoke white.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My dealership gave me the code for Thunder black but it makes no difference because its only available from INDIAN. Body shops cant match it so you are forced to buy from Indian

·
Bronze member
4,158 Posts
My dealership gave me the code for Thunder black but it makes no difference because its only available from INDIAN. Body shops cant match it so you are forced to buy from Indian

Some of the paint colors are available outside of Polaris especially ones that have been used on Victory's and earlier models.

·
Registered
326 Posts
or I can spend $536 on a quart with the clear coat through the dealer...
I guess that would be about the cost of a new saddlebag??
That does seem a little expensive!
I would think matching the Matt paint could be tricky though.
Rob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did some digging...The Victory Cross Country in Suede white is the same code on cheap cycle parts. Went to touch up direct and they have that particular bike listed. Should be able to get a pen, brush, can etc. I would suggest crosschecking tho lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you I'm gonna look into the victory suede white, because yes it would appear purchasing a new saddlebag might end up being the cheaper route. According to my paint guy light matte or denim colors with any metallic flake or pearl are the hardest colors to match. The journey continues. I remember years back when Harley wouldn't release their paint codes, not sure if it's still that way since I haven't had anything real new through my shop in a while, but it seemed after 2-3 years the codes would be more available. I simply never understood their reasoning behind these greedy methods, seems like these tactics drive customers away especially after they invest 30k in a scooter....

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
I do t know if their is a KOI auto parts store in your area. Mine has a paint / auto body shop area in it. The paint guy to some kind of light refraction paint reader device to the gas tank and matched my paint so that I could paint the air cleaner to match.

Depending on how old the bike is and the paint fade if any this may be an option so it matches perfectly. I’m not a paint guy so I don’t know if you can thin it out or add to 100% match.

in the below photo the color in person matches exactly.

·
Rider
481 Posts
Don't know where you are from, but here on the west coast of Florida (Bradenton) is a paint store (Final Finish) that has that very expensive paint camera to match paint with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts