Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched as many ways as possible and there are so many ways to ask this question that I can't find the answer so here goes - What bags / luggage are people using on the luggage rack behind the sissy bar on your Chieftain? Getting ready to take a 3 day trip with the wife. We would prefer not to have something that slips over the rear seat pad. Thanks all!

·
Rider
569 Posts
Numerous brands have bags/luggage with a heavy duty velcro strap that will fit under the sissy bar pad. That, along with a bunge cord or two, will secure the bag worry free. Nelson-Rigg has a very nice line of luggage.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I trip with the Dryspec 66 set, it comes with ind 38 liter waterproof duffle and one 28 liter waterproof duffle that are made to lash together and to your luggage rack.

Best bags I have ever tripped with.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Both my brother and I use bags made by a company called Road Ready MC Luggage. They have a great quality build to them, also a really good selection. A good plus is they are made in the USA and are priced very reasonable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also have the Dryspec D66 bags (DrySpec D66 Waterproof Motorcycle Dry Bag Modular Packing System in Black, Grey & Orange | TwistedThrottle.com) and a Route 66 T-Bag (T-Bags - custom motorcycle luggage Route 66 Roller Bag T-Bags) that provides more than enough room for long trips. Only drawback is the T-Bag won't fit over the OEM passenger backrest. I solved that problem when I got a new Corbin seat by also getting a narrower Corbin passenger backrest pad that's made to fit the stock Indian backrest (Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Indian Chief | 800-538-7035). Below is a pic of my Chieftain fully loaded up on a two week trip I took through the US Southwest last year.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
IMG_2325.jpg

I use a waterproof bag I bought from campmore.com Sea to Summit Big River Dry Bag - 35 Liter It holds a sleeping bag, (mid temp) extra set of cloths smokes, lighter, flashlight and rope.. If needed I can put it on the back seat and use it as a back rest.. I use it as a pillow.. I'm owned it for 17+ years.. WELL worth the money.. It doesn't match the bike and it's not big name branded but it was a fair price and has worked for many years. I would guess it's seen well over 150,000 miles..

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I will vouch for the bag I have.. it is rubber... I've ridden in 6" rain in 30 minutes.. I know some would stop, but I was 150 miles from home while on a 1,400 mile (each way) ride and had ridden in the rain for over 900 miles.. I just wanted to get home..

Packing tip for my bag.. put baby powder in the bag first as the sleeping bag is a tight fit.. Then pack clothing items you may need after getting wet.. NEVER pack them before the sleeping bag as it is a little bit of a job too get it in there.. After sleeping bag is packed there is room for two sets of cloths..

Bonus. Bag can also be used Cannoning, rafting, fishing or submarine use.. very water proof.. up to 20ft below the surface.. badlands 4.jpg

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I trip with the Dryspec 66 set, it comes with ind 38 liter waterproof duffle and one 28 liter waterproof duffle that are made to lash together and to your luggage rack.

Best bags I have ever tripped with.

I have this also. It was cheapest on Amazon. Got it in 24 hours with Prime.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I've got a kuryakyn grand tour bag. It fits nicely behind me on the passenger seat and the velcro holds it snuggly to the passenger backrest. It could also sit behind the backrest as long as you have a luggage rack back there. It's a nice riggid bag with lots of compartments. The compartments help me stay a little organized while touring. It's not perfect but it's a pretty good bag.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I have logged tens of thousands of miles with a Saddlemen sissy bar bag and highly recommend them. The one I used could be mounted on the passenger seat or behind the sissy bar on a rack, and could even be worn as a back pack although I would not recommend that method. They are well constructed, have plenty of storage area and are easy to install and remove once you do it a couple of times. Only thing I didn't like about mine was that it wasn't waterproof but the included 'attached' rain cover went on quickly and worked well.

Now that I have sold my sidecar rig, will be retired in about 10 days and will be back on two wheels soon, I will probably be buying another Saddlemen bag for traveling which I plan on doing plenty of.

Saddlemen Motorcycle Seats & Components

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I would post an update. First thanks to everyone for the excellent recommendations. I ended up going with the Dowco Iron Rider Main Tail bag with the Dowco Iron Rider small roll bag for toiletries strapped on top of the main bag. For the wife and I riding 2100+ miles in a week long trip these worked out perfectly. I did have to get creative to securely mount the main bag to the front (the sissy bar is too wide to use the built in velcro straps), but once I figured it out it was secure, rain proof, held up like a champ and holds the perfect amount of clothes and gear.

Thanks again all...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts