Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a Vintage for 2015 and was wondering how happy owners were with the comfort of the stock seat? I am in the process of ordering my 4th seat from Russell as I've had excellent results every time... Amazing comfort for riding long distance..Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep I love my seat but I did add the drive backrest

Reactions: maddmat

·
Registered
175 Posts
Why would you buy the seat before you purchased the bike?? Is this an advertisement??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I love my seat but I did add the drive backrest

That's what I thought I would do too...try the back rest and head for a long ride and see how it feels...I know it's very hard to build a seat that everyone agrees on...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't purchase ANYTHING until I have put a few hundred miles on a bike. It takes that long for the bike and the butt to become friends or enemies. My Chieftain has a black leather seats and after adding the riders and passengers back rests, I see no reason to spend more on the seat. I do admit to adding highway pegs to get me into a better touring position and my cup holder to keep me hydrated on the longer runs.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
2015 Vintage, 500 miles total, one 250 mi. ride and I like it so far.

I'm used to Corbin's but the stock seat is real soft and plush and comfortable for me after 500 mi. I was ready for more miles after all of the rides but, the rain was ready to come down.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
I just did a two day ride in my Vintage and was pleasantly surprised. I had a Gold Wing before the Indian, and I could only go 2 hours on the Wing before butt ache set in. The Vintage seat was more comfortable than the Wing... But maybe this is only attributable to my particular frame (I'm 6'4"). Like the others said, ride it for a few weeks before deciding.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Payed to much to be changing out seat already, gots to get my Money's worth!!! But, the back rest is on point!!! Plus too, the seat looks damn good!!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I had the stock seat on my Chieftain and hated it after 40 miles. Put on a Mustang and was good to go four 4 hours. Bought a Russell Daylong and forgot I am even sitting on a motorcycle seat.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
First new bike that I have bought (I have bought six new ones in the last twelve years) that I do not need to change the saddle. I can ride my Chieftain for eight hours with a few rest stops and never have a sore ass. Perfect saddle if you ask me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
MillChief,
Ia your 2015 seat tan and is it wearing well (no fading)? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2015 and I'm hoping that the seat fade problem from 2014 has been resolved.

It's good to see threads where the 2014 owners have dyed leather too. They look great!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I put 3000 miles on my Vintage and the stock seat just didn't work for me for the long trips. I couldn't ride more than 100 miles before my butt went completely numb. I've talked to a number of folks and many are happy with the stock seat and it works for them. It didn't for me. I sent my seat out to Mean City Cycles and had the double layer of memory foam put on, after they shaved some of the stock foam out. The seat looks stock, but I rode 365 miles yesterday with only 3 stops. 2 for gas and 1 for lunch. My butt has never been happier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I acquired my 2014 Vintage in April '15. After reading all the bitching about seat comfort, I came real close to sending off my stock seat to Mean City for "upgrade" before striking off on a 2800 mile Sturgis Rally trip. In the end, and after taking numerous half-day rides in blissful comfort, I decided to use the Sturgis trip as a test case to see if the seat really needs anything.

I'm here to report that seat is the most comfortable I've EVER ridden, including Corbins I have installed on my Moto Guzzi California and Honda CBX. I just can't imagine any sort of modification that would make this seat better than stock right out of the box.

We had one 14 hour, 620 mile day on the trip (I know, it pales by comparison with a guy we met on the way who claimed he had ridden 1200 miles straight from Florida, beginning at midnight!), and not one single time did I ever have an issue with my butt. Granted, we generally stopped for a short stretch break every 1 - 1-1/2 hours or so, but I couldn't be more pleased with the seat as it came from the factory.

I consider myself rather average build for an old codger.. 210 lbs and 6'2". Clearly, these bikes are made to fit only one body style perfectly, so I can see perhaps shorter, taller, heavier riders might have issues I haven't detected.

Phil - Austin

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I went with the Corbin Solo seat. One inch taller and two inches back. That combo with the Aeromach Floorboard Lowering Kit Really helped in the extra leg room dept.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
MillChief,
Ia your 2015 seat tan and is it wearing well (no fading)? I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2015 and I'm hoping that the seat fade problem from 2014 has been resolved.

It's good to see threads where the 2014 owners have dyed leather too. They look great!
Vintage15,

I have 7,000 miles on my 15 now and no sign of wear or fading. I have used the Indian 15 dressing and also use Skidmores Bee's wax, seams to work real good.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts