Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the oversized grips from the Dealer today. Very easy install. I like these much better than the little stock ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have seen where a couple of folks said their kit didn't come with the adhesive - did yours? Was at the Scottsdale dealer yesterday and they didn't have these in stock so will have to check with Peoria.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine didn't come with adhesive.
So since I have never swapped out grips - what type of adhesive are you supposed to use? Would think if the instruction sheet lists it and give it in the steps one would think it would be included.

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
When replacing grips, I have found the best adhesive to use is 3M Black weather stripping adhesive. It doesn't dry hard and makes it a little easier to remove the grips if needed. Using super glues works. but if you need to remove the grips for any reason, you need to cut them off. With the 3M I removed and replaced the same grips just using a rubber strap wrench and giving them a good twist.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
So since I have never swapped out grips - what type of adhesive are you supposed to use? Would think if the instruction sheet lists it and give it in the steps one would think it would be included.
All these ideas are great.
To add I use hair spray.. been using that since my BMX days with out fail. Easy to remove when desired to boot.

On those new grips, are they any softer durometer then stock?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen where a couple of folks said their kit didn't come with the adhesive - did yours? Was at the Scottsdale dealer yesterday and they didn't have these in stock so will have to check with Peoria.
Does not come with glue and Indian Dealer did not sell it seprately. Don't tell anyone but I picked up some grip glue at the Harley Shop on my way home so I could finish the swap today.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think they are softer personally, but also the horizontal mold makes them a much better fit in my opinion. As far as what glue to use, I don't know, hairspray works well from what I have been told and as Hatt indicated. I had mine put on free when I bought my floorboards.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Love my Avon Air Grips on the Scout .. Partial to them also have them on the Victory and the Dyna..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got the Indian oversized grips for my scout. Easy install with good directions. The throttle side grip comes pre-installed on a throttle tube, so you end up with an "extra" throttle tube when you remove the original. A nice perk as now if I want to get non-OEM grips I've got a spare throttle tube to install them on before removing the ones on the bars.
Adhesive came with mine. Didn't use it; a squirt of contact adhesive and a quick install gets the clutch side on, and breaks free relatively easily.
All in all I'm not that impressed with the oversize grips...better than stock, not soft enough for my liking. YMMV.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I fitted Indian oversize grips too ... no glue in my kit, any general purpose clear adhesive will do. Superglue only if you can't get less drastic glue to work.

I really like these grips and having the RH grip already on a tube is a great help. LH grip slips on (with glue). Had to cut off stock LH grip.

only adverse comment is about the stock grips which IMO are horrible, these oversize grips should have been on in the first place.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I purchased the oversized grips from the Dealer today. Very easy install. I like these much better than the little stock ones.
They are nice!! This whole thing about adhesive blows me away! For $60, I got beautiful Avon grips installed at Daytona. They had them on in 5 mins!!! Took my old grips home intact too - super comfortable!!

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
132 Posts
I replaced the grips on the wife's scout with Avons. Can anyone tell me, why in world did the factory put so much glue on that left grip?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I replaced the grips on the wife's scout with Avons. Can anyone tell me, why in world did the factory put so much glue on that left grip?
Well, I can venture a guess: My First run had none on the left, zippo. Making it worse is that the grip appears to be slightly too big. I say that because I couldn't get it to bite at all with my usual go-to grip stickum, hair spray. If you read around, loose left side grips were apparently a not-uncommon thing on the early Scouts. I suspect they went with the maxi-application to combat this.

But, whatdoIknow?

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
They don't have adhesive. I bought some at cycle gear to keep it from turning on the clutch side...

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Well, I can venture a guess: My First run had none on the left, zippo. Making it worse is that the grip appears to be slightly too big. I say that because I couldn't get it to bite at all with my usual go-to grip stickum, hair spray. If you read around, loose left side grips were apparently a not-uncommon thing on the early Scouts. I suspect they went with the maxi-application to combat this.

But, whatdoIknow?
Buy some grip adhesive. No isles then. Of course you have to buy good adhesive. I didn't the first time...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts