Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my indian dealer quoted me 350$ in labor to install reduced reach handle bars. 120$ per hour. YouTube videos show about an hour.
What’s up?

·
Silver member
5,283 Posts
One could argue the time needed, but I'm not surprised by $120 an hour (my Ducati dealer charges $124...).

Just tell them 2 hours seems very long for a bar swap...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The dealerships use an installation/maintenance chart that maps hours to be charged for the work. If during the time they actually worked on the bike, 3 or 4 items were accomplished you are getting charged work * x hours for each line item even if the actual work took an hour for all of it. Your bike may have been in the "back" for multiple hours but actual time with a tech is far less.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I did mine myself in about 45 minutes on my Scout after I got all the tools together.
When I put the OEM back on after I found that I didn't like them it took about the same amount of time.

·
Bronze member
2016 Indian Scout
1,827 Posts
I put on reduced reach bars. I am not a mechanic, but can do minor work. Took me about an hour to change. Make sure you put something on the tank, in case bars slip down while installing. Ask a friend to help.

·
Bronze member
2,164 Posts
That price is reasonable for the amount of work it takes for removing and routing wires/cables in and around the new bars. Not the cheapest quote I've heard nor the easiest job to do. Took a full day and a half to install my mid rise bars. Most of the time was to get the bar even and angled to my liking. Took my time, changed out the hand grips, mirrors, windshield & headlights while the fairing was off (Chieftain Ltd). Taping off and protecting your paint/chrome & labeling any wires/connectors is recommended.

·
Silver member
3,480 Posts
I think you need a new dealer. Mine charges what time they spend on the job. Plus their rate now is a very fair for New Jersey 89 bucks. Plus I can go into the shop and discuss directly with the mechanics etc. Great customer-centric place. I keep plugging them cause frankly I think they deserve it. Indian of Monmouth.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Polaris probably has a Shop Rate book for every mechanical procedures, and that is how they set their billing hours. Quite often, if a job has a book rate of 2 hours, the mechanic/technician can do it in an hour or a little more. He/she will employ shortcuts and speed to accomplish this. At any rate the customer will pay the book rate for the job. This is not unusual. $120.00 an hour is a reasonable rate, depending on the location.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts