Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Over 80mph it feels as though the Clutch or Belt is slipping.

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  telescopes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hypothetically ...... if I were to throttle up at 80 mph it feels as though the Clutch or Belt is slipping. The bike does rev up, and will eventually will get to 90-100 mph, but just doesn't feel right. Has anyone experienced this. I just had Stage II Cams done and don't recall having this issue prior. Also a recent Belt & Pulley replacement. Bike is at 37k miles.

See less See more
#2 ·

By the way, that's an excellent picture of your bike.

#7 ·
I had the same issue on a ride. Didn't notice it until I want to do a full-throttle pass on a two lane road. As I had just replaced the clutch lever, I knew it was the adjustment. Fortunately, between my toolkit and my buddy's toolkit, we had two sets of pliers that I could use to make the adjustment.

Reactions: djbros1
#8 ·
I had the same problem, right after my dealer adjusted the clutch cable. On my way home (300 miles) from a service and checkover. Only thing they did was adjust the clutch cable. Half way home I twisted on the trottle and could tell it was reving faster than my speed. I babied it home without twisting too hard, and loosened it off the next day. 30,000 kms later, I still have no problems.

--
Gordon

#9 ·
I think it could also be the tassels on the clutch lever catching the wind and causing drag that is then partially pulling your lever in. It is well known on here i'm not a fan of tassels and fringes, but i'm being serious here, i'm sure I read on this forum or elsewhere of someone with a similar issue causing the front brake to drag, at speed tassels caught the wind and partially pulled his brake lever.

#13 ·
With that mileage I would definitely consider new clutch plates if that hasn't been serviced. Beautiful bike, photo.

Reactions: djbros1
#14 · (Edited)
I have found, when working on people's bikes, both Indian and Harley, that 9 out of 10 have a too tight of a clutch adjustment.

When the adjustment is too tight, you are on the edge of slippage in the top 2 gears.

Easy Remedy...............Adjust the cable to 1/8 inch gap where the cable enters the perch. Use a 1/8" drill bit Pull on cable at perch.

Just be careful after the adjustment. The friction zone comes on sooner.

When the clutch is adjusted too tight, the friction zone is closer to the end of lever travel.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.