Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a break in the weather & needed to run to Walmart, figured I'd jump on the bike.
Got about a mile from the house & after stopping at a light, it wouldn't move.

In gear, neutral, clutch in or out, it would only move about 8 inches. Stuck about 3 carlengths back from the light.

Called my father in law, the owner & he came to assist. Luckily, they live about 10 min away.

He put the hammer down on it & a bolt popped out the back.

Turns out a rear sprocket bolt had backed out & was caught in the swingarm. Tweaked the end of the swingarm & broke the sprocket bolt off. Marred up the sprocket a but & one of the other sprocket bolts.

Now to find a new swingarm, sprocket & bolts.

·
Administrator
15,369 Posts
Good grief — sorry to hear this. Glad it wasn’t in the middle of a road trip!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a source for a swingarm?
Found 2 on Ebay, both in black, current one is chrome. Personally I'm ok with black, but think my fil prefers chrome.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If they are cheap enough, get both of them. Put one on now for this season and send the other one out to get chromed and install it next off-season. Although, really I think the black one will look better and show less grime from the chain oil.
It's probably not the last time the bike is going to need work. Old bikes always need something, Especially older style designs - they vibrate more and there's always something that's come loose. Loc-tite can be your best friend :cool: A buddy of mine had a lot of old British bikes, He had a T-shirt that read, " TRIUMPH - turns ordinary men into mechanics " There's a lot of that in most old machines, that's one of the reasons that we love them... They need us.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a bad idea, personally, I don't think the black will look off on it, especially since it's partially hidden by the saddlebags & exhaust. But, given I'm not the owner, it'll come down to his preference.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
Those bolts need red locktite on the Gilly's. I've seen them backout with the blue on the sprocket before. There are only a few areas that need red. That is one of them...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tip. We'll probably replace the sprocket, since it got gouged by the broken bolt.
Father in law is deciding if he wants to have the inbound black swingarm chromed before we install.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New swingarm & chain guard are back from chrome.
Need to order a new rear sprocket & get to the labor. Father-in-law is out of town this weekend, so it'll probably be the weekend after that it all gets going.

Ready to be back in the saddle.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
Make sure you find a hardened steel sprocket. The aluminum ones will eventually wear and cut your belt. With that said the aluminum ones will last 90K or better before that happens.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
Oh, I forgot... I didn't reread the string, lol...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the rear wheel pulled & the gouged sprocket off. The sprocket bolts had no locktite on them! One had a gouged allen slot & we were able to get it out with channel locks.

Father-in-law is taking it to a shop or two to see about having the broken stud extracted.

Waiting on a new sprocket (ordered) and need to get replacement sprocket bolts.

Looks like just the shocks & pivot bolt need to be pulled & the swingarm should drop free.

Question, is the swingarm pivot 2 bolts & a threaded collar in between? Trying to figure out if we'll need to pull/drop the rear exhaust pipe for it to have enough clearance?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, that exploded photo helps a lot!
Anyone know if the bolt is short enough to clear the muffler? Would prefer to not need to drop the rear pipe if we don't have to.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update:

Spent Friday afternoon & Saturday morning pulling the bent swingarm & prepping and installing the new one.
The guy my f-i-l used in CA said it was about a 4 hour job. All in, I'd say we spent between 6-8 hours.

Worst part, was getting the threaded sleeve mounted between the swingarm pivot bushings. Extremely tight fit, and once we got that installed, we realized that the chain has to split it, so we had to remove it to get the chain in the proper placement.
Looking at my prior post, the R pivot bolt did hit the rear exhaust muffler. Luckily, we were able to remove a frame bolt & tilt the exhaust, rather than removing it from the head.

Got out for an hour shakedown ride to make sure everything was riding properly & to get some mileage on the new rear tire.
All went well in the end, apart from the new rear tire being a little underinflated & my f-i-l running out of gas about a mile from the house (makes me love having a gas gauge on the Vulcan).

Need to address the chain guard threads in the swingarm as well, not sure if the chrome plating 'clogged' the threads, or if they just need new bolts, could only get the bolts about 1/3 in before they got really difficult to turn & didn't want to force them.

We'll give it a 2nd check-through on all the bolts before getting it back on the road again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts