Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Service Manual for my '14 Chieftain. There is a near-spitting image similarity between the
torque/clutch compensators in my 07 Ultra Classic and the Chieftain. I just hope the fIndian version of lasts
longer than the 23K miles it took for the H-D oem compensator to fail. I personally replaced the HD's
with a 'Puking Buzzard' (aka 'Screamin Eagle) unit. Stronger plate springs that won't prematurely unload in a hot
engine start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
20064 said:
Just received my Service Manual for my '14 Chieftain. There is a near-spitting image similarity between the
torque/clutch compensators in my 07 Ultra Classic and the Chieftain. I just hope the fIndian version of lasts
longer than the 23K miles it took for the H-D oem compensator to fail. I personally replaced the HD's
with a 'Puking Buzzard' (aka 'Screamin Eagle) unit. Stronger plate springs that won't prematurely unload in a hot
engine start.
Please post pictures and specs.
Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spider, respectfully cannot scan or show photos from the manual. Would be instantly ID'd
as having violated the Copyright disclaimer in the respective manual(s).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20064 said:
Spider, respectfully cannot scan or show photos from the manual. Would be instantly ID'd
as having violated the Copyright disclaimer in the respective manual(s).
Sharing a scan or a photo is not copyright infringement, folks share PDF files all the time, just don't try to sell them.

Here's a photo of my Kingpin's front cyl cam and rocker assembly.

try again

ok, having a problem posting a pic, first time ever, i'll try later.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1169 said:
Sharing a scan or a photo is not copyright infringement, folks share PDF files all the time, just don't try to sell them.
<span>Uploading or downloading works protected by copyright without the authority of the copyright owner is an infringement of the copyright owner&rsquo;s exclusive rights of reproduction and/or distribution.
Anyone found to have infringed a copyrighted work </span><em>may be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 for each work infringed and, if willful infringement is proven by the copyright owner, that amount may be increased up to $150,000 for each work infringed</em><span>.

</span>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uploading a photo and page from a manual for the purpose of comparison in a discussion is likely covered under the doctrine of fair use.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn express once.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOL I'm a lawyer and the copying of a small portion of an owners manual for the purpose discussed would be covered under the 'fair use' doctrine. The copyright laws do not forbid this. If you published an entire chapter of the manual, all you would possibly get is a letter saying don't do it again - if that. However, Stanford Law School has developed the 'Fair Use Project' to give some guidance on the use of copyrighted materials, as follows:

Unfortunately, the only way to get a definitive answer on whether a particular use is a fair use is to have it resolved in federal court. Judges use four factors to resolve fair use disputes, as discussed in detail below. It&rsquo;s important to understand that these factors are only guidelines that courts are free to adapt to particular situations on a case‑by‑case basis. In other words, a judge has a great deal of freedom when making a fair use determination, so the outcome in any given case can be hard to predict.
The four factors judges consider are:
<ul>
<li>the purpose and character of your use</li>
<li>the nature of the copyrighted work</li>
<li>the amount and substantiality of the portion taken, and</li>
<li>the effect of the use upon the potential market.</li>
</ul>
Long story short: I wouldn't worry about discussing a portion of the service manual on this forum.

This is brought to you as a public service, but donations are gladly accepted - LOL. Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YUP Fair use, Harley has been PO'd about that for many many years, not a thing they can do about it though.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Polaris said Indian wasn't going to parts share with Victory, they never said anything about parts sharing with Harley lmao!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
14087 said:
LOL I'm a lawyer and the copying of a small portion of an owners manual for the purpose discussed would be covered under the 'fair use' doctrine.

Looking at your occupation and your list of bikes makes me realize
I should have done more school work. I want to be one of those guys who has a
muscle bike for riding with my buddies, and a Vision or Chieftain for taking
the wife for a ride, I tell my sons, its not luck, its school and hard work that gets it done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Copy or don't copy. No matter to me but NO lawyer in the world is going to waste their time going after you for posting a single page of the service manual. Why would they (or the company they represent) spend hundreds or thousands of dollars over a single page of a public document?
Whew. And I thought I was paranoid.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
19969 said:
14087 said:
LOL I'm a lawyer and the copying of a small portion of an owners manual for the purpose discussed would be covered under the 'fair use' doctrine.

Looking at your occupation and your list of bikes makes me realize
I should have done more school work. I want to be one of those guys who has a
muscle bike for riding with my buddies, and a Vision or Chieftain for taking
the wife for a ride, I tell my sons, its not luck, its school and hard work that gets it done.

Sorry to disappoint, but I sold or traded my former bikes and only have one now. That said, I sure wish I had room for some of those older bikes, because they were great rides. After reading your post, I edited my profile to show that I only have one bike now. Cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
14087 said:
19969 said:
Sorry to disappoint, but I sold or traded my former bikes and only have one now. That said, I sure wish I had room for some of those older bikes, because they were great rides. After reading your post, I edited my profile to show that I only have one bike now. Cheers!
I know what you mean about the room to store them, I look on ebay all the time trying to find a 1984 Honda CB 125, If one ever comes up, I'm getting it just for memories. I wish I had several of my old bikes back too, and when I soled them, I really didnt get any money to make it worth while. I really would like to have my BMW back, plus my wifes TW200, I really dont know why I sold them, other than just bad timing

·
Banned
3,888 Posts

Here's a photo of my Kingpin's front cyl cam and rocker assembly.

try again

ok, having a problem posting a pic, first time ever, i'll try later.
[bookworm]

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,441 Posts
engine start.
They do share some of the same suppliers. In fact a friend Of mine who works at the Harley plant here in Kansas city has shown me a n invoice or packing slip from Indian and Victory some type of round chrome plated Indian cover like a derby cover and turn signals.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts