Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 RM w/ Freedom duals and tips, got em off over a year ago when I gutted most the baffle material. Now I have decided I want it not so loud. I have some material to go back in. I got the right side tip-off (surprisingly so since it was very scraped from riding. and the set screw was boogered) The left side is loose, I can wiggle a bit. But it seems stuck. Yes, both set screws are out, I have used lubricant, rags and vice grips taped ends of screwdrivers etc. There is nothing inside close enough to grab with a gear puller....any other ideas? TIA

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This may sound silly, but how about some heat inside. Probably a layer of rust formed between the two walls, needs to be broken up. Heat it up by running the engine in place for a few minutes, knock on it with a true rubber mallet, (not plastic). See if it starts coming loose, pull it out.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may sound silly, but how about some heat inside. Probably a layer of rust formed between the two walls, needs to be broken up. Heat it up by running the engine in place for a few minutes, knock on it with a true rubber mallet, (not plastic). See if it starts coming loose, pull it out.
Bingo, I had just read that! I cranked it a few. I had been using a rubber mallet, it finally broke free. Man that was a struggle. Easter should be easy day things. Though.....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only put a little baffle fiberglass wrap in it, still sounds the same loudness ....maybe I add some more later. I figured I would add too much and be super quiet, wrong....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When you put the tips back on use some anti-seize, the silver stuff. Multiple companies put it out. If the sound is still wrong, at least you'll be able to get the tips off easily.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After I put the one round of rap on and actually
When you put the tips back on use some anti-seize, the silver stuff. Multiple companies put it out. If the sound is still wrong, at least you'll be able to get the tips off easily.
After I put the one round of wrap on and actually rode it a while, it is a little quieter. My better half on Sunday I had to go back to her out-of-town job where we keep the RV. So she followed me and she said when I was beside her she couldn’t hear me. I found that slightly hard to believe. Once I’m in front of her she could. It’s still fairly loud to me so I may add one more layer. But I haven’t decided. But if I do I will get The NTC’s for a future attempts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts