Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down, and bought a replacement saddlebag for the one that fell off and was destroyed on a trip this summer. Not wanting to deal with that again, a man ordering Osprey spools. On their website the instructions include some measuring and drilling.....I assume that's if you don't currently have any spools? What's the installation process to replace the stock Vintage spools, pretty simple? Thanks!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bolt on replacement. Thread the stock spools out and thread the Osprey spools in. Very happy with mine.

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
I finally broke down, and bought a replacement saddlebag for the one that fell off and was destroyed on a trip this summer. Not wanting to deal with that again, a man ordering Osprey spools. On their website the instructions include some measuring and drilling.....I assume that's if you don't currently have any spools? What's the installation process to replace the stock Vintage spools, pretty simple? Thanks!
Measuring and drilling is on the saddle bags ... for the (security) bolt holes ;)

Bike side is bolt on ...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Problem with losing your saddlebag and others that have the same problem is not in the spools. Its the latch assembly's inside the bags themselves. The pin that holds the latch in place seems to working loose on some bikes. It did on mine but caught it before anything happened. Probably drove around for a month with a bad latch before I realized it. With just one latch holding on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm not mistaken, these new spools eliminate the latch, and use a bolt to attach bags to bike, correct?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also, an FYI. The Osprey spools come with a thin rubber wrap. After taking off the quick release sissy bar a few times, it will start to tear. Just remove the rubber wrap and replace with the plastic cover/wrap from the OEM spools.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Yeah thats true...............I just looked. I stand corrected.
This with the kickstand and fading leather that Indian played dodgeball with consumers ....................
On the other forum there was someone trying to get a class action lawsuit started against Polaris on the spool/latch/falling off saddlebag issue. He was droned out and threatened, and I don't know what ever happened. There were also a few that machined out their own spools and I imagine they used a bolt also. The latch system should be the way to go as it is fast to do when cleaning the bike or just removing the bags. I have bolts on one of the Suzuki Intruders and its a friggen pain in the ass as those bolts hold up the rear fender also. Guess it is just a few minutes or less than minute compared to getting a socket wrench and undoing all 4 spool bolts.
Makes it harder to steal with bolts. Cooks choice here...........

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Between cost of replacement, and ease of theft, I'll just take the bolt method. I rarely take the bags off anyway.

·
Registered
293 Posts
FYI, I have the Osprey Spools on my Chief. No drilling required on bags (or anywhere)......unless you have Osprey bags or some other aftermarket bags that do not already have holes for mounting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to know. I really don't want to be drilling on my bike or bags.....Ordered, they should be here in a few days, and I can put my bags on again without worrying about them taking off at 70 again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bags worked just fine with the standard quick release handles...until I put gear in them, then they failed. Just got my osprey spools and am installing tomorrow. I expected more from Polaris.

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
FYI, I have the Osprey Spools on my Chief. No drilling required on bags (or anywhere)......unless you have Osprey bags or some other aftermarket bags that do not already have holes for mounting.
That is good to know!! I was wondering why I would have to drill another hole(s) in the factory bags to use the Osprey spools?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’ve had my bags quick release fall apart inside the bags to many times and hereing horrible story’s
About bags falling off
so my simple is trick is silacone
I ran a bead along each clap we’re the plastic meets the pin this should help in a couple of ways
locking the pin in place no side movement
And second not allowing the pin and assembly to pop out and fall apart
Wile you can still misinstall the bags I think this simple fix will do to trick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts