Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you go to the Osprey website, it says they are no longer accepting orders on saddlbags or trunks but will still offer some other products. Apparently, David the owner and master craftsman is easing himself into retirement. I hope he is in good health and continues to be. Always sad to see craftsmen like that retire, there will be less handmade quality items and more factory mass produced items going forward.

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave makes nice bags - i was lucky enough to get some with the Indian logo on them before Indian shut that down. I wonder how many people pick up a trade like that anymore?

View attachment 278801
Those are awesome. I wish Indian was more open with licensing outside products. If I was in charge, I would be happy to license high quality products like this and the Zambini brothers emblems and I would charge very low rates to attract as many high quality vendors as possible, quality, not making huge money off these license fees would be my primary concern. The way I figure, these items will grow the brand and start to build a large aftermarket to compete with Harley's massive and all encompassing aftermarket, which is a major reason they are the market leader. Then I would make my money on increased bike sales as well as in house accessories and trinkets. Especially in markets Polaris doesn't intend to compete like emblems and parts for other generations of Indian bikes.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
He needs to get some business sense in a real hurry and continue these even if he is not there. Seems to have a very good reputation. Why let it go down with the sunset? I don't get it...............

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He needs to get some business sense in a real hurry and continue these even if he is not there. Seems to have a very good reputation. Why let it go down with the sunset? I don't get it...............
I suppose it would be a matter of finding someone he felt was skilled enough to carry on his brand who didn't already have their own gig. That way he could enjoy a more comfortable retirement and we all could continue to have high quality hand made bags available. He could always sell the name to cheap foreign mass producers but he probably has too much pride for that or he would have done it long ago. I am going to move back to his neck of the woods and was planning on checking out his handiwork, but I guess not anymore.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
I suppose it would be a matter of finding someone he felt was skilled enough to carry on his brand who didn't already have their own gig. That way he could enjoy a more comfortable retirement and we all could continue to have high quality hand made bags available. He could always sell the name to cheap foreign mass producers but he probably has too much pride for that or he would have done it long ago. I am going to move back to his neck of the woods and was planning on checking out his handiwork, but I guess not anymore.
This may be your or another ones calling here. Pretty big market out there. You know what Indian riders want..............
Could make it a nice mail order business netting you around 300K a year. Hello summer place in Tahoe and a winter spread in Hawaii..........

·
Founding member
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went to his website. He does really nice work. Pretty good prices to, $795 for a set of leather bags is a great deal.
That's the other thing I was thinking too. He charges significantly less for his handmade by an American craftsman leather bags than Indian does for mass produced pieces (I think they are imported from a country with cheap labor too, I know some of their accessories are, can anyone confirm?)

·
Bronze member
2,245 Posts
That's the other thing I was thinking too. He charges significantly less for his handmade by an American craftsman leather bags than Indian does for mass produced pieces (I think they are imported from a country with cheap labor too, I know some of their accessories are, can anyone confirm?)
You should tell him to contact a business broker and list his business along with the fact that the will train someone in the craft.

Somebody who got "early retirement" from a large company might be up for it. They usually get a lump sum to go away.

HTH.

WD./

1 - 11 of 11 Posts