Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
<span>This topic has been discussed on the Chief Forum ('First 1901 Indians from Polaris')
http://www.chiefmotorcycleforum.com/general-chief-motorcycle-discussion/

There are several suggestions in that thread about what a patch could look like. I thought that it might be better to discuss the patch in a separate thread so everyone could comment on it.</span>
<span>This is the final version (maybe) for what could be a 'Original 1901' patch to show that you were one of the original owners to take the leap of faith in the new bike. It has nothing to do with the 1901 club that Chieftan1400 is promoting other than it could be worn in addition to anything the 1901 club would eventually come up with. It is 3' in diameter with the number and color of your bike in the middle.</span>
<span>Let me know what you think about the design and colors and if you would be interested in a numbered patch.</span>

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I like the idea and would definitely want one, but to be very honest I am not sure I like this patch. Since its Indian, I would like to see the warbonnet brought into the patch design better. Whats on there is so small its barely noticeable. This one looks too generic.

Sorry, just the way I feel about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
699 said:
I like the idea and would definitely want one, but to be very honest I am not sure I like this patch.  Since its Indian, I would like to see the warbonnet brought into the patch design better.  Whats on there is so small its barely noticeable.   This one looks too generic.

I tend to agree with mototwin. Plus, I would change it read 'First 1901' instead of 'Original 1901', simply because original implies a Springfield Indian, rather than a Spirit Lake....though I could be over-thinking.

The patch idea is a good one, however.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
699 said:
I like the idea and would definitely want one, but to be very honest I am not sure I like this patch. Since its Indian, I would like to see the warbonnet brought into the patch design better. Whats on there is so small its barely noticeable. This one looks too generic.

So are you saying you would rather have the Indian head and war bonnet instead of the engine. Keep in mind there's only so much you can put on a 3' patch, you have more flexibility if it's larger.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
19016 said:
I tend to agree with mototwin. Plus, I would change it read 'First 1901' instead of 'Original 1901', simply because original implies a Springfield Indian, rather than a Spirit Lake....though I could be over-thinking. The patch idea is a good one, however.
Good input, you might be right about 'First' instead of 'Original', lets let everyone weigh in on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I want one, war bonnet would be cool. I am not any good at designing anything, so what ever you come up with I'm good. #947

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I agree that 'Original should be replaced by 'First'. However the design works out, I would want one too.

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with several others. IMHO using 'First' is a better option. I like that the color of your particular bike would be used in the patch. I'm in for atleast two when they are finalized. Great idea.

Chieftain #281 Red

Just an observation, how would the four digit numbers work out? The sample shows a three digit number and look fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea....I would prefer the war bonnet as well, but keep in mind that there might be Trademark rights to using the war bonnet or any Indian designs. Better check with Polaris to be sure.

Cbrdogg

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Mike,

Thanks for your work on the 1901 patch and for pointing out that the 1901 Indian Motorcycle Riders Club (IMRC) is also working on a patch. I know your efforts will benefit the broader population of 1901 owners. I'll make sure not to infringe on your efforts, although there may be some similarities.

I've been putting a lot of effort into trying to get the 1901 IMRC off the ground, so I haven't spent a lot of time working on a patch...in fact, I haven't spent any time working on a patch. However, I do want to let members and potential member of the Club know that it's coming, so they can decide in advance whether they want 1 or 2 patches on their vests/jackets. I'm putting a contact list together right now and once that's done, one of the first things I'll do is request inputs for a Club patch.
Tonto and Cowboy from chiefmotorcycleforum.com; Thread: 'first 1091 Indians from Polaris,' both had interesting patchs which emphasized the War Bonnet, a symbol that is recognized world-wide. The Iron Indian Riders Association of Minnesota also hA a nice logo, although it is a more radical departure from the traditional Indian logo. While I am a fan of the V-Twin logo, it's something that has been used by many clubs and manufacturers and really, from my perspective, doesn't proclaim 'Indian.' As far as the 1901 Indian Motorcycle Riders Club goes, the bonnet would probably be my first choice. But, that will be for the members to decide.
(I tried to upload pics of the Bonnet logos, but can't seem to get the upload function to work)

Great Job, and we'll keep playing tab :) ....Chieftan1400 (Bill)

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I really like this idea - gives us <1901's a little exclusivity. Whatever you decide, I'm definitely in for a few. Black #700. Cbrdogg had a good suggestion re: trademark infringement. The way you've done it might make it a conversation piece - outsiders might ask questions (kinda enjoying answering questions these days). Plus, your v-twin design does have that specific element (valve covers) that sets it apart.

Good work.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Speaking of valve covers, any name for those beautiful new chrome covers yet? Harley has Knuckle heads, Pan heads, Shovel heads, don't know what they called the Evo heads, but now HD has the new 'Piss Heads'

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
What about three feathers, fanned out from a single point or attached to a headband. It could look like 111 and I don't think Indian have used it before. Club name or bike serial number on the headband, or on a scroll curved under the feathers. Copyright it quick before Indian does.

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely would go with the war bonnet and 'First' 1901. Colors should be red and gold. Make it look a little bit more exclusive.

#1017 Red Classic.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
The patch is a great ideal, I agree they should read the 'First 1901'. sign me up Red Vintage #872

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with first over original and would like to see the war bonnet with maybe the words thunder stroke 111 on the patch. If the patch needs to be bigger I wouldn't have an issue with a 4 or 5 inch patch. We all own one of the first Indians let's show it off with pride. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth (probably not even 1 cent), I'm in either way. Red Chieftain # 701

1 - 20 of 71 Posts