Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My old stomping grounds lol. I grew up in Idaho, both southern and up in the pan handle. I worked 10 yrs in Pocatello, I get over there often.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I put a set of the indian closeouts on mine the other day as it was in the 50's when I left out yesterday morning. Kept my feet and legs nice and warm, and by the time the temp got up to 72 I was ready to get em off as my calves was getting really warm lol

·
Rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I put a set of the indian closeouts on mine the other day as it was in the 50's when I left out yesterday morning. Kept my feet and legs nice and warm, and by the time the temp got up to 72 I was ready to get em off as my calves was getting really warm lol
Yes the closeouts work well, along with the big old radiator. IMO the Challenger fairing does a good job with wind protection too. I had closeouts/soft lowers on a couple of Harleys. I’d store them in hot weather. I rode in a lot of triple digit heat this summer and never felt the need to take them off.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
178 Posts
Hitting 30s/40s for lows here in South Dakota. Hoping to ride until it’s 32 in the morning but we shall see!

·
Registered
2022 Chief
30 Posts
In the same boat (and town!?) as you. We sometimes try to trailer out of WY to get some pre-season riding in, but even that is hit or miss most years. Hopefully this winter doesn't last until July...

·
Rider
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
In the same boat (and town!?) as you. We sometimes try to trailer out of WY to get some pre-season riding in, but even that is hit or miss most years. Hopefully this winter doesn't last until July...
Really, what are you riding?

·
Rider
1,185 Posts
Got 8" of heavy wet snow here in Eastern Montana 4 days ago, was like shoveling wet cement, it's almost gone, 60 degrees forecast for Sunday on my day off, will ride the Chieftain for a while, Winter storage is not far off, kept in a constant 50 degree storage facility, tough being a biker in Montana lol =)-

·
Registered
9 Posts
You Northwestern folks don't realize how lucky you have it...the best riding weather for the longest days of the year. Here in Texas, unless you enjoy heat stroke and dehydration, your bike goes in lockdown for a solid 3-4 months when you have all the daylight. Riding season is just now restarting here, albeit with much shorter days and more rain. So my apologies if I don't feel that bad for you ;)

FWIW, I was in WY for about a week this summer, and it was ridiculously hot in Yellowstone, at least during the afternoons. So, y'all experienced some of our stupid hot weather as well. Stunning scenery though!
I have been a lot of places, and I can say I would rather ride in San Antonio or Laredo with 115* heat than Houston or Atlanta at 95*. Just need some sunscreen and water.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Dark Horse
178 Posts
You Northwestern folks don't realize how lucky you have it...the best riding weather for the longest days of the year. Here in Texas, unless you enjoy heat stroke and dehydration, your bike goes in lockdown for a solid 3-4 months when you have all the daylight. Riding season is just now restarting here, albeit with much shorter days and more rain. So my apologies if I don't feel that bad for you ;)

FWIW, I was in WY for about a week this summer, and it was ridiculously hot in Yellowstone, at least during the afternoons. So, y'all experienced some of our stupid hot weather as well. Stunning scenery though!
3-4 months? Haha that’s cute. Our winters are 6-7 months, every single year believe it or not.
You can still ride in high heat. It’s just a comfort preference. I still rode in heat when I lived in SoCal and AZ. No problem. Just sweaty. You physically cannot ride in feet of snow or over black ice and with it 40 below zero wind chill factor and the sun is only up from 10am to 4pm. It can get hot and sweaty he says 😂

EDIT: oh, and our 5 month riding season is still plastered with rain, extremely high winds, and the same 100*+ heat and swarms of bugs 😂

21 - 31 of 31 Posts