Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically plastics made to looks like chrome. Whats a rider do? I have a beautiful (and expensive) machine and sub-par materials in some areas, like around the power buttons. Is there a fix for this besides replacement? I once heard of SoftScrub being used but is that an urban legend?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ya I think replacing them is your best bet. Could try some chrome spray paint, but I may not turn out well.

Screenshot_20200804-141633_Chrome.jpg

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
If your bike is an earlier one they will replace the power button for you. It was a known issue on the early ones...

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Registered
60 Posts
I replaced my button and it wasn't that expensive, it was a little work though to install it. the chrome peeled. That's been a issue for a longtime

·
Registered
80 Posts
View attachment 600283 Specifically plastics made to looks like chrome. Whats a rider do? I have a beautiful (and expensive) machine and sub-par materials in some areas, like around the power buttons. Is there a fix for this besides replacement? I once heard of SoftScrub being used but is that an urban legend?
I don’t think there is a repair option. Im pretty sure it is chrome plated plastic. I have had damaged items like that and just bought new. If you find something be sure to let us know!

·
Bronze member
2,049 Posts
If your bike is an earlier one they will replace the power button for you. It was a known issue on the early ones...
I have replaced both my power and driving light switches due to the plating flaking off of the chrome ring. I was barely out of warranty and was denied warranty coverage by Indian. I thought it was a chicken shit move for an obvious defect.
I scuffed both of the switches I removed and painted them with a textured matte black finish. They are waiting in my tool box for the replacements to start flaking.
I thought of this when I saw the plastic control housings on my wife’s new Chieftain.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The subject , Plastics, brought me back to one of my favorite movies, the Graduate.
Me too. Some years ago my wife and I went to see the stage production. When he got to that line I said it aloud just before he did - and annoyed everyone sitting around me. Maybe they all wanted to be the one to get to it first. :)

·
Rider
944 Posts
If you are going to send them for refinishing, may be think about powder coating them to match the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts