Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dreaded numb throttle hand.
Want to upgrade my grips and I use Revzilla for a lot of my needs. But it seems every damn grip that looks like it would ease my woes does not fit a 2020 scout bobber 60

is this right?

what are you using on your scout sixty or bobber sixty (is the fitment the same?)

pic for tax dream bike

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
When I’m riding distance on my scout, I will usually lean over my grip with my wrist and let my hand relax. Until I got my Roadmaster in February I’d never known the joy of electronic cruise control on a motorcycle.

Reactions: Next2Normal

·
Bronze member
1,213 Posts
Dreaded numb throttle hand.
Want to upgrade my grips and I use Revzilla for a lot of my needs. But it seems every damn grip that looks like it would ease my woes does not fit a 2020 scout bobber 60

is this right?

what are you using on your scout sixty or bobber sixty (is the fitment the same?)

pic for toll, dream bike
View attachment 602925
I would say, before you spend anything, watch some YouTube videos on hand position.

There’s one in particular, that explains how to avoid this numbness. To summarize, you have to be careful to never lean on the bars, the bars are for steering inputs, and never body support. Especially when stopping, when it is most likely to happen.

I found out this was a bad habit of mine, though it didn’t get as painful as other people I know. Make sure that you are using your legs and core to push into the pegs, when you are stopping.

If that doesn’t work, there are a few things you can try.

One is to simply wrap your grips with some tennis grip tape. It’s super cheap and very effective. As for aftermarket grips, Avon makes some very good ones that have a built-in throttle tube.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Google grab on foam grip covers. It's old school but they work. Spray the inside of them with hairspray then slide them on before it sets. Grab on has different sizes and lengths. Less than $10

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,167 Posts
I just put on some grip puppies foam grips. They have two sizes, the regular will work for a scout, the big paw works for the bigger Indians.

I had aftermarket grips on my scout, and didn't have an issue, but with my roadmaster I found my hands would get numb on a ride of more than 20 minutes from the vibration. In the week I've had the grip puppies, I've ridden everyday, and haven't gotten numb hands once.

They're only about 20 bucks, and they work with the heated grips. Worth trying to see if they work for you.

·
Registered
452 Posts
AVON Memory Foam Grips. Put them on and haven’t looked back.

I ride bumpy Mississippi roads often. I ride Freeways , backroads, and everything in between.

I say I have never had my hand hand/ fingers numb with these .

I’m also looking at the Springfield as my bike as my next bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say, before you spend anything, watch some YouTube videos on hand position.

There’s one in particular, that explains how to avoid this numbness. To summarize, you have to be careful to never lean on the bars, the bars are for steering inputs, and never body support. Especially when stopping, when it is most likely to happen.

I found out this was a bad habit of mine, though it didn’t get as painful as other people I know. Make sure that you are using your legs and core to push into the pegs, when you are stopping.

If that doesn’t work, there are a few things you can try.

One is to simply wrap your grips with some tennis grip tape. It’s super cheap and very effective. As for aftermarket grips, Avon makes some very good ones that have a built-in throttle tube.
Beautiful!!! Thank you for this!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
As others have mentioned take a look at Avon grips

I'd also recommend looking for ones with 'throttle assist' as this allows you to relax grip on bars and hold throttle position using the heel of the hand-Means you can completely stretch out fingers every so often.
Only negative I've found is if you wear gloves with hard scaphoid protectors- they don't play nicely together

Had a set of air cushion cw assist on my sixty for 3 years/20k miles now. Looks v. similar to your 'dream' setup.

Other plus points:- come with throttle tube already installed (select scout tube) so is a quick easy swap).
Clutch side grip is held on with 3 grub screws- so no 'faffing' with glue if you should decide to change in future

·
Registered
60 Posts
AVON Memory Foam Grips. Put them on and haven’t looked back.

I ride bumpy Mississippi roads often. I ride Freeways , backroads, and everything in between.

I say I have never had my hand hand/ fingers numb with these .

I’m also looking at the Springfield as my bike as my next bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same for me. Avon memory foam grips are great.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,036 Posts
Having never had heated grips before, let me ask what may seem like a stupid question, can these Avons be heated using existing stock stuff that heats the factory grips. I've never had them off (Stock grips) before.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,167 Posts
The heating element is in the grips themselves... change the grips, and the heater goes with it....

·
Registered
2018 Chieftain Limited. Hold my beer! I saw this in a cartoon....n
163 Posts
Toughen up woman, first it was saddle bags on a bobber now numb fingers. Next it'll be my grips dont match my nail polish or I need a footshifter that works with stilettos.....

I'm only playing with you, I use Avon grips on my 60. Try JPCycles instead of Revzilla.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts