Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time is almost here.

A few years ago, my father-in-law posed an idea of riding out to his hometown north of Seattle. I rather really agreed and we immediately started planning it for Summer 2018.

After he unexpectedly passed last September, I told his father I still intend to make the trip. I moved it a little to the left to accommodate my class schedule and in return, his brother's MC in the Seattle area is moving the annual memorial ride they now do to accommodate my timeline.

Now I'm really looking forward to it. I'm looking at about 3 weeks and 6,300 miles. After Seattle, I will ride to Las Vegas to visit a childhood friend of mine and maybe dip down to Tucson for a bike service. I know those folks already so it may be worth the extra mile.

I have a friend in Kansas I will overnight with and another in Denver and I have my tent and bedroll for the stretch to Seattle and then Vegas.

I've driven the country enough to not need a map and a sizeable portion of that on my bike but this is a record trip for me on the bike and I'm on a budget tight enough to ponder washing dishes for gas.

My point for telling y'all this, well, I don't have one but I am open for tips & tricks.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The time is almost here.

A few years ago, my father-in-law posed an idea of riding out to his hometown north of Seattle. I rather really agreed and we immediately started planning it for Summer 2018.

After he unexpectedly passed last September, I told his father I still intend to make the trip. I moved it a little to the left to accommodate my class schedule and in return, his brother's MC in the Seattle area is moving the annual memorial ride they now do to accommodate my timeline.

Now I'm really looking forward to it. I'm looking at about 3 weeks and 6,300 miles. After Seattle, I will ride to Las Vegas to visit a childhood friend of mine and maybe dip down to Tucson for a bike service. I know those folks already so it may be worth the extra mile.

I have a friend in Kansas I will overnight with and another in Denver and I have my tent and bedroll for the stretch to Seattle and then Vegas.

I've driven the country enough to not need a map and a sizeable portion of that on my bike but this is a record trip for me on the bike and I'm on a budget tight enough to ponder washing dishes for gas.

My point for telling y'all this, well, I don't have one but I am open for tips & tricks.
I don't really have any tips or tricks per say, but just wanted to wish you well. That's sad about your dad-in-law but I'm sure he would approve and would want you to have the time of your life - which I'm sure you will.

Guaranteed you'll remember the trip for the rest of your life. I'm retiring this year and planning a good long trip myself. Have fun!

·
Registered
399 Posts
sounds nice!! tip...stay hydrated, and do not overdo it. when you stop for gas, walk around a little bit.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I wish you well. Safe travels.

Reactions: Wovoka

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't really have any tips or tricks per say, but just wanted to wish you well. That's sad about your dad-in-law but I'm sure he would approve and would want you to have the time of your life - which I'm sure you will.

Guaranteed you'll remember the trip for the rest of your life. I'm retiring this year and planning a good long trip myself. Have fun!
I can't wait. I've been just about everywhere already both in a big truck and in my '72 GMC. I know just enough about the country to know riding it will be quite different.

The one thing I haven't done much of is roadside camping. I've slept next to the bike in service plazas on the NY Thruway and in NH and I had no issues. I am curious of what I should prepare for, if anything.

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s nice you are doing it without your FIL, A very nice tribute. Ride safe.
Thank you. We were closer than I've ever seen any man with their wife's father. We were also best friends to the point my wife never asked where I was because I was normally with her dad. I didn't hesitate to tell his dad I was still coming.

He liked to be fully prepared and my idea of preparing for a ride is ass in seat, hit throttle. I'll meet him in the middle. His brother's MC is waiting for me to ride in their annual ride in his honor and his dad took time off for me to come. My wife's mother is scared to death and would rather I trailer my bike but I just can't. That's not how we rode. I've only done that when the Army gave me too big of a packing list, then the bike followed me in my truck. I'll have to take some pictures for my wife and girls, something else I'm not good about.

He's been well memorialized for his long army career but I think this ride will show a bit of him as a son, husband, father, grandfather and just another man who put his pants on one leg at a time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think it's great you are making this a tribute to your father in law. I see in another post your headed to Sedro-Woolley. If you have the opportunity I highly recommend you take Hwy 20 (North Cascades Highway) across Washington. There is not a more beautiful road in the country. Also, hop on the ferry and ride around San Juan Island for an afternoon. As long as I'm suggesting roads, I'll also suggest getting through Idaho on Hwy 93 from near Pocatello to Missoula. Enjoy the ride!

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's great you are making this a tribute to your father in law. I see in another post your headed to Sedro-Woolley. If you have the opportunity I highly recommend you take Hwy 20 (North Cascades Highway) across Washington. There is not a more beautiful road in the country. Also, hop on the ferry and ride around San Juan Island for an afternoon. As long as I'm suggesting roads, I'll also suggest getting through Idaho on Hwy 93 from near Pocatello to Missoula. Enjoy the ride!
93 into Missoula is a brilliant idea. When I drive a big truck, I used to enjoy going through Coeur d'Lane and I'll do that going that way. As it were, I planned to take 30 through Kammerer into Pocatello. That could work well. I'd really like to take 20 across WA because I haven't been on that road but I may be crunched for time once I get there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When are you planing on going through Coeur d'Lane ID? I live just south of there, maybe me and a couple buddies could put some miles on with you.

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When are you planing on going through Coeur d'Lane ID? I live just south of there, maybe me and a couple buddies could put some miles on with you.
I need to be in Sedro-Woolley, north of Seattle in the afternoon of 27 July so I may overnight in that area the night prior and take off after an early breakfast. I would like that.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well that sucks, we are going to be up in Canada for the Canadian IMRG that week, but maybe if you could get here a day earlier you could head north with us

·
Registered
450 Posts
93 into Missoula is a brilliant idea. When I drive a big truck, I used to enjoy going through Coeur d'Lane and I'll do that going that way. As it were, I planned to take 30 through Kammerer into Pocatello. That could work well. I'd really like to take 20 across WA because I haven't been on that road but I may be crunched for time once I get there.
To quicken up the drive across WA and still do the North Cascade Highway, take Hwy 2 out of Spokane to Wilbur and follow the signs to Grand Coulee Dam (worth seeing anyway). At the dam head for Twisp/Winthrop, which is the start of the NCH. Wish I were going with you, I love riding my old stomping grounds.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The route that iflypigs mentioned would be great. We did that a few years ago, spent the night in Twisp, then a nice ride over the North Cascade Highway into Sedro-Woolley

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To quicken up the drive across WA and still do the North Cascade Highway, take Hwy 2 out of Spokane to Wilbur and follow the signs to Grand Coulee Dam (worth seeing anyway). At the dam head for Twisp/Winthrop, which is the start of the NCH. Wish I were going with you, I love riding my old stomping grounds.
I just took a look at that on the map. I like where you're going with this.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In 1981 I took US 2 out of Seattle on a BSA 650. Got to Waterville, WA and it rained so hard my boots filled up with water. Serendipity I suppose.

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In 1981 I took US 2 out of Seattle on a BSA 650. Got to Waterville, WA and it rained so hard my boots filled up with water. Serendipity I suppose.
I bought that hat in upstate NY last summer. I'm sure my bike is still drying out.

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A full day of washing with a toothbrush and likewise thorough inspection, I am a week away from riding. The morning prior I will let my mechanic have a looksee to ensure I didn't miss anything. Once I'm done with summer finals, I'm riding!

P_20180714_172934.jpg
P_20180714_172916.jpg
P_20180714_172855.jpg
P_20180714_172826.jpg

·
Administrator
15,456 Posts
Love that memorial inscription on the front fender — very classy.

And I absolutely concur with @iflypigs. Hwy 20 across the Cascades is gorgeous.

Have a great ride!

·
Bronze member
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Love that memorial inscription on the front fender — very classy.

And I absolutely concur with @iflypigs. Hwy 20 across the Cascades is gorgeous.

Have a great ride!
I really like that idea as well. Getting onto some roads I never got to run when I was playing Billy Big Rigger is one thing I'm particularly looking forward to.

Thank you for the compliment on my inscription, I wanted something simple and to the point. I'm happy with how it came out.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts