Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #21
馃槒 I鈥檓 up for the discussion
Well !
You'll fit on a Scout quite well. And a Scout will do what you say you are happy being limited to. SOOOO: No grocery runs- ever, no two up riding - ever, no (or very little) luggage/stowage capability - ever, no longer distance riding - ever.. Just whatever you can strap on your back while sticking to well maintained roads... OOOOKAY....

You'll also fit quite nicely on a Chief. It affords no limits to any usage - just bolt on the accessories you need, up to an including a Tour pack + hard bags, for whatever "change in riding" you evolve into...

Every "small' bike I've ever bought has. sooner or later, become too limiting.. For instance: Wanna buy my '16 Scout ?

Registered
What would be considered low mileage? I鈥檝e seen bikes all over the spectrum. Some as high as 20ish thousand, so I just want a barometer on what would be deemed low mileage.....
First thing to learn is that for an Indian 20,000 miles is NOT high mileage, Heck it's not even broken in yet.

Registered
I think the only complaint I've heard about the Scout is the size of the gas tank - and lack of a gas gauge. However, they rev much higher than the 111, and really move! Very easy to handle and FUN.

Registered
I'm a new(ish) rider but have about 4 years under my belt. I started out on a Yamaha SCR950 (the scrambler version of the Bolt, which is a cruiser). I started on it because it was cheap with a highly dependable engine and gear box, and was up for taking a beating from someone who was going to drop it, red line it, and mod the hell out of it. After I got all that out of my system I wanted something which was more comfortable for longer rides, had a better suspension, and was able to better accommodate a passenger: The Scout hit all the marks for me, so I had no qualms about paying the $17k after-tax price (minus a few freebies from the dealer). I ride every chance I can, for as long as I can, and it was totally worth it.

For a first time rider, I would highly recommend that you do NOT buy a Scout as your first bike: Especially if you only plan on cruising around town. Go to Craigslist, buy an old Honda or Harley for about a grand that you can beat the piss out of for a year or two, and THEN get a Scout. You'll save money and heartache in the long run on any "oops" repairs, and trust me on this, you'll feel waaaaay less guilty when you dent/scratch/bend something on a hand-me-down. Get it out of your system and then get your upgrade. (y)

Of course, this is just my opinion. You do you! :cool:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #27
I truly appreciate the comment, and that is noted as well. Maybe I could do both, buy a beater, and a Scout. You never know, but I appreciate this perspective as well, because I knew it was going to come at some point, and it鈥檚 very valid as well, so I understand what you鈥檙e saying.

Registered
I bought a 鈥渂eater鈥 Vulcan 500 after my MSF course. Looking back, it was kinda of a waste. Moved on to a Scout in just a few months anyway.

Registered
Welcome from Texas

FWIW, my first was a used scout 60 with 2,500 miles - I purchased after market highway bars and spent months getting proficient on it. The bars saved plenty of more expensive repairs when I would forget to set the side-stand fully, wipe out on a slick round-about, and other bone-head moves, After 6 months if you love it, keep it and dont worry about having to sell the "beater". If you find you like riding 100 miles to a diner / lake / national park that includes some highway time, you might move up to a larger bagger.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #30
I bought a 鈥渂eater鈥 Vulcan 500 after my MSF course. Looking back, it was kinda of a waste. Moved on to a Scout in just a few months anyway.
I am weighing the option, just don鈥檛 want to pass up a good deal on what I want, strictly to wait and miss out. There are a mind boggling amount of dirt cheap sportsters out there, and I am cognizant of that, but I know the Indian tugs at my heart strings, but I won鈥檛 take it for granted even if I get one and roll with that. It鈥檇 be with all the extras in the event it gets dropped etc. I鈥檓 just set on what I want.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #31
Welcome from Texas

FWIW, my first was a used scout 60 with 2,500 miles - I purchased after market highway bars and spent months getting proficient on it. The bars saved plenty of more expensive repairs when I would forget to set the side-stand fully, wipe out on a slick round-about, and other bone-head moves, After 6 months if you love it, keep it and dont worry about having to sell the "beater". If you find you like riding 100 miles to a diner / lake / national park that includes some highway time, you might move up to a larger bagger.
Wouldn鈥檛 have any qualms about sending the hand-me-down on its way. Highway bars are gonna be on the list certainly. There鈥榮 a lakeside diner that I鈥檇 love to ride to, and it鈥檚 on my list to do also. You sparked the idea.

Registered
Welcome!!! Im a new rider also that took the HD riding academy and bought my first bike back in May. I was considering a few other bikes before I pulled the trigger on a Scout 60 Bobber. ff

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #33
Welcome!!! Im a new rider also that took the HD riding academy and bought my first bike back in May. I was considering a few other bikes before I pulled the trigger on a Scout 60 Bobber. ff
Thank for the warm welcome. Hope you are enjoying it, as I hope to be when the time comes. Inbox a pic of that beauty. You are all giving me more confidence, so it is all very much appreciated.

Registered
Welcome from SE PA. Lots of good discussion here. Definitely one thing I wish I had the opportunity to do when I first started riding, was to do a course. I finally did one after I got my endorsement so I could ride on a military installation, and really learned a lot on handling and low speed turning maneuvers. A course is probably the best thing you could do if you are starting at zero experience.

Your first bike could be something used similar to what you want with the Scout. As mentioned before about any drops, dings, etc. May not feel so bad since you're learning. But if you are set on a Scout and want it to be your first, then go for it. Typically if it isn't an advance or intermediate course, beginner rider course should provide smaller bikes that everyone learns on. So you can learn what not to do to cause any tips, spills or slips etc. and become proficient with your Scout. Let us know!

Reactions: SwagBear43

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #35
Welcome from SE PA. Lots of good discussion here. Definitely one thing I wish I had the opportunity to do when I first started riding, was to do a course. I finally did one after I got my endorsement so I could ride on a military installation, and really learned a lot on handling and low speed turning maneuvers. A course is probably the best thing you could do if you are starting at zero experience.

Your first bike could be something used similar to what you want with the Scout. As mentioned before about any drops, dings, etc. May not feel so bad since you're learning. But if you are set on a Scout and want it to be your first, then go for it. Typically if it isn't an advance or intermediate course, beginner rider course should provide smaller bikes that everyone learns on. So you can learn what not to do to cause any tips, spills or slips etc. and become proficient with your Scout. Let us know!
I appreciate the warm welcome, I鈥檓 a USAF vet so I will take advantage of the free MSF courses to help me learn. I will certainly keep you all updated on my endeavor. How did you enjoy the course, and how鈥檇 you like riding on the installation? Loving the avi too, I鈥檓 looking into getting a Kraken jersey.

Registered
PNW is home for me. It's been a long time since I had the course back in WA. It was a MSF or approved course so I got the MSF card to ride on post. And if you didn't know, maybe you can benefit from this: Honoring Our Military & Veterans| Indian Motorcycle Indian offers credit for military and first responders. Scroll down near the bottom and check it out if you didn't already know.

The course was put on by the state at the time (WA) and it was an intermediate course where at that time I had my first bike, my 1996 Suzuki Intruder 800cc. I learned a lot and liked the course. Things I still do today for turning and low speed maneuvers. I rode on JBLM, and actually rode past their rider's course across from the fire department by the dispatch center. One morning, (this is after I got my second bike my 2005 Honda VTX Retro 1300cc) the course was empty so I thought I'd go practice. Well the old Honda was carbureted and very cold blooded. I went in for a low speed u-turn and got a little too much clutch and not enough gas and it just died on me in full turn. Stopped instantly by the compression on the rear wheel and it just tipped left haha. Didn't topple on me fortunately. It all felt like slow motion when it happened. Just leaned left. The highway bars and pegs, and saddle bags just held it and the bike just leaned on them. I fell off to the left and it wasn't too hard a hit since it went slow lol but I don't know if anyone ever saw it haha! Hopped back on, did a few more u-turns then went home since I worked nights at the time. I knocked that one over one other time it toppled on me reaching over it on slanted ground. And two other times it tipped I'm still not sure how sitting still, but it did lol.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts