Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, but have been interested in buying an Indian Scout or Scout 60 for my first bike. Indiana living, and I am eager to ride, and learn constantly. You all have some amazing and breathtaking bikes, and I know that I am in the presence of some great owners, and people who will point me in the right direction.

·
Bronze member
1,831 Posts
Welcome from SoCal. The Scout is a very popular bike, should be a good 1st choice. I'd recommend getting a nice used low mileage bike if possible.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be considered low mileage? I’ve seen bikes all over the spectrum. Some as high as 20ish thousand, so I just want a barometer on what would be deemed low mileage.....

·
Belgian rider
412 Posts
Welcome to the Indian World. Buying an Indian Scout is a awesome idea to start with . Go for it and ride safe ! Every morning I start my day with this mug and after I had my coffee I feel the need for a ride.
Greetings from the Belgium Tribe. Ugh
Indian mug.jpg

·
Rider
577 Posts
What would be considered low mileage? I’ve seen bikes all over the spectrum. Some as high as 20ish thousand, so I just want a barometer on what would be deemed low mileage.....
Welcome come on in and set a spell. Low mileage would be dependant on the year. 2019 with 10,000 would not be low millage but 2014 with 10,000 would be low millage.

Test ride new bikes and see what fits you and your style of riding buying something too small means only that you'll be buying something again in the near future. Buy what you want that fits you and your style and take it slow at first.

If you have not owned or ridden before might I suggest taking an MSF course. This can be of great value even if you have been riding for some time.

·
Bronze member
1,831 Posts
Different with every rider, wallet and location, but to me it would be under 10K miles (<6 would be ideal) and maybe the big Scout (not 60) around $8-9K

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the Indian World. Buying an Indian Scout is a awesome idea to start with . Go for it and ride safe ! Every morning I start my day with this mug and after I had my coffee I feel the need for a ride.
Greetings from the Belgium Tribe. Ugh

That is a gorgeous mug! Satisfy that urge for a ride and you will be accomplished every time that you do!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome come on in and set a spell. Low mileage would be dependant on the year. 2019 with 10,000 would not be low millage but 2014 with 10,000 would be low millage.

Test ride new bikes and see what fits you and your style of riding buying something too small means only that you'll be buying something again in the near future. Buy what you want that fits you and your style and take it slow at first.
Sage advice, I will certainly take it to heart. I hope to get in one before it gets cold, but even then I was told that prices tend to drop when it cools off....

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Different with every rider, wallet and location, but to me it would be under 10K miles (<6 would be ideal) and maybe the big Scout (not 60) around $8-9K
I figured as much, but I am glad that you confirmed it. I know some questions that seem normal in my head, come across as vague to experienced riders, but I am glad you gave me a thorough answer. Helps me a great deal.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome to the forum you will meet lots of good people and I assume people in your part of the country.
If this is your first bike I suggest
1 - a small bike like a Scout
2 -, make sure you fit the bike and not too big
3 - do a riding course ( I assume this is MSF)
4 - Do not spend all your coin will want some to customise or modify to needs etc
5 - Don't smile too much while riding your teeth will fill with bugs

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate it Hairy, love all the suggestions, and I am certainly going to do all of those things, except number 5, because bug mouth would be repulsive, haha. Looking forward to officially joining the Tribe, when the time is right. I am certainly searching far and wide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome! I’m new here as well. I was going to purchase an Indian Chief but due to some unforeseen circumstances I ended up buying a Scout Sixty with super low miles 2016 with 1K. Why? Well, I rode a Chief Vintage, I loved it but I asked myself “will I really ride long hauls?” Probably not. I also rode the 2020 Scout Tweny and felt that it’s not worth the extra 10k to have the extra little more horsies...I would definitely steer you to the Sixty it’s powerful enough to keep up with the big dogs and easy on the wallet.

·
Bronze member
2,322 Posts
WHOA... Stop the presses !
How tall are you ? How heavy are you ? Is there a co-pilot, now or in the future, or ever ?

Most Importantly, answer this question carefully:
What type of riding do you want to be LIMITED TO ?

HInts: Limited to a 40 mile radius around your house solo only. Limited to a 40 mile radius two-up. I want no limits what-so-ever, on my riding.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome! I’m new here as well. I was going to purchase an Indian Chief but due to some unforeseen circumstances I ended up buying a Scout Sixty with super low miles 2016 with 1K. Why? Well, I rode a Chief Vintage, I loved it but I asked myself “will I really ride long hauls?” Probably not. I also rode the 2020 Scout Tweny and felt that it’s not worth the extra 10k to have the extra little more horsies...I would definitely steer you to the Sixty it’s powerful enough to keep up with the big dogs and easy on the wallet.
I appreciate the input, and welcome as well! I may have to bide my time for a Sixty, checking the recent classified listings, but something may come up and work in my favor.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WHOA... Stop the presses !
How tall are you ? How heavy are you ? Is there a co-pilot, now or in the future, or ever ?

Most Importantly, answer this question carefully:
What type of riding do you want to be LIMITED TO ?

HInts: Limited to a 40 mile radius around your house solo only. Limited to a 40 mile radius two-up. I want no limits what-so-ever, on my riding.
5’7 230, no co-pilot, and just gonna be me riding on it. Just around town, and maybe to work, so a 40 mile radius. Don’t mind being limited in this instance, will just be happy to be able to ride.

·
Bronze member
2,322 Posts
5’7 230, no co-pilot, and just gonna be me riding on it. Just around town, and maybe to work, so a 40 mile radius. Don’t mind being limited in this instance, will just be happy to be able to ride.
Well !
You'll fit on a Scout quite well. And a Scout will do what you say you are happy being limited to. SOOOO: No grocery runs- ever, no two up riding - ever, no (or very little) luggage/stowage capability - ever, no longer distance riding - ever.. Just whatever you can strap on your back while sticking to well maintained roads... OOOOKAY....

You'll also fit quite nicely on a Chief. It affords no limits to any usage - just bolt on the accessories you need, up to an including a Tour pack + hard bags, for whatever "change in riding" you evolve into...

Every "small' bike I've ever bought has. sooner or later, become too limiting.. For instance: Wanna buy my '16 Scout ?

Reactions: Kost
1 - 20 of 37 Posts