Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 16 Scout that was a fun bike, but too small for passengers and packing. So it was traded in for a 17 Springfield. I absolutely love that bike and do not see myself ever parting with it. Anyways....
Was looking in to purchasing a new Vintage until I saw and rode the Challenger. Seems like if I buy a Vintage, it would be like dating the same woman. But with a different dress.
On the other hand. The Challenger is a different animal all together! I'm in my early 50s and have been riding all sorts of bikes for over 30 years now so I'm not new to the life, but I've never owned a bike with so much electronics. Navigation, Bluetooth, etc..
Considering some of the electrical issues I've read about. Think waiting for a 2021 is the best choice?
Just a little concerned the price may jump for next year. Considering the Challenger seems to be a big hit for Polaris.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,230 Posts
I've had mine since March and haven't run into any of the issues that others have had. There were a couple of ride command glitches but those seemed to have been fixed by the latest update. It's a dice roll when it comes to waiting. I thought long and hard about it and I decided I rather have the bike and deal with the potential issues. Someone has to be first so I thought I'd join that group. I'm very very happy with the decision I made. I would have missed out on some of the best rides I've taken if I wouldn't have had this bike.

In the end it's your decision and you can only gather data and try to make the right one for you. For me, I made the right decision.

·
Rider
844 Posts
If you are on a forum where everyone comes to complain and vent their v-twin envy, you might get a distorted picture of the Challenger. The initial problems with the bike have been addressed and the number of satisfied riders must be large considering nobody posts a thread like " Everything is Working Fine on My Bike,"
It is noteworthy that some users seem to be having the majority of the issues and are the most dissatisfied.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,092 Posts
One has to consider this is a first year model and there were and possibly still are some bugs to be worked out. This is pretty typical for any mass produced motor vehicle of any kind. I would say by now most of these issues are either fixed or are in the process judging by the forum feedback lately.

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
I would go Challenger in your shoes. You have a TS111. Now you can have a completely different power train on the Challenger and enjoy the difference in the two rides.

My only complaint with the Challenger is that if you upgrade to the high flow air filter that shows on the outside of the engine then it is on the right side. Indian's should always have the fuel source on the left side in my humble opinion...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep. That's kinda what I was thinking. Keep the Springfield cause my wife and I love it for trips. I have my Shovelhead Chopper that I built for bar hopping and get togethers with the guys, but I do seem drawn to the Challenger.
I'll be clearing a spot for it soon.
My only worry was buying a new model year. Probably wait til the 2021 models are out. Just to give the company a little more time to work new model bugs out.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Considering they will start production of them soon there is no harm in waiting. I doubt there will be any changes, the recall issues and throttle body sync have already been addressed, and the small issues will still be there, they haven't fixed the ride command yet, it wont be any different on 2021.

·
Registered
2008 Victory Vision 2016 Victory Vision 2020 Indian Challenger
800 Posts
In 2013 I had one of the first Indians ordered and delivered. In 2015 I traded that Vintage on a RM. A month ago I traded the RM in on a Challenger. Do it.
20200707_181005.jpg

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've owned a 16 Scout that was a fun bike, but too small for passengers and packing. So it was traded in for a 17 Springfield. I absolutely love that bike and do not see myself ever parting with it. Anyways....
Was looking in to purchasing a new Vintage until I saw and rode the Challenger. Seems like if I buy a Vintage, it would be like dating the same woman. But with a different dress.
On the other hand. The Challenger is a different animal all together! I'm in my early 50s and have been riding all sorts of bikes for over 30 years now so I'm not new to the life, but I've never owned a bike with so much electronics. Navigation, Bluetooth, etc..
Considering some of the electrical issues I've read about. Think waiting for a 2021 is the best choice?
Just a little concerned the price may jump for next year. Considering the Challenger seems to be a big hit for Polaris.
No electric issues here ..1 month old. Running fine..40 mpg..+

·
Silver member
5,027 Posts
I would wait and see what the 2021 have for color selection. I understand the immediate issues on the Challenger have been worked out, but we still don't have any 100K Challengers, long term exposure evidence, or things like brake longevity, tire wear, suspension wear, etc. to judge.

But if I was in the market buy a new Indian. I would 100% go Challenger or something with that engine. Why have two bikes with the same war pony. It make no sense to me. The engine is the heart and soul of any bike. So having two different rides to me is bonus, bonus, bonus, bonus, and bonus...:cool:

Reactions: hsierra59

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would wait and see what the 2021 have for color selection. I understand the immediate issues on the Challenger have been worked out, but we still don't have any 100K Challengers, long term exposure evidence, or things like brake longevity, tire wear, suspension wear, etc. to judge.

But if I was in the market buy a new Indian. I would 100% go Challenger or something with that engine. Why have two bikes with the same war pony. It make no sense to me. The engine is the heart and soul of any bike. So having two different rides to me is bonus, bonus, bonus, bonus, and bonus...:cool:
True. The base model color is fine with me though. "I've got a Dodge Challenger in gray"
My only real issue was the first model year bugs that plaque every manufacturer. Usually wait until a new model has been out for a year or two, but that Challenger is such a nice bike. I'm tempted to break away from my norm.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I got mine on the 2nd of May very happy with it. Cat delet,e RInehart pipes and Air box with flash done Zoom zoom zoom. What you waiting for Ray? :cool:

Reactions: Ray Myers

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since I've already got two bikes to ride. I'm not in a big hurry. Probably going to wait until winter to see if I can get some accessories thrown in. I know Indian doesn't really budge on the price of a bike, but the dealer might have some incentives to offer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts