Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Indian Scout Bobber (ABS)
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I changed my bars to beach bars, changed the seat to a Mother Roads with gel. Damn the ride is harsh and call me old but my back still hurts. I am 6' tall 170 lbs. but keep thinking my feet may like having the pedals and controls closer. Besides that the new shocks are on their way Progressive 970's but I will have to adjust the preload etc. in the meanwhile because if I keep riding the few miles a day I am doing I will need a chiropractor and a massage therapist pronto. haha

·
Registered
662 Posts
That is exactly the reason why I bought back then a Scout (60) rather than the much cooler looking Bobber! I did test ride both and it was a very simple decision: I could NOT stand the seating position and as my screen name says, I’d like to enjoy the little time i have on the bikes 😎👍

Reactions: Masta Kink

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is exactly the reason why I bought back then a Scout (60) rather than the much cooler looking Bobber! I did test ride both and it was a very simple decision: I could NOT stand the seating position and as my screen name says, I’d like to enjoy the little time i have on the bikes 😎👍
I am sure the ride is better as I tried the HD 883 and the Street Bob. The higher bars help a lot. I think I am going to look into a way to offset the bars a bit and possibly reposition the foot controls etc. The suspension is an easy fix as I already ordered the set. This issue is that Indian combined the speedometer into the neck. I am not sure if I can raise the bars under the triple tree right from the stem. Because a nice thick spacer plate would work plus a little adjustment back towards rider position would do wonders.

·
Rider
1,369 Posts
I am sure the ride is better as I tried the HD 883 and the Street Bob. The higher bars help a lot. I think I am going to look into a way to offset the bars a bit and possibly reposition the foot controls etc. The suspension is an easy fix as I already ordered the set. This issue is that Indian combined the speedometer into the neck. I am not sure if I can raise the bars under the triple tree right from the stem. Because a nice thick spacer plate would work plus a little adjustment back towards rider position would do wonders.
Someone posted pictures of a riser they installed on one of the Scouts. But you will have to track it down, since I don't recall which forum thread

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2021 Indian Challenger Limited Deepwater Metalic
5,961 Posts
I'm probably old as well but about 5 minutes into my ride on a Scout Bobber convinced me that I don't want something that is so uncomfortable. You can change some things but if it doesn't feel good on the test ride it's probably not the bike for you.

I loved my Super Chief but I had to keep an eye out for potholes to keep from having my spine fused when I hit one.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Bobber Sixty
320 Posts
So far I changed my bars to beach bars, changed the seat to a Mother Roads with gel. Damn the ride is harsh and call me old but my back still hurts. I am 6' tall 170 lbs. but keep thinking my feet may like having the pedals and controls closer. Besides that the new shocks are on their way Progressive 970's but I will have to adjust the preload etc. in the meanwhile because if I keep riding the few miles a day I am doing I will need a chiropractor and a massage therapist pronto. haha
Beware the mid controls, it’s a much higher perch as well, maybe consider floorboards?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I moved the beach bars up and back with a special riser someone recommended and that helped a little but need to fine tune. I will attack the suspension pretravel today with the tips others recommended as well.

·
Rider
945 Posts
Roll the bars down so your forearms are level and you aren't "reaching". Also, my OEM Scout seat was junk... had it rebuilt by Russell Day-Long and its awesome now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Issue is with bar end mirrors down is keeping them adjusted so you can see them and so they do not hit the tank. I already had a dent day one before I even put one mile on her due to dealer not having them adjusted properly/. After I installed the beach bars they can have the same issue if adjusted incorrectly. The shocks need at the very least an adjustment and the seat was replaced already with a Mother Roads Tractor seat with the gel. Being I used buffalo leather after all being it is an "Indian" haha it happens to be very thick and a harder leather. I am cool once my Progressive 970's come but will have to adjust these to be bearable in the interim. I think the handlebars are better now since raising and pulling in a touch. Once she is all done I will post pictures!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The Bobber is brutal. 2" suspension.

Have you tried a seat with lower back support?!?

I have a normal Scout and a Mustang seat. The lower back support is miraculous for me. I feel great when I ride and no more back strain.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No just the MRC seat. I sat on the original but never ridden on it. Mother Roads is pretty but not much better in terms of comfort. But OMG I love my seat anyhow. I would say one of the best looking tractor seats made hands down! I am also biased though. I guess there has to be a balance of getting the look vs having the comfort.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
No just the MRC seat. I sat on the original but never ridden on it. Mother Roads is pretty but not much better in terms of comfort. But OMG I love my seat anyhow. I would say one of the best looking tractor seats made hands down! I am also biased though. I guess there has to be a balance of getting the look vs having the comfort.
Mother roads makes a nice seat....for 30 year olds, lol.
Im in good shape, but a lifetime of work has worn out some parts.
Being hunched forward and taking hits from the suspension is a recipe for disaster.

I bought an FTR and with the taller bars, and sitting up straight, also no strain on my low back.

The new suspension will help....but 2" of travel is 2" of travel...

Best of luck my friend!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mother roads makes a nice seat....for 30 year olds, lol.
Im in good shape, but a lifetime of work has worn out some parts.
Being hunched forward and taking hits from the suspension is a recipe for disaster.

I bought an FTR and with the taller bars, and sitting up straight, also no strain on my low back.

The new suspension will help....but 2" of travel is 2" of travel...

Best of luck my friend!
Agreed! My back, and being mid 40's with a lifetime of "Dirty Jobs" under my belt has taken its toll. I will make it as best I can whilst retaining her beauty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts